St.Charles Paint Demo - Pat Gregory

Geoff Vine

Tim Speight and Pat Gregory ran the "Carvers Corner" at the St. Charles, IL show again this year at the Pheasant Run Resort. A collective of carvers worked on a hen BW Teal starting Friday afternoon. We used one of my patterns. Reggie Birch carved the body with hand tools, I knife carved the head and fit it to the body, and Pat Gregory painted it on Saturday morning. The decoy was donated to the club for their auction.

IMG_2133_zps21d7e487.jpg
IMG_2136_zps1a512178.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_2141_zpsfc3d4243.jpg
IMG_2149_zps0b513df6.jpg
IMG_2151_zps9a048152.jpg
IMG_2155_zps6957380c.jpg

IMG_2159_zpse9d28c5c.jpg

IMG_2161_zps2e90109d.jpg

IMG_2169_zps2a392774.jpg

IMG_2167_zps922208d9.jpg

Left to right...Pat Gregory, Geoff Vine, Reggie Birch

Last edited:
Geoff, Pat, and Reg,

That was one of the coolest blends of different styles on one decoy that I'll ever see in one lifetime! You guys are true masters of style, which couldn't be more unique, and putting your craft to work for a good cause...awesome. That kind of brotherhood makes duck hunting the best! It was a great show, filled with great people. I learned a lot this year and I can't wait for next year. Thanks you for keep the tradition alive and well!

Geoff - I was flattered to be part of that collaboration. You and Reggie are truly outstanding carvers. And, to see Reggie carve that body with a hatchet, was truly amazing. And, it was great to see the different styles come together and yet, make a cohesive decoy. It's a good lesson to all of us that, style is style, like a good paint, they can be blended. I do agree with David, it's times like this that makes decoy carving and waterfowling the brotherhood it is. I thank God for that.

Anyway, thank you to you and Reggie for being so willing to share your talents. Good seeing you and Jack... Pat
View attachment PICT0167.JPG
View attachment PICT0168.JPG
View attachment PICT0172.JPG
View attachment PICT0173.JPG
Midwest Decoy Collectors President, Rick Sandstrom holding the decoy. It was decided this decoy will be auctioned at next years Show in the Guyette, Schmidt and Deeter Auction.
View attachment PICT0194.JPG

A very cool carving demonstration, one man with a knife, one man with a hatchet and another with a brush. As I watched the demo on Friday I looked around and watched the auidence as well. It was very apparent that I was not the only one in awe. Very cool, well done guys.

Back