parker has spoken

rick born

the parker made its first trip back on the bay yesterday. their was skim ice on most of the canals creeks and small ponds. the temp was 18 with a 10 to 15 mph breeze out of the west. the day before I saw the ducks moving, trading back and forth looking to feed. this is something they having been doing in a while because of the warmer weather. I was thinking of spots to go in the marsh to show the parker a good hunt. the gun hasn't seen the bay in 35 to 40 years just sittin in the closet. this was a special day, so I went old school in the hunt. the al mc. blks and mallards came out, they being 35 yr old. I also brought out the pinnies and spoonbills for a little bit of color. I left the dock for aday of gunnin going west to gunning island the ride is about 3 to 4 miles, but into the wind all the way. I wasn't in a hurry I was hunting the drop of the tide. but needed to get back in before the water dropped out and the skiff wouldn't have the water to motor in. I get to the island with 4 hours left in tide and set the rig in knee deep water. the skiff gets pegged to island in a little cut out so boat is hidden real good which will look even better when water drops out. I get in the skiff and set up back rest get shooter my dog set in his corner of cockpit and take the gun out of case . I pull up the grass flaps and get comfortable for the wait holding the gun I am day dreaming of days of old. what this gun had been shot at it being 96 years old after a 45 min. wait a blk duck comes to the rig rite to the sweet spot and now I have to do this gun proud. the duck comes to edge of rig and I drop the flap put gun up the duck tips its wing to catch the wind and bang he is hit hard an drops to water dead. I send shooter for the retrieve. this a special moment with duck in one hand and the old parker in the other with shooter sittin at my side looking over the decoys. I raise the bird up to the sky and say this one was for you old friend.

What a great story, Rick. Glad that Shooter got that retrieve and that your shotgun continues on with lots of memories attached.
Al

Great story. The old Parkers really do the job, we had a Parker day this season with 10 of them in the marsh

Last edited:
That's enough to bring a tear to the eye of any ole duck hunter!

Rick L what load do you shoot in parker. I loaded 4 shot bismuth 1 oz. in sts Remington hull with fig 8 wad and 14.3 grains of 700 x powder. the velocity is 1107 fps and 7000 psi. the shell patterned great 30 in barrel full choke. it patterned real good at 30 yards destroyed a paper plate. it didn't have much recoil either. it shot as good as I can remember lead being.

For the 12ga Parker's and Foxes, I use a load out of the hogdon book

2 1/2 inch Cheditte hull
Cheditte 209 primer
WAA12R or claybuster replacement Wad
1 1/4 #4 bismuth
31.4 gr longshot powder
7200 psi @ 1350 GPS

The recoil is fine. The guns are full and full and anchor birds very well.

I do tend to shoot the short tens more often - since waterfowl is exactly what they were made for.
I use a load for the 2 7/8 Parker 10 s for an ounce and a quarter of bismuth in cut down federal hull with IMR 7625 and a Remington wad

Last edited:
Rick~

A great story - well told!

Nothing quite like the colors and the light and the fresh breeze. Congratulations!

SJS

Ed, I don't know how to post pictures not to good with computer or cell phones. to give you a mental picture the gun was completely restored to like new condition (re blued, case color with charcoal and original stock recheck and stained to parker standards). the gun belonged to my friend who died 2 weeks before his 98 birthday and duck season last year. I did the gun over in his memory because he gave it to me.

Back