Season report

Mark W

20 ducks, maybe. That's about it. Horrible season this year, worse I can recall.

Opener was great and a couple of hunts after that and then no ducks. I haven't shot a duck since early October I am guessing. Sat in a couple places and had ducks swim into the decoys but I have a thing about shooting ducks on the water or even screaming at them and shooting them a they jump up.

Motor was out for 1.5 weeks and whie fixed, it isn't running correctly. Tiurned out being a bad head gasket. Since getting replaced, the motor just doesn't stay running without a lot of coaxing. Doesn't run well when idling and even when it is tiled it runs rough. Shop is competent have done a lot to fix my motor in a timely fashion so I'll be bringing it back to them after the season.

Went out to the "good spot" yesterday morning. Water at the landing was down about a foot fro the last time I went out. I knew this was going to make it difficult to get out to the good spots but thought I would give it a go. Got about halfway across the lake and starting hitting sandbars just under the surface. With a finicky motor, I ended up walking quite a ways to get to where I needed to be. Then when getting there, the water was so shallow, I couldn't get the boat to where I wanted to be. Time to hide the boat and carry everything over to the hunting spot. Got set up, wind was right, a little overcast, 52 comfortable degrees. Nothing. Saw 4 birds that were a long wasy off. Stayed a few hours, packed it in and boated home. Backed the trailer down and loaded the boat. Taking it out of the water I could see in my rearview mirror that the boat was tilted. Got out to look and one of the roller assemeblies had moved (how the heck that happened I have no idea). Something to fix today.

Was hit by a deer coming back from a hunt a couple of weeks back. I didn't stand a chance. Woods were right up to the shoulder and I was doing 65mph. Saw it coming and knew it was going to hit. I didn't slam on the brakes as I was prety certain I would then hit it dead on ruining any hope of driivng home.. Deer hit right at the driver side mirror and window. Took out that mirror and damaged every quarter panel including the rear gate. Estimate of over $7K to fix and I can't get it in till December. Hopefully the will rent me a pick up as this is about the tart of ice fishing. They expect it will take 3-4 weeks of shop time which I find hard to believe.

Going to try and afternoon shoot tomorrow in a spot I haven't been at in yearws. Don't expect to see anything but it gets me out. Then this weekend I'm heading back to the cabin for a few days of hunting. Last couple of times out in my honey hole it wasn't so sweet. No ducks coming my way (except for swimmers) but hundreds landing across the bay. I don't think there are any occupied residences over on that side but not sure. I think I can set up and be a couple hundred yards or more away from seasonal homes. Wish me luck. If not there, the usual spots that were frozen over up there should be open water by now.

Season closes 11/21 for Northern WI. Might make it to the end with open water. We will see.

Mark W

Mark,

Sounds like you paid your dues this season. Sorry to hear that it was such a bust.

it reminds me of the season when I was pulling the boat from Longview to Astoria. It was late in the season for us (we get over 100 days out here) so the bridge over Mary's creek (a long sloping 2 lane bridge about 100 ft over the creek) was iced up and as we crossed in the dark, my boat and trailer decided to pass us as the truck went sideways. It was all in slow motion.

The boat and the truck both hit the guardrail. it flipped the boat and the trailer and threw all of our gear from the bed of the truck all over the span of the bridge. My shotgun skidded about 100 feet on the road, but fortunately Ol' Alex slept through the entire event in the extended cab of the pickup truck.

Some folks helped us gather up our gear and get the boat back upright on the trailer, and we had to limp it home at 20 mph.

The next day we hooked the boat to my other truck and went hunting as usual.

The following week (on christmas day) some assholes stole my one remaining truck and I was without wheels for the last month of duck season. I was pretty steamed about it, but maybe God didn't want me out there running around on the river so he sidelined me.... Either way, It was a drag but I was able to get out there with a new truck the next year.

Hang in there man. Maybe next season will be gangbusters for you, I'll hope that is the case.

It sucks when you get a down year. Makes you remember the good ones. Maybe your old spot will be this year honey hole. You still have two weeks, give 'em hell.

worst season ever.lost hunting on an army base when they stopped allowing disabled vets using electric assist devices to get to blinds. Then broke my wrist falling into hidden ditch.

Back