Removing Motor from Transom for Hunting

Steve O

Just wondering if anybody else has found it much more convenient to hunt out of their boat with the motor temporarily removed, and, more important, whether this poses any potential problems for the motor.

I hunt out of my small (11-foot) boat by either sitting more or less upright in front of a traditional spray dodger on a seat that rests on the floor, or (where there is no higher natural cover around the boat) from a reclined position (much like one of the setups Steve Sanford has provided photos of).

The first year I would remove the motor to hunt (and either stow it beneath the boat's deck or lay it on its side (and covered with camo cloth) nearby if there was dry ground.

Then, for a few years, I would leave it on the transom when hunting. This year, after the mounted motor blocked a shot at 2 beautiful mallards, I decided to go back to removing the motor.

The motor's just a 5-horsepower 2-stroke, so its plenty light, and getting it on and off the transom is easy.

One obvious problem is having to row (rather than motor) after cripples when the water's too deep for safe wading.

Thanks for any input.

Guess my concerns would be as follows:
- Water freezing in the motor if trapped because it was positioned such that it could not drain.
- Carburetor issues from fuel line connection. Could some marsh mud make its way onto the prongs you could end up with problems on the water.

Maybe some with more mechanical experience will diminish my concerns? The freezing should not be a factor so far in New England this year.

I have not done so but plan to once I learn to scull. To scull properly I understand that you need to weight the bow so the motor will serve as that weight for me. I rarely motor after cripples, I pole after them. A pole is needed to move through the rice and weeds anyway. I do not transport the motor on the boat it rides on its side in the truck. I have never had an issue with the carb. When cold I normally pull the motor over a few times to clear any water from the impellor.
I have not had any lost birds because of it but I have though removing it would be a good idea as it is always the highest thing in my boat other than me or my partner.

Thanks for the thoughts and input. I haven't added a pole to my on-board equipment, but that's probably a good idea too.

As for pulling the motor a few times to clear water, that seems smart even if the motor stays on the transom if it's going to be out of the water in that position, so certainly makes sense if I'm removing it from the transom.

Last edited:
Put the boat into the shore backwards and shoot over the bow. Bow is probably easier to hide than the transome.

Sounds like the easiest solution to me........ I'll have to remember that if I get out to hunt again this season, all dependent on our weather. I normally just raise my 2 HP outboard out of the water and its held up with a spring loaded pin.

Steve & Bob~

Here is a bit of my experience and thoughts.

1. On my first grassboat, I tried removing my 9.9 Johnson and setting it on the bog during the hunt ONCE. I was in a spot where I could easily pick up downed birds with either my waders or my pushpole and I thought I'd have a better hide. The tide came up, got my engine wet - and I was glad to have the pushpole since I had to shove all the way back to the trailer (although I had oars, too). Having said that, IF I did want to remove a motor to hide or see better, I would put it on or in the boat.

2. Ultimately, I hunted with the motor on the transom, with a thatched cover over the motor. If I had enough water, I would have the engine down. If not, I simply kept the catch released and let the motor sit as low as it could. I usually position the boat so that it is neither perpendicular nor parallel to the rig. Instead, the boat is canted alongside the bog so that I am shooting to my left and the motor only rarely would obscure a low-flying bird.

Sneakbox%20-%20SJS%20on%20Thatch%20ca%201990%20-%20shortened_zpsbjtfkorw.jpg

3. I also tried shooting over the bow as Bob suggested. I designed my first 2 boats that way. However, I found that is was frequently difficult to push the boat as far into the marsh or against the shoreline because the square transom would fetch up and I would always have to raise the engine all the way up. Bow first was much easier because the spoon bow would find it way up over bog and weeds.

Also, I use the spray dodger - when it is folded down - to hide my head and shoulders. So, I want to face aft when gunning.

SJS%20Sneakbox%20-%20Moriches%20Bay%20early%2090s_zpsjfzzwaiq.jpg

4. Finally, I use a pushpole all the time when gunning marshes. (I even have a short one for use in my canoes.) Mine is about 11-feet long and is always handy because it stows on deck. I like the duck-bill head because the bottom can range from hard sand to soupy mud.

B%20-%20Pushpole%20Chock_zpswrt2t8h9.jpg

Hope this helps!

SJS

Thanks for the additional input.

You know, until I read Steve Sanford's above reply I figured the explanation for seeing so few photos of people hunting out of sneakboats without motors on the transom was because nobody would be able to easily heft a motor larger than 5 horsepower.

Steve, you must have been on the olympic powerlifting team to have lifted that 9.9 horsepower on and off the transom. That sounds like a hernia-maker.

If I ever build another duckboat I suspect it will be very small and light, with a motor more the size of the one Scott describes. Such a vessel would be quite versatile in a little state like Rhode Island, with the huntable freshwater spots being few and mostly tiny.

By the way, Scott, that's a real nice looking scull boat. Thanks to Steve and to Scott for sharing your boat photos.

Back