Thanks To Guys That Keep Us Going

Eric Patterson

Staff member
Over the past 12 months I was contacted by two different companies who wanted to purchase duckboats.net. What these guys do is purchase online communities and then put up ads that relate to the subject matter of the community to generate revenue. duckhuntingchat.com and arkansashunting.net sold to one of the companies that contacted me and I watched those sites over the last year become laden with ads. They paste ads all around the page margins and even on top of user's pictures. Many of the ads have to be closed to see the content underneath.

I am so thankful to the participants of this site who keep us online with their donations. We are a user supported community and the generosity you have displayed over the past 16 years is why we can stay online and free of ads and biases created by paid sponsorship and advertising. The list below are the fellas that contributed this past year (If I left anyone off please let me know!) and for many this wasn't their first time.

SJ Fairbank
Wesley Bouchelle
Brad Wainscott
Steve Ritchie
Dave Sikorski
CAnderson
Mike Repp
Kevin Harrington
Jim Granger
Brandon Yuchasz
Brad F
RichFiglia
bruce horning
Tom Russo

Jeffrey Nelson
tod osier
jode Hillman
John O
Paul Strombeck
Bill Abbate
Capt. Bill Smith
Rick Pierce
Rob Pennington
Steve Stecki
John Lane
EKavanagh
Andrew L.
Brad B
Scott Farris
Fran Scholl

Jeff Reardon
Huntindave McCann
Steve Sutton
Steve Sanford
Tom Modine
Tom Barb
wendell avery

I'd be remiss to not mention Chuck J as well. He tackles so many tasks behind the scenes you guys would be amazed by his energy and devotion. This site couldn't function without him. Thank you Chuck for all you do.

This truly is one of the coolest online communities and in the realm of waterfowling I believe the best. It is a pleasure to serve this group.

Eric Patterson

Last edited:
While I'm on the topic of waterfowling communities I'd like to get your thoughts on something. My observations are duckhunting forums are losing appeal and activity to social media such as Facebook, instagram, and snapchat. It seems to me the younger generation gravitates towards apps that allow a quick trophy pic to be posted and very little writing. Perhaps too people have grown leery of sharing their success to a widespread audience and prefer to now share only to their "followers."

Does anyone else see this happening or have additional thoughts on the dymanics of hunter online communications?

Perhaps too people have grown leery of sharing their success to a widespread audience and prefer to now share only to their "followers."

Does anyone else see this happening or have additional thoughts on the dymanics of hunter online communications?

Those of us with little success to share and few followers will stick it out here. I find Facebook strangely addicting--and like other addictions, I try to stay away. This probably makes me an old fart, but I find it a strange way to engage with the world. This place, on the other hand, is TOTALLY normal. I just wish I'd been here for the stump dancing.

Facebook and other forms of social media allow the person sharing the content (hunt report, pictures, video) the ability to craft exactly who can see what and delete any negative response. I know many of the fishing forums I was active on have been rapidly dying out due to many active members and charter boats starting their own facebook feeds where they can control the audience better. Also in that regard it's easier for many to quickly throw a picture up on their way home from the blind with their hero shot, etc. for 'likes' as opposed to writing a full report.

In regards to hunting, photos and video it's a hard line to walk without giving away your spots, etc. and still wanting to share. Cyber scouting is a real issue in many states and I think that's definitely a reason many local sites have all but dried up. There are pictures and video I might shoot that I would never post on an open site just because I don't want 10 trucks at the ramp the next day. It's a fine line.

I, for one, really enjoy the write ups and photo journals from guys on here like Al Hansen and Steve Sanford to name a few. You don't find that anywhere else really.

Craig

I always felt state forums did more harm than good, particularly in a state like Alabama where our GA neighbors could peer in and get educated to the ducks we have while they sit in a large metropolitan duckless areas just hours away. Maybe the newer vehicles for communication make it harder for folks not in the area to learn about the area. I don't really use these apps so I'm just guessing. This site on the other hand is comprised of a geographically diverse group and I never felt it was a good source for internet scouting, unless you happen to like to travel from say, NJ to WA state to shoot ducks. Not much risk there.

Eric

It's you Eric that deserves the biggest Thanks....

Looking at your avatar photo I'm struck by the fact that all of this started in 1998 when that little boy was even a smaller little boy...and when neither Andrew or
Caroline had been born....when we were all 18 years younger than we are today....and to the sites credit there are MANY that have been here from the start....friendships have been forged as a result of this sites "demeanor" that have withstood the test of time and that will continue to grow even stronger in the future..

All of this because you wanted to share a boat build and created a website to do that.....you could have never dreamed that you were creating a Community when you did that...but you did....and by not selling out you have preserved that community....for that we all thank you....

So THANK YOU for not selling out....during the couple of years I didn't post I can't recall ever not checking the site on a regular basis because I knew that when I opened the site I wasn't going to see ads and commercial content.......during that same time I quit visiting a couple of fishing sites, a handful of photography sites, and an Upland Hunting site for the reasons that you posted.....friends made, but never met, were lost as a result of that and I find that as I age that its the "friends" that I cherish the most......and the ones I've made here, over these many years, are the ones I cherish the most, miss the most, and look forward to visiting with the most...

Here's to another 18 years....

