TDB Classic remolding time

No Major changes to hull and deck will be made though other than the hull receiving reverse strakes to help with performance.
Can you explain why you are doing "reverse strakes", and how they will help with performance? And on a related note, with as much feedback as you are garnering and as much of Eric's bandwidth as you are burning up promoting your new company and boats, I surely hope a sponsorship check for $500.00 is in the mail to Eric Patterson for Duckboats.net!

Dewayne, the reverse strake will do 2 things. First it will allow the hull to bite the same as a regular strake would. Secondly it wont stick out and cause problems for those guys who hunt tidal conditions and have had to or will have to pull the light boat off a sand bar.

This is a duck boat site and the TDB is a very very popular duck boat, the first Duck Boat I might add, We bought the company and have many followers who want to be kept up to date. And that is what we are doing here and many other sites.

How will a reverse, (hollow) strake bite the same as a regular strake? As a regular strake projects down into the water and catches in a turn, I don't see how a reverse strake will bite the same. I do understand it is a much easier and less expensive and less labor intensive way to modify a mold, but to claim it offers the same performance seems like a stretch to me.

And as to your last statement, I take it you will continue to take advantage of this site to promote your new business without ponying up the money to become a sponsor?

No Major changes to hull and deck will be made though other than the hull receiving reverse strakes to help with performance.
Can you explain why you are doing "reverse strakes", and how they will help with performance? And on a related note, with as much feedback as you are garnering and as much of Eric's bandwidth as you are burning up promoting your new company and boats, I surely hope a sponsorship check for $500.00 is in the mail to Eric Patterson for Duckboats.net!

Dewayne, the reverse strake will do 2 things. First it will allow the hull to bite the same as a regular strake would. Secondly it wont stick out and cause problems for those guys who hunt tidal conditions and have had to or will have to pull the light boat off a sand bar.

This is a duck boat site and the TDB is a very very popular duck boat, the first Duck Boat I might add, We bought the company and have many followers who want to be kept up to date. And that is what we are doing here and many other sites.

How will a reverse, (hollow) strake bite the same as a regular strake? As a regular strake projects down into the water and catches in a turn, I don't see how a reverse strake will bite the same. I do understand it is a much easier and less expensive and less labor intensive way to modify a mold, but to claim it offers the same performance seems like a stretch to me.

And as to your last statement, I take it you will continue to take advantage of this site to promote your new business without ponying up the money to become a sponsor?

DeWayne, how about you get sponsor or supportor added to your profile? 'bout time.

Dewayne the design modification has nothing to do with costs. The point of doing them this way is 2 things. One creates bite to prevent the slide problem of the original 14 classic hull. and secondly it allows the hull to lift more in the bow with the reverse strakes, which ultimately will help with planning the boat, another major issue we are all familiar with on the 14ft Classic.

Tony,
I believe the 14 Classic should remain the same as it was originally built. I had a 14 classic, and then moved up to the 17 Sea Class.
Many days I wish I still had the classic. Since it was the first and is considered the "classic" shouldn't it remain that way. Some guys are
purest. Make the changes to the 14 sea class and leave the classic alone. Just my opinion.

I personally loved the slide effect of the classic. It was a blast to run on flat water in the middle of July. When it needed to bite
you just had to slow down.

Last edited by a moderator:
DeWayne, how about you get sponsor or supportor added to your profile? 'bout time.

OK Tod, I'll bite; why do you think I need to become a sponsor here? I honestly can't recall promoting any business I am involved with on this site.

Here is a definition of reverse chines taken from the Skeeter boat website. Reverse Chines - deflect water down and below, lifts hull, acting as two points on which it lifts and balances providing a smoother drier ride with greater speed capabilities.

Primary Reverse Chines: These concave sections are built to exacting specifications to deliver control and comfort, even in the roughest conditions.
Strakes: Angled cuts along the chines provide lift and act as a rail, deflecting water as it smoothes the ride.
I think the improvements Tony is making to the boat are taking care the things people have been complaining about the boats for years..performance while under power being number 1. People have always complained it takes more motor to get it on plane and that it slides in turns. This change will help with both. Why not make the improvements now if you have the chance, especially if you are starting a new company? It will open the boat up as an option to more people now that it will be improved.

Even cars they update evey few years...corvette design was released yesterday. Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony,
I believe the 14 Classic should remain the same as it was originally built. I had a 14 classic, and then moved up to the 17 Sea Class.
Many days I wish I still had the classic. Since it was the first and is considered the "classic" shouldn't it remain that way. Some guys are
purest. Make the changes to the 14 sea class and leave the classic alone. Just my opinion.

I personally loved the slide effect of the classic. It was a blast to run on flat water in the middle of July. When it needed to bite
you just had to slow down.

