Thanks for the new birds

Dave Church

The second youth day for Maryland waterfowling is this Saturday and I am optimistic about our upcoming hunt. While scouting today I saw large rafts of Bluebills, Goldeneyes, and Buffies. This has been pretty normal, but I also saw a few flocks of Canavasbacks, Gadwalls, Widgeon, and Redheads. All of these birds must be the result of all the storms that keep skirting to the North of me. I know you guys up North are sick of the snow, but if it is any consolation, those storms are going to give my 13 year old a chance on some birds he has never harvested before. Thanks again and good luck shoveling.

dc

Having a late youth day is awesome I would like to see that come to NJ I would be happy to do a free guided hunt for some well deserving youth!!

Last edited:
The late youth day is one of the best things MD DNR has done in years. It's a great way to get the yute's out when bird numbers should be PEAK!

Good luck Dave.

-D

The late youth day is one of the best things MD DNR has done in years. It's a great way to get the yute's out when bird numbers should be PEAK!

Good luck Dave.

-D

Dave keep me in mind in years to come I would be happy to donate my equipment (Goliath and revolution) and my time to help out a worthy cause for the youths I know you guys have screwy laws down there ie. blind sites and NRs but I would be happy to help some kids get on some great duck hunting

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Weather looks like we have another winter blast coming this weekend but appears to be skirting to the North of us again. This will give us a rain/snow mix with mild winds. Sounds pretty perfect. Last season was pretty slow and we never got any good birds until after the regular season was over. On the February Youth Day last year, the boys had so many birds piling in on them that I had to leave them with my buddy so I could actually go buy a couple more boxes of shells! They had a blast and came close to getting their limits. I will be better prepared this time and bringing the camera.

Capt. Larry - thanks for the great offer of gear. We have about seven boats between myself and my buddies and have everything covered. Again, thanks for the awesome offer.

dc

Awesome! Congrats to you and the boys. I still get excited about taking birds and watching the dogs work, but nothing is even close to the feeling of watching your son and his friend enjoy a successful hunt.

Chad

Dave that is a great way to end the season!! Sometimes I think being just observer you can enjoy the moment so much more! What a great way for Maryland to end their season I think more states should do the same!

The wind was much more than expected which made us change our tactics and location. Had to bust ice for about two hundred yards from the ramp. Because of the different locarion, I left KC at hone and did the retrieves with the boat since the rocks and barnacles tear up the dog. Turns out, the dog could have made every retrieve since we changed to a sandy shoreline. Saw cans and redheads but nothing in range.

dc

Back