Refurb or burn....

Phil Nowack

I bought a trailer, boat, and motor... the boat is rough... but the package price was a good deal, if I burn the boat.

The Duckhunter does not leak.. but the floor is very rotted. This was made in 2006 with A/C plywood, not marine plywood. My long term plan is to make a 16'.. similar to the Toller ATC ( https://www.tollerboatworks.com/the-air-traffic-control-atc ) Option 1- burn the boat. Option 2- cut off the bottom and put a new floor in it. Option 3- cold form 1/4 ply to the outside... and make it water tight on the inside. Of course I will reglass it.

The 29 HP Kawasaki is too big and heavy for this boat. This setup is only good for a few seasons, no matter which option I go with.
View attachment 104553646_3928447113896302_6560303513205928610_o.jpgView attachment 106017994_3928447097229637_5351044860285153252_o.jpg

I don't know how bad the floor is, and I don't know how easy it would be to cut it out and replace it. I think if you sheathed it with quality ply and glassed it, then it could fill a lot of roles for a couple years. Ditch/sell the motor and use it as a layout boat, or if you have too many guys to hunt in one boat you could use it as a blind for extra hunters. I guess it comes down to whether you think you can find a use for it.

Good luck either way!

No. I don't like people.. many don't like me.. I have a 21' Duckwater and a 17' Devlin Scaup.. I don't need to haul people. I hunt alone or with 1 other almost exclusively unless I am layout hunting.. REAL layouts.. not marsh skiffs.

I bought it FOR the motor.. not the boat.. as I said... I was planning to make a 16' flat.

On this .. the hull IS the floor.

I personally would never make the Duckhunter, after being in it... too narrow for my liking.

The Duckhunter would NOT be a long term boat... I am just trying to figure out if it is worth spending . $2-300 to make this work for a couple years... or wait until I want to spend $2k on materials for the new hull. I would never build this.. or similar, any way but Stitch and Glue.

Observations you've already likely confirmed: 1.) The mud motor's mass has raised the center of gravity too high and made the narrow hull width a very dangerous combination. 2.) The bow lights work well to illuminate obstructions approaching...over the horizon since the bow rides high without any load. 3.) This hull has best utility when used in flooded timber on sheltered water, not open bays, large impoundments of the upper Mississippi, or large water bodies. ]

IF the hull can be salvaged at a reasonable cost, why not simply sell it with full disclosure that it needs repairs and what they likely would cost the new owner? At least this way you recover some of your cash outlay, and/or initiated the "building fund" for the right hull to fit that motor.

I frequently hunt alone, too: Four years ago we were hunting the diver flights on the St. Marys River near Neebish Island. We had been there for three days in mixed sleety snow conditions with consistent hunting success on three huge pods of redheads scattered over about three miles of the river, along with some ringnecks, bufflehead, and some scaup pods. Two guys showed up our last day at the cabins we rent from pulling a V-bow Jon Boat with a fixed elevated blind on it and mud motor. We had just finished cleaning birds from the morning's outing and were reorganizing gear and taking gas cans down to refill my partners Crusader-19. It was pretty apparent that the two new hunters were from the Saginaw Bay area, based on their rig. They dressed quickly to launch their boat and go scout the open water, layered head to toe in Sitka Gear togs, all of it shiny out of box new. Strong southwesterly breeze blowing, so I warned them they would face a stiff chop with up to three footers when they cleared the headland to the south (Kemp's Point), which they ignored. After they launched, the truck owner pulled the trailer and drove back through the resort to the designated trailer parking area while his partner attempted to dock their rig in an empty slip. I held their boat in the shallows while his partner, butt-crack guy, started-up the mud motor...wow those things are loud! It became quickly evident that he was having major difficulty maneuvering the boat in the wind. He had said during introductions that it was his boat, so I assumed he knew how to pilot it. After three passes at the open slip bay he kept missing the point of timing when he needed to really hammer the throttle to get the hull to "answer" and come around on the wind to ease it into the slip. On the last two of those passes I ended-up having to lay on the motor cover of Steve's boat and use my wader-clad leg and foot to push the Jon boat's bow away before he skewered Steve's Yamaha 115hp motor. On the fourth pass, I shouted again to "hit the gas hard" when he needed to throttle-up to get the bow to spin around around on the wind where he could better control his boat's approach; which he ignored again, so I grabbed Steve's boat hook and stepped out of the Bankes and wrapped myself around a piling at the end of the slip he was trying to get into. I grabbed the gunnel with the boat hook and used my position on the piling to leverage as much upper body force I could muster to jerk his bow around to get him lined-up with the open slip and get the front third of the boat in and aligned enough that he could "bumper car" it in the rest of the way. I got a nasty look for my efforts.... That's when I demurred on telling them that they would be better served, with their shallow water rig, to trailer over to the State Campground on the Munuscong River and run-out onto open water to hunt. I did tell them where the ring necks were concentrated on the bay. Butt-crack guy never spoke another word to me; how odd. Oh, they came back from their scouting trip soaked...and tied-up in another slip farther away from us. Louie appreciated that enhanced tie-up distance from his boat...

Yep, I vote for giving it a Viking funeral. And I hear ya when you say "I don't like people....and many don't like me." I have a shirt that says "I like fishing and maybe 3 people." My wife is embarrassed when I wear it, but lot's of things that I do embarrass her.

If its a viking funeral, we want video!

I hear yah, I prefer to hunt along or with my daughter. It's my time alone.

Dwight Harley said:
Yep, I vote for giving it a Viking funeral. And I hear ya when you say "I don't like people....and many don't like me." I have a shirt that says "I like fishing and maybe 3 people." My wife is embarrassed when I wear it, but lot's of things that I do embarrass her.

but is she one of the 3 people?

Put her up on the forum. Some one is always looking for a project. I have a jersey boat that needs a bottom [fresh water was left in it] for $50 donation to Duckboats.

I think I am leaning toward cleaning up the floor, and glassing a sheet of plywood over the rotting deck.., filing any voids with thickened epoxy. The glass on the outside is still good. When I bought it, it came with glass and a gallon of epoxy. This will work for a season or 3. I can give it to my nephew after that... or have a Viking funeral.... Or if it turns out to be beyond repair.. I can use it for a template then burn.

Insure it and it magically sinks, with every gun you own in it. The should some political back in the future want to take your guns, you have a good reason as to how you lost possession of them. My boat sunk last season with every gun I ever owned.

Mark.

Last edited:
Have you run it around yet? The Gator hull, if it's built as designed, is probably one of the worst ones I can think of for a mud motor, that much rocker and the skinny transom just don't work great for them, I'd be curious to see how that one performs. Also it looks like they put that engine on a Backwater frame, they make the best longtails around in my opinion so that's a bonus!

Last edited:
Back