Our Help is Needed - UglyOrangeBarrier

P. Revicki

Hello, Everyone,
Our help is needed to assist in taking back a one mile stretch of the Ct River that is legally ours. CT Yankee Atomic Power Company confiscated a one mile stretch in Haddam blocking out sportsman and boaters and wildlife enthusiasts and has even threatened to do the same in the Salmon River Cove for self serving purposes. Please take a moment to read and sign this petition. It's shameful - we send servicemen and servicewomen abroad to fight and die for these very simple precious Liberties in our backyards and then a Big Corporation comes along and tears it away. Please sign the petition to get back this one mile stretch of public navigable water that belongs to the citizens of the United States. Thanks so much - here's the link:

http://www.change.org/p/deep-comiss...ugly-orange-barrier-on-the-ct-river-in-haddam

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete, signatures from out of state desirable? (That can be the kiss of death up here.)

Pretty outrageous--but I'm sure a floating boom is cheaper to construct and maintain than a security fence on land, and some pointy head didn't think about anything except the bottom line.

Absolutely - this was brought to my attention by one of my good friends who I Duck Hunt with and is also President Of Heart of Ct Bassmasters . All Sportsman and Sportswomen are joining in on this fight. People are joining from across the country - in just weeks there are already 437 signatures. Your exactly right - it could be your backyard next. Thanks for your support and continue to spread the word. Good hunting this Season.

Done. They had those yellow barriers along the river by me all winter when they were not even working in the area. They then just ended up getting taken out by the ice and they now are who knows where and just litter.

Wow! I took it on myself to read about the issue before I signed, and you can bet I'm going to sign.
Check this out: http://haddambulletin.com/resources/Home/seeing_orange-2014_08.pdf

Wow, what a story. Two things come to mind. Why does it take so many agencies and people to make simple decisions? And why hasn't anyone asked the obvious question. Did Mike Payton, the dude who signed the thing, hunt and or fish on this stretch of river? I bet the answer would be eye opening. Or, does he, or anyone he personally know benefit from closing the waterway?

Mark W

Those have been up awhile (i wanna say boston bombings)?we had a bass boat 1/2 way over it when a guy pulled up in a truck (there is a 24 hr security detail since there was or is nucleaur waste stored on site) usedto beawesome fishing up the creek only hunted the mouth shot a few birds......

Chris those have been there way longer than Boston, I think it was pre 9/11. I believe they first went up when they shut down the power plant. Lots of mergansers but awesome fishing.

EDIT>>> I didn't realize they blocked it at the mouth! It used be blocked a ways in there, a couple hundred yards anyway.

Last edited:
They took them out, all the way out, but recently put them across the mouth(2years ago?).

You used to go to the end pool and watch large mouth push bait against the rip rap. It was a good place to throw a rattle trap or spinner bait

Pete~

Done - thanks for letting us know.

Here is the reason it's important to me" that I included with my signature:

"Government actions erode rights all too frequently. It appears as though many policy/decision-makers do not truly understand the import of the term "right". The bar for any public agency to in any way curtail civil rights - whether imbedded in statute or common law - is, and must be, VERY high.

As with any right, the number of people who exercise the right is immaterial. Rights cannot be lost simply because of the "tyranny of the majority" nowadays cloaked as "homeland security".

As one who spent a long career in public service, I think I have an appreciation of the challenges of governing - and how difficult it is to do well. Sadly, I am appalled at all of the shabby public service all around me.

All the best,

SJS

Back