The New Project After The Other Project... 1984 Aeromarine Sneakboat

Anthony Babich

Gold Sponsor
So, yet another project found it's way towards me this season. At a deal I just couldn't resist.. this old flower planter was begging for another chance at life. Last week I was contacted by a friend who advised me her husband was cleaning up the backyard and would be removing some items for the trash. One of these items scattered among many was a boat that "Maybe like a duck boat" was the description I got! I politely said no thanks as I already have too many projects! But curiosity got the best of me a few days later and I asked for some images the boat was dragged out of the weeds, cleaned up and emptied of the dirt. Now that the yard work had begun the boat was placed on clear lawn and sent. At first glance I immediately recognized the familiar outline of this vessel. An Aero-Marine, Aeromarine, Tom-Pryor Boat, Pryor Barnegat or in other terms a treasure find in the garden! She's a 1984 model and last hunted in 1991 by a gentleman who moved to VA.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4wKNG4qBmM&feature=youtu.be

From what I know and what was told, the Aero-Marine company was founded in 1977 by Tom Pryor a former WW2 pilot hence the name "Aero" he owned & operated Aero Marine in Harbor Island "Island Park" NY which is still in operation today by his son John who apparently has not continued the boat building tradition. From my research, Tom wanted a battleship barnegat style boat but in the 70's these were not available to his liking. He began the first build in 77' making only around 4-5 that year in the single man version and making them for his own enjoyment. These were infused displacement style hulls without a recessed transom. 12' in length & very stable.

As the years passed, the boats were all made to order, with one being kept as a show / display model for his marina customers. Those that wanted a boat would be added to a list, in the late summer a batch of boats would be made all together and the various customer options would be specific to each hull. One of these earlier versions was purchased by my father at that marina. It was used as a Layout boat only so no stern decoy racks or dodger was needed. The boat was a simple design of a bare hull with cockpit cover. As the popularity gained attention I found that Artist David Hagerbaumer published his own article in the 1979 Edition of the Outdoor Life Magazine. (Was lucky enough to find this on Ebay) awaiting the delivery!...But anyways, a few were made for him and his friends which propelled the design even further. In the early 80's the design was improved a bit to accommodate more room within the original cockpit, this resulted in a few tests with current models and the familiar cockpit design was formed. The second version marketed as a (2-Man) boat was born from what I'm told in 1981. During 1981 the production of these newer models was the largest it ever was as the popularity increased. The market price in those days was around $1200 for the single and $1400 for the new improved model. The newer models featured a recessed transom well, and increased filler techniques that made the boat capable of handling a larger motor. Larger (Stanley Garage Door) handles were also added both bow & stern.

I've tried to find a few marketing materials on these boats, and I know Steve Sanford also has in an attempt to include this in our 2017 Documentary "On The Falling Tide" but not much is out there, word of mouth among reputable duck hunters seemed to be the best marketing for Tom. Unfortunately in the late 80's 88-89 the marina was forced to shutdown production of these boats due to EPA regulations requiring expensive equipment to limit the emission of building pollution via chemicals used.

I decided to see what all the hype was about, as my father purchased an original early 70's model Tom Pryor Layout Version (1-man) at the time with that rounded cockpit and it was an incredibly solid well built boat I figured the 2-man would be even better. I picked up the boat shortly after that week in Mattituck, NY. Hauling it in the back of the 6"6" pickup bed caught the curious eyes of many on the roadway LOL but once home she was given a power washing deep scrub and was able to see the original paint which looked like a Forrest Green underbelly with Khaki Drab topside. The interior featured an optional self on both sides for gunning essentials and a spacious cockpit marketed as the (Two-Man) version modified years later after releasing the 1-man boat. The topside also features a metal marking tag plate I'm assuming a manufacturer plate just forward of the cockpit. There was obviously no accessory left out on this hull as the outline of the decoy rack system, the snaps for a dodger and cockpit latch are still in place on this hull, unfortunate they are no longer here but will be replaced one day!

After picking up a nice Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke at the SSWA Duck Boat show last weekend, I decided to splash the boat and see how it preformed with that power setup. Many of these boats from what I've seen were powered with a 9.9 / 15hp. On our layout boat we had no need for a motor so this would be the first time I'd truly see what these hulls were capable of. I've got to say the 15 was a perfect fit! The boat handled beautifully in light chop and on an early morning calm sea I was really able to see the performance raved about on these hulls! The WOT pushed the boat appx 19kts more then I needed but at 3/4 throttle she cruses just fine with the fuel tank & my weight up further at the bow. It's stable as well, rocking from side-side no fear of tipping even at sharp turns.

