opinions wanted: chesapeake/eastern shore region for new place to call home

Bruce...not shoveling snow and a place where it doesnt get hot in the summer is going to be a tuff place to find. If you do good luck getting a room!

I live on the ESVA and was born and raised here. We get some snow, but the summers are hot. We hit the 90's twice this week already. Of course today is a high of 64. We have two golf courses in Lower Northampton County. One Arnold Palmer and one Jack Nicklaus. There is one 18 hole course in Accomack County at the country club near Melfa. There may be some smaller courses near by. I'd personally rather be cut with scissors than pick up my clubs - where ever I left them.
Hunting is hit and miss big time. One day you can limit out and the next its terrible for weeks and vise versa. Fishing is good year round if you dont mind the heat in the summer, or cold salt spray for rock fishing. However we do typically kill a lot of geese.
If you come check out the area or have any questions just let me know. PM is best as I'll get a notification and my work load has not allowed me to get on the forums much in months.

Doug

Did I mention low property taxes? With homestead exemption, I pay about $650/year on a property with an assessed value of over $150,000.00. And $150,000 will still buy you a very nice 3/2 home in our area.
We do take a hit on sales tax, 9% on everything.

MN taxes - $6,000/year property. 7% (approximately and it varies) sales tax, 9.8% income tax and we paid the lovely 3.8% obamacare tax and I don't even get the obamacare for health insurance. And then we have the Federal income tax, investment taxes, SS tax, Medicaide/Medicare tx, and so on and so on. Don't know why I work so hard. All I know is one side of the isle wants to take the money from those of us who work for a living and give it to those who vote for their living. I don't see it changing.

Fishing and hunting in MN can't be beat but you will be shovelling snow though not as much as you do where you live now. And you did say you liked the cold so you would fit right in.

Mark W

Back