September - What on your workbench?

CJ - I can only imagine what your neighbors think...

Tim - I'm with Brandon, nice job on the bluewings... Pat

Last edited:
Well its raining here today and by rain I mean filling the lakes up quickly type of rain. So I went ahead and sized down some more pictures of decoys I recently finished. These two were an absolute blast to do. I don't think its possible to do Mergansers and not be influenced by Keith Mueller. Hollow cedar bodies, inlet basswood head, painted in oils and pad weighted and rigged for hunting.

I don't think I will ever get tired of carving or painting mergansers.

2014-09-01-Decoys-079.jpg

Chuck, two dozen is a big project. Did you seal with spar on the cork?

No...it's kind of an experiment...I probably should have done a smaller experiment, but I figured if it fails, repainting isn't too big of deal...

I think I'm going to do spar on the teal and cans though

Jode, you might want to get up wit Dobrosky regarding sealing that cork--Not like wiley, and if NOT SEALED, will absorb like a sponge. Sealed, it is fine--Look for some sort of matte varnish you might be able to apply after burning.
Have fun--I am dealing with the opposite--Making a group of wood divers--Actually messing about with a hatchet, also.. Man, that kills your forearm!!!

Jode, you might want to get up wit Dobrosky regarding sealing that cork--Not like wiley, and if NOT SEALED, will absorb like a sponge. Sealed, it is fine--Look for some sort of matte varnish you might be able to apply after burning.
Have fun--I am dealing with the opposite--Making a group of wood divers--Actually messing about with a hatchet, also.. Man, that kills your forearm!!!

LOL what is that old saying. " turnabout is fair play!" man make sure to count your fingers when you done with the wood chopper!

This might be Wiley , it is about 15 years old and has that resiny smell I remember Wiley having. Either way I was thinking of sealing with boiled linseed oil or spar varnish then burning.......

Last edited:

Thanks Steve. Yes took them out of an old shop brush. It was worn enough they had a natural curve to them. I believe they are horse hair.

As usual, I have several projects cooking along at the same time. I am gearing up now, though, to start making hay on the pilothouse for Cassiopeia - a 25' T-Craft that will serve as the "mother ship" for Craig Kessler's open bay broadbill rig. I will spend a few days on Long Island next week mocking it up full-size. The first step is to fabricate the actual "sole plates" - the framing members for the 'house that will be bolted to the existing moulded coamings on the boat. The front of the house will bow out a few inches in three sections - port-center-stbd - AND the deck has about 2 inches of crown across 6 foot of beam. I have decided to do this the easiest way and laminate the forward sole plate.

I first built a jig - from salvaged lumber - that has the 2 inches of crown that I had scribed off the actual deck last month. The jig is covered with cellophane tape so I can epoxy 4 layers of 1/4-inch AC plywood together without gluing the whole thing to the jig. I cut each laminate oversize so there will be plenty of stock when I cut and bevel the cured layup to the final lines.

Jigamplaminations_zps216b6099.jpg

Here it is all glued and clamped - US Composites 3:1 epoxy thickened with colloidal silica (Cabosil).

ForwardSolePlate-glueup-small_zpsd34f7dfd.jpg

Note how the handles on all the clamps are headed in the same direction - more symptoms useful for my OCD diagnosis...

Those Bean's Coastal Blacks on the other bench - part of a batch of 14 - are ready for some face paint.

All the best,

SJS

Nice job on that acrylic, Tim. That has me all stirred up because our season opens one week from this morning.
Al

All of these are acrylic stabilized barrels with African Blackwood inserts.

call-634_zpsd486a15a.jpg
[/URL
[/url]]
Green Buckeye Burl

Call-630_zps3a2c7d85.jpg
[/URL
[/url]]

Blue Box Elder Burl

call-632_zps5dc937f5.jpg
[/URL
[/url]]

Spalted Bradford Pear

Call-631_zpsa3343679.jpg
[/URL
[/url]]

Big Leaf Maple Burl

Well not quite on the level of some the other redheads in here. I finished up my four gunners, the wood diver rig is coming along nice.
20140906_170951.jpg

Back