Operation "Retrieve and Recover"

DBrunger

Well, as some of you know, we lost our Chessie 'Lily' on Valentines day. I have been kicking myself for not breeding her when I had the chance, but with 2 children the timing just didn't line up. I went back to the breeder we got Lily from, and she sent me to her friend and fellow breeder who had a breeding coming up that was direct line from Lily. I sent in a deposit as soon as I could write the check.

My 8 year old has been begging us to get a puppy and even wrote a letter and a power point why we should get a puppy.

So we wanted to make it a surprise, and surprise it was!!! we showed up at the breeder after a 5 hour drive and the girls had no idea why we were driving this far to "see a friend". When we got there the girls were in shock over all the Chessies. The breeder was standing there with a little puppy in her arms and asked "how do you like your new puppy?" Emma looked at me with a shocked look and said "Dad... Daad..." and got quiet.

Here is the new deadgrass Chessie "Cal-I-Co Three Rivers Sandpiper"

her trip home was peaceful between the bouts of bickering over who got to pet her...

she gets a lot of attention

and even helps with laundry

she is a sweetheart! She loves to retrieve already, and I can see some of her great aunt 'Lily's' mannerisms. She is going to be a lot of fun and a lot of work, but all the kisses she gives makes it easy to do the work.

I truly enjoy threads of this nature - great kids and adorable puppies...

Congratulations on your new family member!!

Best,
Brian F.

Everything about that is cute. Congrats on the new puppy and great family.

Tim

That suprise is something you children will never forget. My 20 year old daughter can still tell me about the time we picked up "Ness" our chocolate lab.

She's BEAUTIFUL, as soon as I saw her picture I had a flashback to my Maggie of 40 years ago. The only LDg chessie I've ever had . Now i want a plamate for Big Gus.. Just looking at her run i can tell youve got a great pup. Enjoy her for many years to come

Congratulations on the new puppy! I have a 6 year old male Deadgrass Chessie.......my constant companion. Good Luck with the puppy stage!

Tim

Dave,
What a great post. I sure liked the letter that Emma wrote. That is another that needs to be saved "forever"!

Your pup is adorable. I think Piper will do exactly what you are hoping for with your family and with you in the blind. Good luck.
Al

So it has been a little while since I posted. The summer has been filled with all kinds of trips and experiences. Piper has been growing up nicely and getting big. She is a sweetheart of a companion. Emma is doing great taking care of her.
here she is with her floppy ears!
20130805_164115_zps549fc7dc.jpg
[/URL]

and her showing how attentive she is! "Did someone say Piper?"
2013-08-05085741_zps29c116c9.png
[/URL]

I went out and checked out our local NAHRA group and had her on her first duck (thanks to the help of one of the guys in the club). I was too busy to take a picture of her while she was retrieving, but this is the aftermath of a day in the field retrieving, watching and honoring other dogs as they ran in a fun test. Must be tiring huh?
20130811_134435_zps7af0a1e8.jpg
[/URL]

Thanks for the update. She is looking great, needs to do a little more growing to fit into those ears. :)

Tim

The letter is priceless.
I will take very, very, very good care
If that was not enough
I will take very, very, very, very good care.
How could you go wrong
good luck with the pup

Had a nice chuckle seeing the picture of Piper laying on that rug. Got a Chessie that lays on an identical rug in our house. Nice looking pup, I love the lighter colored chessies!

Back