Skiff building series on the Youtube

Very cool series. I've been enjoying watching and episode now and then. Eric, different Mike Braun, but darn if they don't resemble each other!

The next episode is available. Not sure where he is heading with this bow hook since I'm not sure what purpose it serves but it will be fun to watch and see.

Good morning, Rich~

I am just about to view this episode. A breasthook is a very important structural member in any open (un-decked) boat. It ties the 2 sides together with the stem.

All the best,

SJS

Good morning Steve and thanks for the explanation. With your explanation and a google search I think I understand. I have enjoyed this series a lot and Lou explains some things very well but sometimes I struggle with some of the terminology but I can't blame him for my ignorance.

I went out to find Lou's shop this weekend , come to find out he is about 10 min from my house . I stopped in to introduce myself however they were filming another you tube episode so i left . If i am in the area this week i am going to stop back in to see some of his work .

That's pretty cool Dave. I think if I was that close I'd try to be a permanent unpaid helper. Imagine how much you could learn on a daily basis? I've spent a bit of time in a couple of boat builders shops over the years and would've liked to just sit on a stool in a corner and observe.

On a trip through Maine back in 2013 I stopped at the boat yard/Museum in Bath, ME. They have a boat building school there the likes of which I hadn't seen before. Kids from the local school apply to take a class in boat building for at least a semester and could be a year, I don't remember. There must have been 12-15 kids in the shop the day I stopped in.

Back