Some working blocks working.

Brandon Yuchasz

Spending a week in ND with the kids and wife. This week is not really about the hunting as much as it is about spending down time with the family and hunting together.

This morning was great. We were up late last night popcorn, dvd, apple crisp and so on so I did not try and wake the kids up. I headed out like I do often just me and the dog. We setup on a small stone point with some driftwood to hide against. I got rid of all my plastic decoys earlier this year so nothing but hand carves on this trip. Twenty eight divers were on the long lines this morning. It did not take to long to shoot my limit.

I should have held out for a six bird bluebill day but I screwed up and shot a mallard early and My daughter wanted me to be sure and shoot a buffie over her blocks so I had to go and do that as well. She was thrilled when I got back.

Tomorrow if they are working anything like today I am going to be a lot more picky.

The bill decoys were carved last year, the buffies I have shown before carved for my daughter and now are decoys having been hunted over. The GE's were carved this year I think more of the pattern will find its way into my rig next season. Ill take the lesions of the soft lines from the hen and use it on the drake in the future along with a few other details.

2012-10-08-North-Dakota-023.jpg

2012-10-08-North-Dakota-028.jpg

2012-10-08-North-Dakota-030.jpg

2012-10-08-North-Dakota-033.jpg

2012-10-08-North-Dakota-034.jpg

2012-10-08-North-Dakota-036.jpg

Wonderful story surrounding beautiful photos...Love the basic hunting block painting style you use. Simple yet...Effective...Form follows function!

Regards,
Kristan

Great stuff loved it and i love your dekes man ,,,,,they sure sucked them birds in ,so do you use a boat or carry them blocks??

Brandon, Great hunt pictures. Nice to see some working blocks doing their magic. I haven't made the break from plastic quite yet but as soon as I get the time the Flamboos will get a new home. I guess you had to shoot one good duck for the table ;-). My wife still talks about a "family hunt" trip we took many years ago. I use quotes because the rest of the family in my case are the 4 legged kind. I will be headed out that way in a couple weeks so don't shoot them all. Thanks for sharing your trip and enjoy the rest of your time.

Brandon that is awesome. Great story and hunt congrats. Love your style on your decoy's as well. Good luck on the rest of the trip.

Good job Brandon! Its good to see working decoys doing what they were intended for. I especially love that pair of buffies.

Soft lines are fine on those birds as long as they are done with a brush. I like those hard lines...they are classics and they obviously still work great. It is great you got your kids involved.

Nice, very nice.
Is that a wingmaster you're shooting?
If didnt hunt saltwater, I'd be bugging my brother to give me Dad's 1979 Wingmaster for me to shoot. I love that gun.

Thanks all. I enjoy sharing the hunts with you guys.

The eyes I use are tacks I bought them online at a company named crazycrow. Geoff Vine was the one who turned me on to them. I hate setting glass eyes!

Carl, yes its a Wingmaster. You may have heard Remington is not making them like they used to. So I got one like they used to make. Took me a little over a year to hit the under 350 price delivered and transferred that I had imposed on myself but I finally found one. Left hand, 3" 28" barrel and as a bonus it has screw in chokes. I had assumed I would end up with a fixed mod. That gun is now my daily duck gun and I could not be happier. I have not checked the serial number but I would assume its around the same age as your dads old gun. I don't blame you for keeping it out of the salt.

Last edited:
Great stuff! Getting a Buffie is one of my goals this season. You can't go wrong with a classic wingmaster. Got to be a ducks worst nightmare.

Back