Opening few weeks of the season NJ

Wesley Bouchelle

Season started out with a heck of a rainy day with down pours the birds didn't seem to move very much for me in my area. But knowing that the next weekend was going to be the opening day for our south zone here in NJ with nearly perfect tides in the area we were set to hunt we knew it was gonna be fun. Friday rolled around and we headed down to my buddies uncles farm in south jersey what we now call duck camp where we put the boats in the night before at the dock, went out to get eat at a small deli that has amazing food, then went back to the club house and tried to go to sleep. Woke up the next morning and headed back to the dock to hop into our boats and head on out. Got into our spot set up and waited for the sun to come up after a good 2 hours after shooting time the ducks didn't seem to be flying on the creek we were set up so we made a move and once we changed spots we had flocks of green wing teal mallards and a few black ducks working the decoys. We ended the day because the tide was going out quick with the wind with 8 green wing teal a mallard and a black duck.

Today was the closer of the first split of the south zone area we headed out early before low tide which was the middle of the morning. got set up in an area that we knew had good water all the way through the tide. when the sun came up we thought what happened to all the birds that were in this area last weekend. We ended up not seeing very many ducks but were lucky to get a pair of blue wing teal to come right into the decoys and one shot before i could get the gun up my buddy Colin Fitzpatrick dropped both with one shot.

Nice going guys! Congrats on the BWT, I just got back from an afternoon hunt in the south zone myself and still have yet to even see a teal... crazy.

Good job,Wesley. Sure loved those pictures and it was great to see such success. Congrats to Colin on the Scotch double.
Al

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Crazy how it just happened out of nowhere, they are gorgeous birds though. Thought the drake was wall worthy when I first saw it drop but he will taste just fine on the grill tonight!

Back