Relocating a cabin

Brad Wainscott

So we purchased this cabin yesterday after a couple months of negotiating and after it being sold and falling through. This is said to be one of the oldest log cabins in our county. We will move the structure in the spring and relocate it to our family farm. Can't wait to restore the structure to it's natural glory and watch the process as it happens. Glad we finally acquired it, now to choose a spot where she can rest her bones for good.

now that is very cool

there is a living history museum near here that has relocated buildings from log cabins to a Victorian mansion - covering the first 100 years of the settlement of the area, a lot of work

please post pictures of the project as it progresses

That is so awesome!

We know a couple a little ways from here, who did basically the same thing. The disassembled the entire thing, blasted the logs with corn media, then moved it to their winery property. They reassembled it, built a few rooms around it using sawed lags from their woods, and turned into a bed and breakfast. My Wife and I go there at least once a year for special occasions.

Good luck with it and keep us posted!

Jon

Definitely, they actually had been renting this out as a house for years. One day they decided to take all the siding off and do some of the hard work for us. There were a lot of people who had no idea it was even a cabin.

Definitely, they actually had been renting this out as a house for years. One day they decided to take all the siding off and do some of the hard work for us. There were a lot of people who had no idea it was even a cabin.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
many were sided with clap boards to "modernize" them, a two story hewn log home home in that museum I mentioned was saved because it was abandoned and was to be bulldozed to make room for a highway. when the dozer hit it, it did not move. The driver pulled off some damaged siding and was responsible enough to contact historians who brought in the museum. Another was discovered when new owners went to replace the old dilapidated siding.

Saving these pieces of history is a great thing. Our home is an 1830 stone house that likely replaced the original log home as the farmer became more affluent (the family built 5 stone homes- 4 remain). We are glad to be caretakers for a while

Last edited:
Too cool. I know this this cabin was once very close to the river and moved a very long time ago. It was also said that an African American family were the first to live in the cabin which is some cool history. It was sold and going somewhere far away. I'm just glad it will only be going down the road. Looking forward centuries to come, hopefully there will the story of how it came to rest where it will soon be.

I became involved in a similar project on a larger scale twenty-some years ago. The USFS was going to raze a Grand Camp complex erected by Cyrus McCormick and his family on White Deer Lake in what is now the McCormick Tract Wilderness area. McCormick had erected a series of log structures to provide lodging, a library, cook house and several guest quarter cabins in a wheel and spoke array that mimiced the Grand Camps in the Adirondack Mountains. Several State-level legislators brought pressure through Michigan's Congressional delegation Washington that eventually "moved" the USFS to offer the structures for salvage via bids. Tom was the high bidder on the structures. He had hoped to disassemble the structures with volunteer labor and re-erect them on State land nearer Marquette as an historic site. The structures remain in storage in the owner's wharehouse.

Good luck, you have quite a task ahead of you!

Brad,
Cool cabin and an awesome project!
When I was in my twenties I used to work for a building moving company. The first moves I worked on were an old farm house in Kent Conn. owned by James Taylor, and a brick administration building at the Promfret School also in Conn. That was some hard work, but awesome to be part of the whole operation. I was always in awe every time we finished moving a building. Congratulations and best of luck.

Zane

That is very cool. Does not look to be in that bad shape either. What a great thing to do though to save it for future generations! Congratulations!!

Back