Sinking decoy line...

Nate Grace

OK, so for years I have used para cord for decoy line. The trouble is, the stuff doesn't really sink and can be plainly seen from above. What do you folks use for decoy line, and do you have any recommendations for a good, sturdy sinking line?

Thanks,
Nate

IMO, ducks cannot see decoy line from any distance and even if they could, they would think it was just vegetation. By time they could see it, you need to be shooting!!!

That said, tarred trotline cord from Memphis Net & Twine is great stuff. I have used it for years, I have some decoys that have the same line from 1998 and its still holding up fine. I believe they make both twisted and braided.

I switched away from para to Avery black PVC line mainly because para held so much water and I would "wring it out" as I spooled my decoys and get wetter than I had to be. Seems like a small concern, but it bothered me. I run all Avery and crimps. It's not nostalgic, but I like it...And it sinks by the way....

I use a tan braided nylon, about a 24 thread, make a 6 - 8" coil of the nylon and dunk half the coil in net dip, which is nothing more then non fibered foundation coat thinned with thinners. Let it dry , Now you have a camo decoy line, the light and dark parts break up the look of the line and it blends with both a sand or dark bottom.

Does it matter? probably not, but it's one less thing to blame. :)

Braided "decoy" string. I think I've got mostly Tanglefree.

Have been switching over to clear weed whip cord and crimps.

I'm a big fan of the pvc line. Either Avery or tanglefree. Rig em right doesn't like cold weather and cracks. Tanglefree is the best but is more expensive, Avery is the best value in my opinion. I like the pvc because tangles are kept to a minimum and tangles that do arise are much more easily delt with. Also it cuts cleanly if hit with the prop instead of wrapping a hundred times. I'd rather lose a weight than have to deal with a wrapped prop when the wind is picking up

Braided nylon dyed brown for longlines and tarred seine twine for droppers. Memphis net and twine and sometimes Walmart

Nate , Go to a fishermen supply co. that sells to commercial fisherman they have all good stuff & buy a roll of black braided nylon it will sink & not tangle very easily. O buy the roll of decoy line from Cabela's.

tarred line over here bought from a commercial fishing house but have gotten it from memphis with great success

400lb mono with commercial fisherman's crimps works well for me-it's clear in the water and won't tangle in the bag.

Nate, Bob Metrich at Decoy Rigs sells braided nylon and others in various thickness. He is in Indiana and does have a catalog. I don't think he is on the web. Let me know if you need more info.

I finished the Herters 72's, epoxy and corn cob they look great.

I use the tarred line from Memphis Net and Twine as well. For single rigs, droppers and mainlines. The mainlines are a heavier line obviously. I lobe the stuff, it doesn't retain water at all and is easy to get untangled IF it does become tangled.
Steve

Pete directed me to Decoy Rigs in Indiana (219-659-8371). The line is stiff so it doesn't knot up easily. It also sinks. Not cheap, but I love it.

Last edited:
I'll give another vote for Decoy Rigs. Super nice guy. I usually get my stuff from him at the Strongsville decoy show or at Tuckerton.

Back