Mr. Hanson while I totally agree with your thoughts. The Original 14ft classic was lost in the fire in 1998. And the molds were rebuilt and already slightly modified with some needed adjustments prior to us purchasing the company. While I would love nothing more than to have an original Classic and may buy one just to have some day the reality from a business standpoint is SAFETY. The slide effect and fact that guys WILL over power the original design means it must be corrected. The 14ft Classic was a toad with a 15hp motor, getting on plane was very very hard and the slide issue( while fun during the warm summer months to play around with could be very dangerous during the frigid cold months.

The deck and hull will be the same design as originally with some slight changes for the better we believe and will make it a better boat because of them. These 2 concerns seem to be the biggest concerns we are hearing on the forums and via the telephone from customers who either have or had a TDB and those in the market from one who have ridden in them as well. And that is exactly what we want to hear. Input is the only reason for these threads. While it comes across as promotions of the product at this time promotion is not the intended purpose. Knowledge from those who have them or had them and input is what we are after. In the process were asked for info and updates and we are doing our best to provide them as we push forward.

I must get back to the shop as we are spraying up the 14ft classic today and will build the prototype inwhich new molds will be built from tomorrow. Stay tuned and keep the input coming its all Good and we welcome it all.

OK Tod, I'll bite; why do you think I need to become a sponsor here? I honestly can't recall promoting any business I am involved with on this site.

Dewayne if you would please take your other matters to private messages so we can keep the thread on topic.
Thank You Sir.

DHughes, I can appreciate your comments, but Tony isn't starting a new company; he bought some molds and a name that had basically been un-used for years. He did something similar when he bought the Busick plans and layout molds from Paul that had been sitting around for years un-used. The reason I asked Tony about "reverse strake" is because it is a term I've never heard before. An Internet search of the term was fruitless. Therefore I asked for clarification, because I wondered if he actually meant "chine", or "reverse chine".

Clear enough for me:

From Support duckboats.net (http://duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=payment_donation;)"

"duckboats.net is FREE and lives only through the VOLUNTARY SUPPORT of those that enjoy it and contribute. Show your support by purchasing items offered or by direct donation. Donations help keep this great resource available to everyone and are always welcome."

Clear enough for me:

From Support duckboats.net (http://duckboats.net/...?do=payment_donation;)"

"duckboats.net is FREE and lives only through the VOLUNTARY SUPPORT of those that enjoy it and contribute. Show your support by purchasing items offered or by direct donation. Donations help keep this great resource available to everyone and are always welcome."

Tod, thanks for clarifying. I just wanted to know if you felt I had blatantly spammed one of my businesses here or abused the classifieds selling off company assets.

Tony, on your website the grassing rails are referred to as rods, are there two different
rails here, I got some rods from Armstrong 4 years back and they are still in the box.
Are you selling rails or round rod sections? I have ordered some replacement rails from another source, but dont
want others to make the same mistake when ordering rails. the original rails on the 14 classic were more like the
rails you have on your website just made of wood, they were not round rods.
Maybe you have not had a chance to change the site wording?
Thanks,
Dave

Tony, on your website the grassing rails are referred to as rods, are there two different
rails here, I got some rods from Armstrong 4 years back and they are still in the box.
Are you selling rails or round rod sections? I have ordered some replacement rails from another source, but dont
want others to make the same mistake when ordering rails. the original rails on the 14 classic were more like the
rails you have on your website just made of wood, they were not round rods.
Maybe you have not had a chance to change the site wording?
Thanks,
Dave

Dave, What we sell is a 3 piece system. a 1" acetate(plastic rod) and end caps and standoffs. Each piece is designed to work with each other to create the finished railing. When put together(which is easily replaced) it looks just like the photos on the website.

My question is: are the rods that you are selling as replacement grassing rails, round, or closer to rectangle
shape as the original classic rails?
Thanks again,
Dave

My question is: are the rods that you are selling as replacement grassing rails, round, or closer to rectangle
shape as the original classic rails?
Thanks again,
Dave

Round.

As promised another update.

We are putting all this into a special file for a complete explanation of the process later. As things will move slowly soon enough.
But for your viewing pleasure.

What you are seeing is the Classic molds after the Camo (black and Tan) gel coat is applied to the molds and then the Base color applied. When the boat is removed from the mold all 3 colors will be on the exterior. Tomorrow we will put the first layer of glass on both the hull and deck. and more photos will follow.
tdbclassicgel1.jpg

tdbclassicgel2.jpg

tdbclassicgel3.jpg

tdbclassicgel4.jpg

Very cool thanks for sharing the process. Look forward to seeing it progress. Will you be using a chopper gun for the glass?

Clear enough for me:

From Support duckboats.net (http://duckboats.net/...?do=payment_donation;)"

Tod, thanks for clarifying. I just wanted to know if you felt I had blatantly spammed one of my businesses here or abused the classifieds selling off company assets.

I pulled this to the top, I think it sums up Eric and my opinion on the subject well.:

http://www.duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=169698#169698

Tony, on a personal note, nice work on reviving the molds. TDB has always been a very popular design, good to see you bringing new life to it. If you have any questions on the links, feel free to PM me for clarification.

Best
Chuck

Back