Spring time is a magical time of the year

Dani

Gold Sponsor
It's like the world is waking up from the dead of winter. Flowers begin blooming. Trees begin putting out new leaves. Baby critters are being born.

and

TURKEYS ARE GOBBLING

There are always signs that turkey season is coming. The wisteria begins blooming, the rain lilies are popping up on the sides of the roads, the air begins smelling sweeter as the jasmine blooms and the swallow-tailed kites begin making their appearance from their migration to South America.

i-2pzpzDC-XL.jpg

There isn't much prettier than watching the sun come up in the turkey woods either. Getting to listen as the world comes alive around you while you sit motionless. For me it's almost as if I'm not even there to the rest of the world and I am getting to glimpse the secrets of the world. There aren't many prettier places to sit and ponder life and try to solve problems with your best friend. There were no disagreements that couldn't be settled when we sat in such gorgeous places.

i-rQvzhZ7-XL.jpg

And life could go on around us as if we weren't even a part of it.

i-RdhVsx7-XL.jpg

i-RKnv87F-XL.jpg

But turkey hunting in Florida isn't easy. There are dangers all around you.

i-VcSM3dx-L.jpg

i-bcbLh2J-L.jpg

Even the trees will let you know they don't appreciate you leaning up against them.

i-md9tSdm-XL.jpg

Getting in and out of the woods can be a challenge.

i-fn3qTvp-XL.jpg

It will always bring a smile to my face that Steve's big, bad big boy truck had to be saved by what he always called my girl truck. Just goes to show that girls rule and boys drool.

Turkey camp can also bring its own set of dangers. For those of y'all that have Walmarts near by, they have bagged garlic knots in the bakery section that are roll in them delicious. Roll your eyes in the back of your head delicious. Hot, soft, buttery and garlicy knots of bread. The kind that there is no way to eat only one. But they do have a dark side.

MAJOR TIP!!!! Do not leave them in their bag if you put them on the grill! Better yet, DO NOT put them on the grill to warm them up! It IS NOT an aluminum bag! And especially don't do this when you tell your hunting partner to watch the grill while you go inside to get some more things for dinner and he isn't paying attention! The bags burn and become flaming, buttery bags of garlic knots quite quickly so the grill will have flames shooting out the top unnoticed while your hunting partner is busy on his phone!!!!!

i-rxDG4bk-XL.jpg

And I can also tell you those heavenly garlicy buttery knots of goodness become the pure devil when you try to burn them alive. They will attempt to get their revenge when they are flaming balls of butter and garlic. They won that round.

i-LkLPvxW-L.jpg

Despite the dangers that follow this addiction known as turkey hunting, there is so much out there that is neat and beautiful to get to see.

i-hfbXps9-XL.jpg

Our swamp can change incredibly from one weekend to the next depending on how much rain we get in a week. So your plans for next weekend can get shredded with just a couple inches of rain. Sometimes what you could once walk all the way through with barely a squish of mud requires zig zagging from one highish spot in the swamp to another to get to the other side of the swamp.

i-Bt6Lx4z-XL.jpg

If you are lucky. Other times the only high spots are the dikes left from the old logging tram roads that used to go through the woods and you just gotta pull another game plan out of your hat and do something else.

i-rzB4n6D-XL.jpg

It often ends up with us sitting in less than ideal and even more challenging woods to hunt than the swamp.

i-s2cRpC7-L.jpg

[strike][/strike]
The turkeys are disgustingly tight lipped in my neck of the woods. We know they are around but they just don't talk to us much.

i-WXrDW95-XL.jpg

Sometimes we have to remind ourselves what a turkey actually looks like and usually that means just taking a ride into town and watching the sides of the roads.

i-XT6jFBv-XL.jpg

The evenings would often find us heading out to see if we could find roosting turkeys. We were rarely successful but we always had a good time out there. It is a lot of fun when the mayflies hatch because I took great pleasure in feeding the redbellies in the river. We kept telling each other we would take a fishing rod with us, but we never did. A shame since there were lots of fishy places.

i-9khn655-XL.jpg

And there was often something worth stopping to take a look at.

i-qD4W9LB-L.jpg

As aggravating as turkeys can be, if we don't see the baby lubbers coming out we won't expect to get the turkeys to talk to us. If we aren't seeing babies everywhere then we know it's not quite the right time yet for the turkeys to be talking back to us.

i-GMW98tQ-L.jpg

Once we begin seeing them we know that things are going to heat up for us and I will shift more to loving turkeys than hating them. They don't make it easy on us but it does become less aggravating.

i-mWS68gV-L.png

And being the turkey woods there is always something really cool to see when they aren't cooperating fully.

i-dKrxzRS-XL.jpg

i-vxPBDR8-L.jpg

Or something that makes you wonder hmmmmmmm

i-95vvfjt-L.jpg

In the end though, we were usually rewarded.

i-SRJjjsN-L.jpg

And I get to shout I LOVE TURKEYS all over again.

i-HWB4GqR-XL.jpg

So, all of this to say that tomorrow starts another turkey season here in Florida. With all of the fear mongering going on right now, it is nice to be reminded that there is lots to be thankful for and lots to appreciate and lots of beauty still to be found. There is a lot to look forward to.

