Question/help

wis boz

All the connections pulled loose from marine battery: bow, stern lights and spot lite all on a switch; depth finder,outboard and powerl lift direct to battery. Don't ask me how that happened. The question is "how do I start to restore this situation". The boat is a 16+ Starcraft runabout with deck, windshield converted to a duck boat. Age 1972 with no uniform color pattern to the wires. Do I take it to a professional for a healthy bill or try and figure it out myself. Any volunteers?
wis boz

Last edited:
I now have the out board & the power lift operational; the bow lite goes on with the dash switch but not the stern lite which should. A wire not connected will lite the stern lite when touched to positive pole. The depth finder is still non operable. Anyone venture a comment.
wis boz

Do you have a tester? If you reversed the polarity on your depth finder you may have caused damage. The fuse should go on the positive side. If light turns on in stern light check light pole for issues, might be poor connection from rust, bad bulb, bad ground.

Is your stern light a removable pole? My FILs boat came wired from the factory where the stern light is on if it's in the base, no switch to turn it off. Drove him crazy trying to turn it off at the dock!

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
the bow lite goes on with the dash switch but not the stern lite which should. A wire not connected will lite the stern lite when touched to positive pole
[/font]

Is the switch for the navigation lights similar to this one that pulls out to turn on?
270868.jpg

M-531 3-Position Switch
  • Three positions: Off/On#1/On #2
  • Permits operation of two circuits independently with one switch

If so, one of the terminals should be labeled "hot" or "power" or "batt". The positive wire should be hooked to that terminal. The switch will pull out to two different positions. The first position is for the anchor (stern) light only. Pulled all the way out to the second detent is for the anchor and bow lights together.

To determine which terminal to use for each light (bow or stern);
(A) pull the switch out to the first detent
(B) touch the positive wire from the stern light to either of the remaining terminals, try both, only one should light up the light.
(C) connect the wire to which ever terminal light the light in step (B) above.
(D) connect the wire from the bow light to the last terminal

If your switch is different than disregard the above instructions.

Shawn
You maybe right on the depth finder. I do have a tester and will check it out. Thanks.
wis boz

Mike
The stern light was factory installed, it pulls up when in use. I think Dave has hit it on the head with that switch. Thanks.
wis boz

Dave
You've hit it on the head. That is the switch, not a double click for one, but a single click for both or maybe I just didn't hear or feel the double click? I'll put my hearing aids on and check it out:). Thanks!
wis boz

Dave
I got a double click . You were right. Now all I have to do is find the line running the full length of the boat to that switch and tie it in. Thanks again.
wis bozr

I want to thank you guys that answered my ask for help. I decided to go to a professional and within an hour he had me back to operation. I matched his bill with an equal size tip and learned a good lesson go to the pro.
wis boz

Back