Poachers

Foiles got nailed to the wall if I remember correctly. Feds hunted with him undercover when some of the infractions occurred.

I took a walk down memory lane and googled up the Foiles case. He was charged with 23 felonies but plead to 2 misdemeanors. Pretty weak for a career poacher who made a multimillion dollar "brand" by illegally commercializing our public waterfowl resources.

I didn't remember that he plead down to misdemeanors. He also got fined up in Canada if I remember correctly. And he did some jail time here in the states

this is a good one! I conversed with a state warden and you can get double dipped with federal here in Wisconsin, if what you did is egregious enough for the state warden to call in the fed. the fine for Wisconsin was 276.00 per bird, that was 10 years ago, likely more now. also, in Wisconsin, any thing used to aid in the crime can be confiscated. I know of an incident years back, 2 or 3 guys went over to Mississippi river, shot 40plus ducks, got caught, trucks, boat, guns, waders, decoys, etc. all equipment was confiscated. also, fine was roughly 300x40=12.000 just for the sate. not sure the fed. They did have the option to buy there own equipment back.

This would have turned out a lot diffrent if it had happened in Louisiana, they would have lost all their gear and been locked up for a stunt like that down here, not to mention the money they would have had to pay for the charges and lost of hunting privileges and gun ownership.

LDWF don't play with people when it comes to waterfowl down here.

Thanks

I think.

A black eye for hunters for sure.

Because non hunters don't separate us

Innocent until proven guilty but looks bad

As I understand the Bill Saiff instance

He has pleaded to a state charge and avoided the federal felony

A couple friends and I hunted with his guides last season

Think about it. -You pay a guide and don't know this story yet

What if that's the the officials decide to pounce?

You get caught up in their crime - a lawyer may well get you out but a lot of expense and grief for someone else's greed

Anytime that you hunt with a guide, or others that you do not know very well, you take that chance. Ignorance does not get you off, nor should it.

One must do their homework very well. Always expect the unexpected and have a very good understanding of all laws and regulations.

If you are not prepared to get checked by state, province, or Federal officers each time you go waterfowling. Sooner or later you are in for a big surprise.

Everyone in your hunting party must feel the same way, or you all pay.

Waterfowling & Outlaw have a deep past and present. It is something only each one of us can change.

Hunting partners that you can trust, and that can trust you, are bonds not easily made or replaced.

I don't disagree Vince

But up until he was busted - this guy had a good reputation -who'd a thunk it

I hunt factory loads instead of my reloads in those situations just to avoid confusion with loads

The funny part was the guides we had (he was not one of them ) checked that every one had license and stamps because they do get checked so often on that lake

Btw. In all my years of hunting. The only time my license was checked was many years ago I was sitting on a dike on state land watching where the birds were going in. A DEC officer came by chatted for a while and petted the dog. When he stood up to leave he said he ought to check just to be official. I showed him my stamp (back tag was visible) he never even asked to check the gun (a pump in those early days of steel shot)

Rick -

Guiding is a tough business. Clients want results as prices paid are pretty steep, and repeat business is very important. Unfortunately bending the law a bit can lead to breaking them.

I have not been on a guided waterfowl hunt since the 1980's. Everytime I did it was on the East Coast. Thankfully we never ran into trouble, but I knew it was possible and made as many inquires as possible. I did get the chance to meet some real characters though, especially decoy carvers.

Over more than 50 seasons I have been checked more times than I can count, in many states and provinces. When your life revolves around waterfowl hunting I guess it's to be expected.

So far so good...

Once while Teal hunting in Ohio, my partner and I invited a lone hunter to hunt with us over my hand carved decoys. We had a good hunt. As soon as I went to pick up the decoys our guest took out his badge, gave us the full treatment and inspection. My hunting partner was outraged, but the officer was just doing his job. Lesson learned.

Many states and provinces check you in the field, at camp, motel, or on the water. Other places it''s in the parking lot, traffic stops, boat launch, etc. I've been through them all, just lucky I guess.

The more successful you are hunting the more you draw attention. So you had better be within the law. Cuz word travels fast.

I have had more positive encounters with officers than negative ones, and often they can be of help to the hunt.

Hunting pheasants in ND a officer pulled into the parking area while we ate lunch and took care of the dogs. It was raining, he looked at the PA license plates on our vehicles. Shook his head and said "You guys from PA even hunt in the rain?!" We asked if he wanted to check us? He said "Nope I've seen enough good luck fellas".

Per the current NY Outdoor News. A plea deal is in place for the guide, and CORN (the gold standard for bait) was used. Some things never change...

Per the current NY Outdoor News. A plea deal is in place for the guide, and CORN (the gold standard for bait) was used. Some things never change...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as i heard a month ago from someone in the know- a hefty fine, two years without the guide license and a lower state charge not a fed one

i don't know if it was finalized that way - but i have no reason to doubt the source

Bill's fine was 5000.00 and an additional 10,000.00 to the waterfowl organization of his choice. Plus the 2 year loss of guiding

The fact that this guy is ever allowed to guide again is laughable. He holds himself out to be God's gift to duck hunting and is delusional as to his exalted status as "Waterman" extraordinaire. What a joke. He's basically a duck farmer.

However, I believe baiting is more prevalent where he hunts, and all over, than most people know.

I've been hunting 35 years and basically live on the marsh. I've been checked 4 times, once 'afield....the other 3, at the ramp....

It's up to the judge to accept or deny the plea deal.

$$$$$$$$$ talks and BS walks. Waterfowl and the waterfowl conservation & hunting community takes it on the chin.

If it had been baiting and killing feral cats, GAWD forbid he would be facing hard time, a huge fine and front page news & TV....

If it had been baiting and killing feral cats, GAWD forbid he would be facing hard time, a huge fine and front page news & TV....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

laughing-smiley-001.gif

all too true - in that case reporters would be in his face and on his door step 24/7

Back