Rollover boat

Very cool! I picked one up years ago and have yet to give it a try. Mine was built near Harrisburg, PA went to Michigan and has made it back to me south of Harrisburg on the Susquehanna river once again. I've got to give it a try...

Gene Jr. said:
Very cool! I picked one up years ago and have yet to give it a try. Mine was built near Harrisburg, PA went to Michigan and has made it back to me south of Harrisburg on the Susquehanna river once again. I've got to give it a try...
The first time I gunned The Susquehanna was with Gabby Hartman, That was 1963.He used a roll over above the rt. 30 bridge , what a thrill. We got 4 blacks and a pair of Greenheads. Good luck with yours and be safe, I am sure you know about The River.

[size 4]Good for you Brad! Is that a fiberglass version? Used to watch some guys who came up from near Louisville gun the stretch above Markland Dam (mid-80's). They'd float right down the center of the River laid over on one side. Man could those guys shoot! Lost art.... you can revive it! Be careful out there.

Just watched a video. Wow, this hat is a different way to hunt. I?m thinking this might be considered open water hunting up here which is. It legal except for very few places.

Mark

I had never heard of a "rollover boat." The way it is used is very similar to the sneak rigs used on canvasbacks in Lake St. Clair.
Larry

Brad Wainscott said:
I got a new boat man is this thing fun I?ve never seen one with a blind either the kids love it!

Looks like yours has a motor. Can you roll it to the side under power?

MIKE-SID said:
Brad Wainscott said:
I got a new boat man is this thing fun I?ve never seen one with a blind either the kids love it!

Looks like yours has a motor. Can you roll it to the side under power?

Not rolled when under power. These boats have motors so the hunter can cover river miles while glassing ahead for birds on the water. When a scull is started (usually over a 100 yds from the birds spotted), the motor is shut down and the boat is rolled and handled with the paddle as it drifts with the current. Therefore, wind and current are factors that have to be considered when hunting one of these boats.

Last edited:
Different styles in different regions. On the Susquehanna, decoys are used. The hunters motor up river, above the decoys and hang on an anchor watching the decoys. When birds light, they pop off the anchor, and drift down into the decoys. I had a rollboat, but sold it to finance the purchase of the Scaup. I still have a Susquehanna Sneak Boat, that needs restoration... instead of rolling the Sneak Boat, it uses a canvas and brush screen on the foredeck. In like fashion a short canoe paddle is used to guide/steer with minimal motion.

Back