Only slightly goose related

Jeff Reardon

Supporter
BIG blizzard up in Maine the last two days. 16" of heavy wet snow, with wind. About 250,000 Maine power customers, including me, are still without power. We've been running the generator and it will hopefully be back tomorrow.

Yesterday, outside doing round 1 of shoveling, in snow that was accumulating at least an inch an hour and winds over 30mph, I heard faint honking. Two geese sailed over my head at tree-top level on a beeline for the pond across the road. Ice went out at least 10 days ago, so I'm guessing the poor things had already staked it out to raise a brood, and are now wondering if that was a good idea.

On a related note, we've been running the generator, and the heat from the exhaust has rendered a small patch of my front lawn snow-free. All the worm eaters--I have observed many robins, a few crows, and one woodcock--are doing their feeding in that little square. Every time I go out to the generator to check the fuel, I'm flushing poor robins away.

I wish I had a picture of the woodcock. Watched it from the bathroom window in full worm dance mode for at least 3 minutes.

Jeff

Stay warm and hopefully the electricity comes back up ASAP. In the meantime I guess you can enjoy mutual of Omaha on that patch of lawn.

Power back last night after supper. Snowed again over night--not much but the bare patch is covered and the poor robins and woodcock are going to starve. Mutual of Omaha show has moved to the kitchen window, and it's only crows in the compost pile fighting over yesterday's kitchen scraps. I may sneak down to the canoe stashed on the pond tomorrow and see if I can find where those geese are nesting, though.

Back