PR from the weekend

Chris Finch

i got out to my favorite spot on saturday morning for a dead low tide with my observer buddy. the fish were less numerous but there were still plenty to choose from. from my experience it seems that the fish wander around at slack and pile up on the rocks mid tide. my body is definitely becoming more relaxed and my breath hold is increasing quite nicely

i saw a bunch of stripers (a 50"er was tempting me to blast him), there was a blitz on our way out but we didn't have any rods, so we just watched them blast the peanut bunker.

24.5" ~9lbs

big boy, 19,19.5,16.5

Nice tog Chris! With all this "observation" you'll probably know right where to find the fish if you ever go back to chasing them with a rod and reel.

Very cool Chris. I've been toying with the idea of getting set up for free diving. Those Tog will eat good for sure.

the fisheries conservationist nerd in my has to clear up one thing you said...that big old striper is a she....any striper over about 32"ish is most likely a female.

not trying to preach or looking down on anyone's decision to kill a legal fish.... but with a fish that old she's better off swimming....she's a good one to have in the gene pool!!)

Keep up the diving....you're gonna convince me to take the plunge

-D

Must be pretty awesome to see all the life down there Chris.Good shooting BTW LOL

Dave in CT we can't shoot stripers. You can in RI and New York. Mass is a no go also. We all have reciprocal license's but the gear type bias sucks. (You can't even gaff them in ct).

Then our the blackfish seasons are all different. I'm pretty sure NY doesn't have a summer tog season but mass is open year round?

I'm not a "stripers are the greatest fish ever guy" I would much rather eat a smoked blue fish, blackfish, fluke, sea bass, ect. Smoked eel is near the top also

I would shoot a 30" striper over a 50" to eat though.

I just wish I could shoot more than 2 fish a trip, I have only seen a few short fluke, and the porgies/sea bass are to deep for me. My buddies spots in RI have produced a few trigger fish which I have heard is amazing. But then I again i thoroughly enjoy eider terrine and merganser wontons so my educated palette might be skewed.....

Triple tail, I heard are amazing to eat. They are also pretty cool looking. Did you get them on the rigs out there?

My dream is to shoot a halibut or move to New Zealand (so much seafood and 25 ducks a day? Sounds like paradise)

Who knows what will happen:)

Back