Question for Poke Boat owners

Mark W

Took mine out for its first float this past weekend. I was surprised at the stability as I thought it would be easier to roll. Pleasantly surprised.

I did have some difficulty with the boat and I knew this was something others have experienced as well. How does one easily and effectively get in and out of the thing? I could get out easy if I put my hands on each side of the cowling but know that this is not a good idea as it will eventually lead to cracking is my guess.

Rolling out isn't a solution. Don't ask me how I know this.

Thanks -

Mark W

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
How does one easily and effectively get in and out of the thing?

Uh, lose a few pounds?
Seriously, why do you feel the cowling will crack? How difficult would it be to reinforce it to hold the forces of using it to support yourself while entering and exiting?
[/font]

I know it will crack from listening to others who have had it happen and by seeing it myself this past weekend. If you have ever been in a Poke, it is VERY flexible. If I push on the cowling I can tell it is not a good thing to do. I'm not too interested in reinforcing as it will add stress to another place and doesn't really solve the issue.

I can see how getting out of a poke if you were just using it for kayaking would be relatively easy. Having a gun, backpack, dekes and other stuff in the boat and wearing the winter clothes and waders makes maneuvering difficult. Plus I don't want to be putting any part of my body in the near freezing water to support myself getting out.

Some have offered suggestions prior to purchasing the boat (Thanks Eric). Just seeking other opinions. I know I am not the only one who has had this question. And while I could lose a few pounds, weight is not the issue. Height more than weight and mobility.

Mark W

Hi Mark,
I have the Maxi and many other kayaks. I always use my paddle as a standing/balancing stick if you will. I only use the cockpit gunnel to keep my balance. I basically go to my knees first and then with the paddle taking much of my weight or push off, just stand and exit. Love that boat though!
Have fun.

Guess my best suggestion...don't hunt from a poke boat. ;) I've had folks tell me about hunting geese in one, sitting in his goose spread. He swung on the goose with his double 10 gauge. The second shoot in sequence rolled the poke. He sold it after that.
I've never considered the poke to be a good/safe boat to hunt with. But, that's just...MHO. ;)
Lou

Guess my best suggestion...don't hunt from a poke boat. ;) I've had folks tell me about hunting geese in one, sitting in his goose spread. He swung on the goose with his double 10 gauge. The second shoot in sequence rolled the poke. He sold it after that.
I've never considered the poke to be a good/safe boat to hunt with. But, that's just...MHO. ;)
Lou

I don't believe I will be hunting from the boat itself. With my Hoefgen I either use it to get to the place and then hunt from shore or I have one end of the boat on shore and hunt from inside.

I have heard of a few folks doing like your buddy who rolled it and I have heard of others who have neve rolled it. Similar to a canoe I would guess. I have rolled a canoe and others have probably never done so. Many hunt from canoes or use canoes to get somewhere.

Hopefully I'm in the latter category of never tipping the poke b

Mark W

Hi Mark. I've had mine for about 25 years now and I use it extensively for both kayaking and hunting. I'm 6-2, 225 pounds and the easiest way I've found to get into or out of the boat is to put my hunting bucket in the furthermost forward part of the cockpit and lay my cased gun so that the butt is on the floor pointing aft and the mid portion of the gun is resting on the bucket, muzzle pointing forward. Then straddle the rear of the boat, and slide the boat rearwards so that my butt is over the seat. Holding onto the gunnels, I lower myself down onto the seat. Getting out, I paddle to shallow water, preferably with the bow resting on shore and lift both legs out of the cockpit and let them hang over the sides. Then place your hands on the gunnels about where your butt is and push up. This will pivot your feet down till they touch bottom, which will help to secure the boat to shore. At that point you pivot your upper body forward with your hands moving forward along the gunnels till you get your balance and slide the boat rearward between your legs till you can stand up.
Admittedly, this was easier 25 years ago...
I use that same strategy in warm months also. Its much easier with shorts on.
I've done a lot of shooting out of mine with mostly 3" shells out of my Citori. I've yet to roll it, even shooting broadsides. The trick is to lean into the shot.
They are great boats. Mine was a factory blem which they sold for a reduced price. I can't ever see me getting rid of mine.

John

I have the Maxi Poke. Great boat. Mine has some oil-canning issues but still very stable. Yes, if you push down on the gunnels you can hear some creaking and cracking. Not great. I want to cut a piece of synthetic board and place it right under the gunnel standing straight up from the floor and tucked right up under the gunnel. I will them screw it in place from the top. I feel this will give the gunnel and deck extra strength and be able to put the gun and oars tucked behind the board. I have seen this done on a friend's boat and it works well.

Thanks John for the method you use. Yeah, 25 years ago this would be easier. I'll try it next time out.

I have the Maxi Poke. Great boat. Mine has some oil-canning issues but still very stable. Yes, if you push down on the gunnels you can hear some creaking and cracking. Not great. I want to cut a piece of synthetic board and place it right under the gunnel standing straight up from the floor and tucked right up under the gunnel. I will them screw it in place from the top. I feel this will give the gunnel and deck extra strength and be able to put the gun and oars tucked behind the board. I have seen this done on a friend's boat and it works well.

I thought of this but believe the stress will then just be put onto the hull which I don't think is a good thing. Nice to see someone else you know has done it and it works.

Mark W

Mark

I wouldn't do anything too rigid, it will likely lead to cracking in a different spot. My sea kayak has a cut foam block under the back deck, I can slip out of the cockpit and sit on the deck, then get my feet out (typically one on each side of the boat. I don't think the deck would take too kindly to the weight without the block, it is snugged in place, so I can remove it if I want to stow something "big", and it has some give, so there is not an edge to the supported area leading to cracking. It also has fiberglass that runs down the sides to the seat than lends support to the cockpit sides. The opening on the kayak is quite a bit smaller than a poke boat, I cannot imagine how I'd get in and out and stay dry with out sitting on the deck. The foam is quite dense, and obviously waterproof.

Chuck

Last edited:
Mark

I wouldn't do anything too rigid, it will likely lead to cracking in a different spot. My sea kayak has a cut foam block under the back deck, I can slip out of the cockpit and sit on the deck, then get my feet out (typically one on each side of the boat. I don't think the deck would take too kindly to the weight without the block, it is snugged in place, so I can remove it if I want to stow something "big", and it has some give, so there is not an edge to the supported area leading to cracking. It also has fiberglass that runs down the sides to the seat than lends support to the cockpit sides. The opening on the kayak is quite a bit smaller than a poke boat, I cannot imagine how I'd get in and out and stay dry with out sitting on the deck. The foam is quite dense, and obviously waterproof.

Chuck

Thanks for the suggestion Chuck - I like this idea as well. I can "glue" a 1/2" X 1'2" X 4' long piece of wood on the underside of the deck and on the hull then wedge a piece of dense but "squish able" foam between the deck and hull. Then I could push up on the deck and have the foam take some of the weight without putting too much stress on the hull. I know just the foam to use. Now I have to find it.

Between this, and using some of the methods others have shared getting in and out, it should be workable.

Mark W

Back