Hopefully tomorrow will dawn with gobbling ringing through the trees and a strutting beauty coming to say hello to me.

Dani

Dani,

Thanks for the photos, enjoyed them all.

Yer Mayfly photo drew may attention like a bullet to a bullseye. BANG!

Alright ALL you fly fishermen/fisherwomen, and fly tiers.

Looks like two tails. No.

Cream Cahill.... Yellow Cahill family?

Chime in.

I have only been to FLA once in my life, and no squat about Mayfly hatches down there.

But, when I SEE Mayflies like that.

I will set aside the "Shootgun" pronto, and grab the fly rod.

Run like a old bunny, and have a helluva lot of Fun, fish slim hands, and get plenty of Food Fish.

Turkey season is long.

Most Mayfly hatches are not, and before ya know it, over.

GAWD I love Spring.

Ya did good Dani.

Ya got all us "Shut In's" wound up, and ready to roll.

Best regards
Vince

Thanks guys.

Vince, regarding the mayfly.....I believe that there are at least 71 species of mayflies in FL (based on a book that is available on amazon that deals specifically with mayfly species in FL). I am good with knowing that it is a mayfly and that the fish LOVE EM. But yes. They have two tails.

Dani

All of that just looks wonderful!!!! EXCEPT THE SNAKES!!!!! That is my fear mongering!!! oh.. and the biting and stinging bugs...

Thanks for (almost) all the pics!

Dani said:
Thanks guys.

Vince, regarding the mayfly.....I believe that there are at least 71 species of mayflies in FL (based on a book that is available on amazon that deals specifically with mayfly species in FL). I am good with knowing that it is a mayfly and that the fish LOVE EM. But yes. They have two tails.

Dani

Dani,

71 different Mayflies!

No wonder the Bream are so big in FLA.

I would slather myself in bug dope to get to those fish with a fly rod.

Big Bull Bream are a very sporting fish, and put up a helluva fight on a fly rod.

Bream & Crappie Bass are my favorite fresh water fish to EAT.

One way I like em is to poach/steam em, with Spring water & Old Bay.

Get em cold, in the frige, or cooler.

Dip em in some spicy cocktail sauce, and open a Barely Pop.

Now that is Livin' da Good life.

VP

A great way to start my morning, thanks Dani. I think I'll take our Wisconsin ticks and mosquitoes over the snakes and crawly things in your world. Good luck with the turkeys.

Good morning, Dani~

What a wonderful tale - brilliantly told and illustrated!

Such a rich place - I'm very happy for you.

Wood Frogs and Peepers have been singing hereabouts. The mercury is at 21 right now - but there are more things singing and buds swelling every day. I've got my eye on a nice Longbeard - but my focus is on firewood for next Winter right now.

All the best,

SJS

Dani/Vince:

How big is that mayfly? That light body with yellowish mottled wings sure looks like a Hexagenia that hatches on northern lakes in late June-early July.

I think there are several species. There are definitely a variety of sizes and variations in shade. They are all large--like length of your thumb large.

Great photos. Those snakes scare the crap out of me. Very glad to live in place with none that are poisonous.

Thanks again y'all!

Vince, I would be very happy to direct you to multiple spots where I THINK that you might be able to fly fish for bream down here in my turkey woods. I haven't had a good platter of redbellies or bluegills in a long time. Maybe I should dust off the ultra light and toss it in the truck with my turkey gear.....hmmmmmmmm?..

Jeff, the mayfly body as I recall was a little over an inch long. They were pretty big. Add in the tail and you might be close to thumb length.

The snakes aren't so bad. Most of them just wanna be left alone to do what they do. The mosquitoes and ticks are far worse. I'm more concerned about diseases from them than I am snake bites. In the end, I'll more likely die of liver poisoning by Deet absorption than I will of snake bites, ticke bourne diseases or mosquito bourne diseases.

Dani

Dani,

Thank you for the offer, it is much appreciated. Someday I may indeed ask. Been a long time since I've been to FLA.

The snakes do not bother me, all the none Mayfly, nasty bugs do.

Good idea to take along yer spinning rod, and get a good mess of Food Fish. Yer already there, and slathered with DEET, so make the best of it.

Of course after the early wake up for Gobblers, ya might need a good nap before grabbing the fishing gear.

The turkey huntin' & fishin' combo does take a toll on a body, but Spring only lasts so long, and ya have plenty of time for R&R later.

You are a inspiration for many of us.

Have FUN and Enjoy Life.

Best regards
Vince

Jeff,

Thank you.

I agree, it does indeed look like the Giant Mayfly, Hexagenia limbata. Two tails, 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" long.

When I looked at Dani's photo, I could not tell how large the fly was. The two tails narrows it down.

Bass & Bream do love em, as do Trout.

"Night fishing during this hatch is a major experience in angling." - Dick Pobst

June is The Magic Month here...

VP

Back