Ten days left for ducks, & F5 buried in snows

LI-Jack

It's been a little slow around my area so I purchased the F5 DVD from Habitat Flats (Thanks Ira) It was what I needed to get motivated. Watching that video made me feel like a lightweight. Inspired to hunt ducks again (no snow geese where I live) I recommend this video for those who think they are working hard for birds--- these guys really defined hard work!

I took the morning to hike in to a spot that I like to hunt-- not too many left on Long Island. So since the ice melted I figured I'd give that hole a try.

Sunrise was nice, no wind, cool and very comfortable-- since I hadn't hunted ducks for 9 days straight I figured I'd better take some time to enjoy the rest of the season. These pictures were from my phone, I would have given you reports like Carl did the other day--- live streaming duck hunts gotta love technology!
View attachment IMAG0084.jpg

As I hiked in to the spot I wasn't planning to see much, since I watch every day and there seems to be an absence of birds this year. I was surprised to see a pair circle 3 times before landing out of range. I could have shot but I was looking for toe draggers, however it seems that during late season hunts you can't be picky. I was shooting 2 3/4 inch steel #7 and #6's so I like the birds close. As I watched the pair (Chance had them eyed up and never looked up) I see a nice drake commit into my decoys. Missed with the 7, killed him with the 6.
View attachment IMAG0085.jpg

Chance, ran after the pair that lifted up-- he never saw the bird I shot crumble. As he's standing in the water-- he's looking at me "You missed??". I signaled left and it was like "ah ha!!" there it is. Probably the best day with "Hunting by Chance", he's got character. Sorry Sutton- I had to post a picture of the Chessie. BTW he stopped biting me, no more tazmanian episodes :0)

View attachment IMAG0087.jpg

I think I'll try agian tomorrow, saw a total of 12 birds flying in 3 hours-- but that was all I needed. I went to work to finish up my day, and the boss knew I was hunting by the contented look on my face.

View attachment IMAG0089.jpg

Still thinking about the sunrise, and that dog who I took a chance on last season-- I felt like I was coming back from church while I headed to work, peaceful.

-Jack

My question is if there is all these snows eating themselves out of house and home with a federal order to kill em all why do guys go through all that work and never ground swat em. There asking anyone hunting them to shoot as many as possible, then you hear the guns roaring and not many are dropping what's up with dhat. I am not a ground swatter but with snows do it up like a market hunter. Let's be real here, sleep deprived, moving decoys spreads, dead tired......... honestly how many guys would give there left cashew to do that just once in there life and get paid for it.

Don't know the whole story of "Chance " but have a hunch the name came much the same as my wifes' last dog who we named "Bailey" not after Irish Creme but as a form of the word "Baliff" meaning "a keeper". He was.

My question is if there is all these snows eating themselves out of house and home with a federal order to kill em all why do guys go through all that work and never ground swat em. There asking anyone hunting them to shoot as many as possible, then you hear the guns roaring and not many are dropping what's up with dhat. I am not a ground swatter but with snows do it up like a market hunter. Let's be real here, sleep deprived, moving decoys spreads, dead tired......... honestly how many guys would give there left cashew to do that just once in there life and get paid for it.

You'd take out too many decoys that way... I waited too long on a canada goose hunt with a flight that was just over the spread (5 yards away less than a foot off the ground) and rocked my friends brand new rig that I borrowed, it became an expensive hunt. Remember you're not jumping up, you are laying down surounded by decoys.

Todd-- Thanks for the kind words---your photos are spectacular.

Pete-- It was a good hunt--- wish I had more this season but still blessed and happy.

Phil-- Thanks, I had this lady tell me she'd take him home any day. I told her it's a package deal ;0)

Tom-- I just took a Chance with him, brought him home without the wifes permission. He's been labled "challange" by my friends, but none of them had to get out and retrieve their birds this year. They also knew not to reach for their birds too-- but that's another story.

Thanks guys,

-Jack

Back