Rooster! NDR -- updated 1-1-2017

TimJ

No ducks around so we have to find some way to pass the time.
A couple screen shots off of the latest video. Just showing that pheasants don't hold for pointing dogs. :)

roostergrass_zps9yloejoy.jpg

rooster_zpsxxvxtt3d.jpg

Tim

Last edited:
Dave, Tim is just heading for the top of the hill--

Tim, that is a great shot on the cock pheasant. Your hunting partner looks to be doing just fine.

How much more time before the pheasant season opens?
Al

Rick,
Well it wasn't that simple. There was another hunter coming into the public land I was walking and the bird flew in his general direction so I waited until it curved away from him and missed the long shot. He ended up being a nice young man who just didn't know that he couldn't get to the cover from where he parked. I ended up inviting him to hunt with Deuce and me. I think he got to see a dog point for the first time. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dave,
I think Columbus proved that the earth was round a long time ago...maybe that was after you were in school.
Its a screen shot from a 170° lens. Imagine how close that rooster was with that wide of angle.

Al,
The season is open but there are still a lot of crops in the fields. Not a lot of birds taken yet but I think it will get better.
Video of a nice bird we took a short time later. Not very pretty but more typical of our early season running birds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvG5KUb_Mmk We've been having a little issue with Deuce thinking any bird that flops needs to be really dead so that is why I call to him a lot. Trying to speed him up.
Another one from opening day. We had several nice points from Deuce and my sister's Brittany. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goF2KSVagPY

Tim

That's awesome!!! My problem isn't getting birds to hold for my pointing dog...it's getting my pointing dog to hold for birds :)....she'd a' snatched that bird right out of the air as soon as it flushed. She's getting better though, she just takes off when the gun goes off now. But we're working on it. As a retriever she's aces though.-Seth

Seth,
My dog has caught a couple birds but it is usually ones that get stuck of the flush in snow covered cattails. My sister's Britt is a little jumpy but she's getting better. It can be a tough thing to control.
I quite trying to stop Deuce from breaking when pheasant hunting. It ends up with me just yelling and him not caring. Talked to the breeder I got him from and he said his dogs that are all master hunters and some VCs break on pheasants. He said no big deal for him when hunting, he just cleans it up for testing. If he doesn't get worked up about it I decided it's best that I don't either.

Craig,
Yeah, you know that nothing looks close on an action cam and when it does it is very close. I love it when I can feel the air off of the wings when they flush.
It's mounted on my hat. I tried a head band for about 10 minutes and hated the feel of it. I took a couple baseball caps, put a hole in the bill, shoved a 1/4" bolt through it with a few washers and a nut and made my own action cam hat. I have to have the cap tight but it works well for me.

Tim

Good to know. I use the headband for fishing videos but have yet to use it while hunting. I'd like to do more recording for upland so I'll give the ol' 1/4" bolt mount a try.

Screenshot2016-07-04-13h29m50s102.jpg

Nice Post!

Seriously, cool pic, amazing how a bird that brightly covered can hide in next to nothin'!

Craig your fishing videos are works of art. That is a beautiful fish.

Thanks guys....just a couple more birds from yesterday. Got an old one after a 100+ yard point and track job. Sometimes big old birds act like big old birds.

10-26a_zpsvppttcqo.jpg

oldbird1_zpskczawvc5.jpg

spurs_zpsg9peiwbg.jpg

Tim

Great pics! Keep 'em coming.

Iowa starts Saturday, but I don't think I can make it up until thanksgiving. Kansas starts in a couple weeks. It should be interesting, seems like there's a ton of grass here. In Iowa, the habitat is really limited, so you can pretty much assume you'll have birds wherever there's some grass, but I don't think that's the case here.

Dave,
I think Columbus proved that the earth was round a long time ago...maybe that was after you were in school.
Its a screen shot from a 170° lens. Imagine how close that rooster was with that wide of angle.

HA HA HA HA HA

A little update.
We have still been finding some roosters. It has been so nice duck hunting hasn't seemed like a good option. Last weekend while pheasant hunting in short sleeves I was getting bit by mosquitoes. Crazy for November.

After voting on Tuesday I had enough time to get out to a local GPA to see if I could get Deuce on a bird or two...and to be honest I felt like at a minimum making some noise.
Deuce has been fighting a little limp to so after a couple days off I figured he needed some action.

Not too far in he pointed a hen. Then he entered the tall grass and became motionless again.
It's a little hard to see him because it was shoulder high bluestem, switchgrass and who knows what else but he is there taking in the scent.

point.jpg_zpsxnx4scsr.jpg

That led to this view

shot1.jpg_zps7a0hihvx.jpg

Which in turn produced this.

rooster1118_zpsx5hreay8.jpg

A little after that Deuce tracked one a short ways that tried to get behind us but it had to take to the air when he cut it off.
That produced this retrieve.

deuce118jpg_zpsxfxm12tx.jpg

Another tracking job, but this time well over 100 yards, produced this big beautiful mature rooster at the end. I weigh a lot of the birds I shoot and this was the first true 3 1/2 pounder of the season. They are rare. Most roosters are from 2 1/2 to 3.

rooster118_zpsfcade2sh.jpg

I wish they had all been over points but the were all well worked by Deuce and I did my job. This is the first time with Deuce that I have taken 3 birds with 3 shots over him.
He was a happy pup and we only used about 30 minutes of the hour we had at the end of the day.

4475e1a0-c3eb-46e6-95ad-7015db6ca699_zpswobdtox9.jpg

Tim

Thanks for the update, Tim.

I used to hunt with a guy who had a pair of shorthairs, and he always said, "for pheasants, you need a dog that knows when to break the rules." and "If the dog is birdy and a rooster flushes, go ahead and shoot it."

Back