Ponton/Bridge Boat

Dave Church

My neighbor and his sons have been outgrowing their Jon boat for the past few years and he recently brought home an Army Ponton/Bridge Boat. I think it was Troy Fields who posted pics of one of these several years ago (2012ish?) but I thought I would post a couple pics for those that have never seen one before. These boats were connected stern to stern and then had planking laid on top of them to form a makeshift bridge. They are very beefy and make for a great duck/fishing boat. Not sure of the width, but it is just shy of 19 ft in length. It is powered by a 60 horse. The stern outboard mount and the console were not part of the original design. Best guess from the info pulled from the internet says that it has a Max payload of 1260 pounds.

Dave

I think it weighs in around 700 lbs without the motor. I'm sure you could get it for a steak if you could find one at a government auction.

Dave

friend had one , not so good in open water, flat bottom seemed to plow not plane, rough wet ride, did not track very well, but good to bounce off rocks and to make bridges. Don't know where his ended up, Maybe it will work out better for them.
koz

All boats are definitely NOT created equal. Just as soon as you build/buy a boat to correct one problem or deficiency, you find out it has another flaw. This boat should be a great fit for the type of hunting they do and the conditions/area they hunt in. Deeper sides and a more stable platform was what they needed so this should do the trick. It will be interesting to find out what they DONT like about it......and there will be something....guaranteed.

Dave

Agree wholeheartedly, last count I had 13 , not counting two sitting partially sunk in Northern Quebec, always looking for just the right fit, but several for sale!
koz

Back