Sneakbox Comfort Tips?

Steve O

I hope in the future to hunt out of my boat sneakbox style (with a dodger).

I imagine the more comfortably this can be done the better. Thanks in advance to any of you folks willing to share some tips for ways you've found to do this style hunting comfortably?

In the literature I've read so far I've noticed a few techniques that are probably no longer used (like lining the floor with a layer of hay, and covering oneself with a rubber blanket). By the way, what in the world is a rubber blanket anyway?

Closed cell foam sleeping mats work pretty good for the underlayer. Then just roll it up and store under the deck.

I used to have one of those ratchet seats to sit on which was really comfortable but a pain in the A$$ to fold and stow every time I wanted to move the boat or reach up into the bow area. Lately I bring a small plywood backboard for sitting up but rarely use that as my boat is pretty comfy as is.
Like was posted above a closed cell mat is great if its very cold out. An army blanket too, but again pain in the A$$ if you wanna move to pick up birds, or getting in and out of the boat. Its best to be a minimalist in a sneakbox. I think the rubber blanket was probably an army poncho

Those camping/sleeping mats are nice. On top of that I've been using a layout blind pad that gets warm. I've used canoe recliner back rests too. Experiment.
I got rid of my hay and rubber blankets.....
-

The closed cell mat is a great tip. If you have a dog, you may want to try a large piece of neoprene and wrap it around you and the dog. The heat from each other will help keep you warm (esp dawg).

Best,
Steve

Momarsh Invisalounge. I love that thing, 3 years in the salt and the ratchet still works. I just took it apart and sprayed the mechanism with oil for the first time. It is very well made, warm, and comfortable. . I think it was about 50-60 bucks shipped to my house.

I put a couple of thoes rubber mats in mine. The kind that are put in front of a work bench to stand on& they snap togather. They have round buttons on the bottom so water can drain to the back, I found them at mynards on sale for about $8/ea. I just sit on the bottom with a board for a backrest, but want to try one of thoes invisalounges this year.
Dennis

Thanks, folks. Many good ideas. Looks like William Stahl's suggestion makes sense here (that is, to experiment).

Back