Steve

Last edited:
What Steve said, and much much more. I consider myself one of the old guys here and feel that this site is kinda extended family. I don't always get along with family and there have been some rough spots along the way but they seem to work out and if someone really wants to quite then he can just "go take a poop". I have made so many friends here and some I never have met. Traveling decoys, Lacrosse liars fest, Argentina and as recent as Pete McMiller joining me in ND are all experiences that never would have happened if not for this site. From the bottom of my heart, Thank you for doing this and keeping it civil. Don't change a thing. The check is in the mail.

Last edited:
Facebook is nice, but it lacks the depth you will find here. This ismoneof the few site I visit regularly and have made some great friends and learned a lot along the way. Thanks to all who make it happen!

Eric,

Steve really said what many of us already know, this site has been a part of our lives for many years now. My non-waterfowling friends don't really understand when I tell them I have met AND hunted with well over 100 people from this site. They shake their heads in wonder but I know they don't really understand the community we have formed here. We've been around for births, and unfortunately deaths, trials and tribulations and many of the significant events in each other's lives. Though we don't get together as often as we would like - we are still family.

Thanks,

Pete

Eric-

I echo what Steve and Pete and Jode and Tom have said. Some outstanding friendships have been formed from this site. Some great adventures had with members of this site. I know I've hung with this site longer than any other forum on the web. And it's a site that I frequent several times during the day, just to see what's happening.

I'm not a facebook kind of person. In fact, I don't even have facebook which drives many people in my family crazy. I love the simplicity of your site. and most definitely the Ad Free-ness of your site. I'm so very very happy that you haven't "sold out" because the more ads a site has, the less and less I will use it or participate in it.

I too thank you very much. I very much enjoy hanging out at this place. I never figgered that when I first found this place in my search for homemade duck boats back in 2002 or so that I would still be with y'all. Now I can't imagine not being here.

Dani

Last edited:
I have to echo the thanks that everyone else has stated. While I will admit to not being a regular contributor, I come daily to take it all in. This site has shaped my life more than you would ever know. In the early days of the site, as a young veterinary student, I met some "old guys on the internet" from South Dakota who invited me out to hunt and see their boat build. I fell head over heels for the state and the first chance I had to move out here I did and have never looked back. So much has changed, with many of those friends, and all of our dogs at the time, having passed away, but the constant is duckboats.net.

Because of this site I get to live and work in one the greatest bird hunting states in the country. After I write all of that, thank you doesn't even begin to express my gratitude for you and this site.

I am not particularly good with expressing my gratitude over the internet.
I guess I agree wholeheartedly with everything previously written.
This has been my go-to site several times, every day for quite a few years now, and I don't see that changing.
I guess I will add something like- a enjoy the respect for our sport, and the love and admiration for it as shared by everyone here.
Thank you Eric and Chuck.

this is really the only site I go to any more, it is real not a bunch of yahoos thumping their chest look at me it is people helping and giving suggestions so thank you everyone

Thank You Eric, for putting your life out there for all to see before it became cool and hip to show it all on the net.

Thank You Steve, for keeping this place going. Many here don't realize the fact that this page would have been shut down long ago for good if it weren't for Steve's persistence and dedication to keep it going time and time again.

And Thank You to all the silent supporters whose words of encouragement help me to wade on when "it" gets deep...you know who you are, I won't ostracize you by naming names...

Best
Chuck

My only input is, Facebook is really easy to post pictures from my I phone. I can take a picture edit it and post it in a matter of seconds. being over thirty I still can't post pictures here, I have read to get a photo bucket account to post from but that adds a few more steps.
Is there anyway you can make posting pics easier?
Ken

Eric (and Chuck),
Thanks for all you do to keep this site up and running without the need for ads. The stories, information and expertise found here is unlike any other waterfowl site. The best part is this site has been able to capture and retain the TRUE culture of waterfowling without simply being a place to post kill pictures or internet scout.
I will admit when I started duck hunting that was all I did on Facebook and other forum sites. Then I found this site through a good friend. I have since learned from the wise and have much greater respect for the lifestyle and have come to enjoy so much more that goes into waterfowling.
To your comments about sharing to "your" followers. I think you are spot on that many people want to post kill pictures to people that follow them. Many outfitters and individuals feel they have to do this to attract new business. These apps allow them to be the center of attention rather than just one post out of 100 per day. If that's what they want let them have it.
I would add this. As a person who travels abundantly and thus does a ton of work right from my cell phone it could be advantageous to create an app for easier viewing and posting.
Thanks again to everyone that contributes here!

My only input is, Facebook is really easy to post pictures from my I phone. I can take a picture edit it and post it in a matter of seconds. being over thirty I still can't post pictures here, I have read to get a photo bucket account to post from but that adds a few more steps.
Is there anyway you can make posting pics easier?
Ken

I like that there is a threshold of effort required. It takes some time and allows you to collect your thoughts - the result is better and more appreciated. There wouldn't be near the community if the site was a collection of selfies.

Thank You Eric, for putting your life out there for all to see before it became cool and hip to show it all on the net.

Thank You Steve, for keeping this place going. Many here don't realize the fact that this page would have been shut down long ago for good if it weren't for Steve's persistence and dedication to keep it going time and time again.

And Thank You to all the silent supporters whose words of encouragement help me to wade on when "it" gets deep...you know who you are, I won't ostracize you by naming names...

Best
Chuck

As for you... Nice of you to visit :). Poinsettias have you busy?

Back