Spray Shield Support?

Jay K

This may be a "reinventing the wheel" question but...

I'm in the process of finishing up my Higbee box. I have a brand new teepee style spray shield. I'm looking to craft a center support that's a little better than just a stick with some threaded rods in each end and a wingnut. I'm looking to craft something that can be popped up and down easily for trailering. I looked at antenna mounts, flag pole mounts, and similar. They're all just a touch on the large side. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/things they have used?

Thank you!

If your set on tepee style have you thought about bimini top deck fittings. One mounted to top of deck would allow mast to pivot up or down. The corresponding male fitting will work on 3/4"EMT conduit or get fancy and cut a bimini conduit support pole to desired length. Might be able to pic it all up for nothing if you find a trashed Bimini top.

That was actually one of my ideas. Using one fitting for the mast itself then another for the support. Using a pull pin on the support so it can be folded down. Should work I would assume?

Jay~

I always look for the simplest ways - and try to minimize moving parts. On my Sneakbox, I fitted this strut (Cypress)....

View attachment sm D 22.jpg

so that it is held at the top in a pocket in the canvas....

View attachment sm D 23.jpg

....and is notched to sit on the toe rail that holds the bottom of the spray curtain/dodger.

View attachment sm D 24.jpg

The finger hole is bored on the generous side.

View attachment sm D 21.jpg

The fabric puts just enough tension on the strut so that it'll never pop out in use but that I can still lift easily with my 65-year-old worn out body when dropping the canvas.

View attachment sm D 25.jpg

The rest of the process is explained in my VERY long post:

http://www.duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=280953;do=post_view;search_string=Sneakbox%20Renovation#p280953

All the best,

SJS

Steve,

Your crafting with these boats is extremely impressive. That is definitely worth some thought there. I have a grommet hole on the top of the shield I could hook into. I am going to give that some thought. My woodworking skills are no where near yours but that doesn't look too advanced.

Jay~

To engage the grommet, you could use either a short length of hardwood dowel or a heavy screw with the head snipped/ground off in the top end of your strut.

All the best,

SJS

I kept mine simple too, an appropriate size broom handle sharpened to a dull point on both ends, top engages the spray shield grommet, and the bottom fits in a drilled hole in the top deck. tension keeps it in place until YOU want to lower it.

Eric Patterson said:
This is the system I used on my Black Brant II. The parts were machined from aluminum and the rod is 1 1/4" closet rod. The spray curtain has a grommet that slips over the nipple on the top of the pole. The pole drops into a socket that is recessed in the deck strongback. When the pole is removed there is no hardware to contend with.

I love it! Great work. I like to "play" on my lathe and mill, but not nearly enough.

Back