The Duck Boat Company is for sale

Kim Ross

I just saw this in my Facebook news feed for today. Hope that someone keeps them in production. I have a 1996 TDB-14 Classic and think it is a well-designed and versatile hunting platform.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1194289013953777&id=439338726115480

Great array of materials in the build list... A craftmanship oriented builder would be an excellent fit for this badge!

Just read through the comments portion of the FB page post. It is being sold by tony. Asking price of $50,000 for the company

Yes, We have way to many irons in the fire and the choice to stay small family oriented business vs going full production and hiring employee's at our age isn't an option. So with that said we are sticking to small boats and decoys and have offered the TDB assets and all naming rights etc up for sale. A huge opportunity to take advantage of the greatest duck boat every built and take them back to the top. We have enjoyed learning everything we now know about the company and boats, Tracking down all the molds and getting them in working condition again and building a few dozen of them for customers. IT was a great challenge to do but we did it and the name lives on. Now its time for someone to take it back to the top with the 21 and maybe even a new model as well. We have 5 boats for them to start with. But the reality is the 21 needs to be put in production as well and we are no longer interested in the bigger boats as we are growing older and don't wish to hire employee's and wish to stay a small family operation until such time as we are ready to retire. Decoys and small duck boats are keeping us more than busy enough to satisfy our needs.

Chris they are in my shop. Only 5 boats have been built from them and many guys want one. We just don't want to build that monster. Lol

These mold would be very well fitted back on the NE coast where they came from honestly. We get tons of calls from up that way from customers past and present.

AWSOME rig!!! But the Sea Duck seasons/bag limits are being shortened and maybe abolished in 2019/2020 season due to DEPLETION(by way of lack of birds) In mass next year the limit will go from 5 to 4 and if no increase in population sea duck season will be incurred as part of the DAILY BAG LIMIT!!!
The end is near!! Check out MAINE , Mass(Wellfleet Harbor Virus- cape cod times) We are losing 50,000 birds a year in the last 3years due to this disease that is so called "UNIDENTIFIABLE" The Sea Ducks are OUR BAROMETER TO THE MARINE ECOLOGY IN THE NORTH EAST!!! WE ARE IN TROUBLE!!
WE SHOULD TAKE THIS UP IN ANOTHER POST!!!
SORRY TONY AND BEST OF LUCK WITH THE SALE!!

Last edited:
Yea that desease is the great lakes now. The numbers of sea ducks are exploding on the great lakes each year. The birds may have just shifted migration patterns.

My Apology to Tony about the Post but My initial response was that the Northeast is having problems and Boat sales might be tough up here right now! With that being said the Sea Ducks on the Atlantic Flyway are not changing their migratory habits THEY ARE DYING DUE TO THIS VIRUS!
I hope the Scaup and Coots pass through this on the Great Lakes /Michigan
Episode,if the Sea Ducks in the Central flyway (Old Squaw,Scoters) assuming they fill the void,they TOO WILL SUCUMB to the same virus as the SCAUP!!

Captain, there was an extensive discussion on this site about a year ago when the new season guidelines and limits were announced for 2016. In that discussion, Brad B stated that sea duck numbers on the Great Lakes were exhibiting a declines.

I need to win the lottery.
This is a great product line that I would love to bring back to Maine. I hunt out of a TDB Merrymeeting Bay Scull and would love to have one of each of the line.
While I do not have enough experience to buy and build this line of boats. I have reached out to a local company capable of building them and I would market them. Unfortunately, with the market for boats of this size is very tough and margins tight, so it does not appear that I could make the things work. If I retired from my full time job this would be a great diversification and would not interfere much with my other small business, but that is 9 to 10 years in the future.

If I do not win the lottery I will happily be a product tester for the new proprietor (or the existing one).

I need to win the lottery.
This is a great product line that I would love to bring back to Maine. I hunt out of a TDB Merrymeeting Bay Scull and would love to have one of each of the line.
While I do not have enough experience to buy and build this line of boats. I have reached out to a local company capable of building them and I would market them. Unfortunately, with the market for boats of this size is very tough and margins tight, so it does not appear that I could make the things work. If I retired from my full time job this would be a great diversification and would not interfere much with my other small business, but that is 9 to 10 years in the future.

If I do not win the lottery I will happily be a product tester for the new proprietor (or the existing one).

David, Great Boats indeed. We offered them up for sale because were not promoting them like they should be. If they sell great, if they dont no worries we will simply continue to build them here and there for those who want one. We have plenty of warehouse space to store them and as some think were not selling out and getting out of the boat business at all. Simply throwing it out there that we would sell the TDB Brand and Molds if someone wished to start their own boat building business with them and could have the name and all molds which is a great start for such a company. So with that said, IF anyone wants one. we will gladly still build them. No problem up until such time as they sell.

Back