I was very impressed, and look forward to seeing this hull ready for many more season's in the marshes. My plans for the boat will be super simple (for me) LOL, to have it dropped off in 2024 at Pencil Brook Farm in South Cambridge, NY where the mastermind Steve Sanford will give her a complete overhaul of her finest potential. With the many other projects going on right now I will patiently wait for her progress once delivered!

Here's a few images of the boat when I received, the overall condition & first sea-trial back on the Great South Bay

IMG_7285.JPGScreen Shot 2023-11-04 at 10.13.20 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-04 at 10.13.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-04 at 10.13.35 AM.pngIslandOutdoorsMediaTM-4.jpgIslandOutdoorsMediaTM.jpgIslandOutdoorsMediaTM-17.jpgIslandOutdoorsMediaTM-20.jpgIslandOutdoorsMediaTM-30.jpgIslandOutdoorsMediaTM-33.jpg
Pryor Sneakbox - Bill Ferraro EDITED.jpg

Last edited:
Anthony~

Thanks so much for this history. Seems like my "recollection" of first seeing one at the U S National Decoy Show in 1965 must have been a different maker.

And, I especially appreciate you understanding that a bit of patience will be needed once I get to work on her next Spring. I especially look forward to you and me putting our heads together to develop a To Do list.

All the best,

SJS

I'm looking forward to the posts and pictures of the work done by Steve. I recognize the 1st picture from Facebook! I'm glad it was too far away for me to consider.

Steve Sanford said:
I especially appreciate you understanding that a bit of patience will be needed once I get to work on her next Spring.

If only I lived close to you, Steve. I would offer my assistance free of charge in helping work on all the boat projects you get. I love being able to work on small boats, especially duck boats. I myself just do not have all the proper tools or dedicated workshop to do such projects. Plus, the added fact that there are just not that many project duck/sneak boats like you work on sitting around here in Missouri. Mainly aluminum jon boats with blinds attached around here.

Anthony

I'm looking forward to this restoration. It's always more interesting when there is some background and history to go along with the project. Lucky for us the boat owner knows how to work a camera and video equipment so my expectations are high and so far you're killing it.

Eric

Update 11/8:

So, I've been doing quite a bit of research on these boats with the help of Bill Ferraro and the trail took me right to the source earlier today. Earlier this week the November 1979 Issue of Outdoor Life Magazine arrived at my door (Ebay purchase) after I found out there was a featured article with artist David Hagerbaumer using the boat on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay. It was a great article with one snapshot of the AeroMarine model as seen back in those days. I have attached a few images below from the magazine.

I was able to speak with John Pryor Jr this afternoon son of the late John Pryor of Aero Marine Boatworks still in business today and he offered an amazing insight into his fathers company and reassured much of what was posted earlier. He explained there were an estimated 130-140 boats built in total at the start & end of the company. He conveyed the earlier models were released in the late 60's and early 70's earlier than I had thought and explained his bother had a big part in the company as well. It was a great conversation to really see how production was back then and I was impressed how they were able to ship these boats across the country making crates for each one and selling some in large bulk quantities. John mentioned he may have some AD material & sales information along with vintage images of the shop, the production and boat builds he will hunt for that and of course I will share with the group when obtained!

Here's a glimpse of the November 79' Issue, much simpler times back then it seems!

-A

Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 5.28.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-08 at 5.29.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-08 at 5.29.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-08 at 5.30.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-08 at 5.30.28 PM.png

Last edited:
Anthony

Keep the info coming. You might be interested to know that longtime member here, Worth Mathewson, was a very close friend to David Hagerbaumer. He might be able to be of some help on that particular boat in the article.

Eric

Hey All,

So it's been a while since my last post but it's definitely been a productive few weeks! In this time I was able to track down John Pryor the owner of the current Aero Marine Marina based out of Island Park, NY and he informed me of some confirmation of the information I provided above. He mentioned back in the early 1950's his father Tom a WW2 P-51 Mustang Fighter Pilot came to LI, NY and settled down nearby the current marina. He transitioned his pilot skills to a Sea-Plane transportation business where he would keep the plane out back behind the marina. This was a transporter used for various goods up / down the northeast! Eventually with the creation of JFK airport and different flying regulations / routes he decided to transition the business to a full-service marina. During the Mid 1960's Tom an experienced Duck Hunter decided he wanted a more-stable Barnegat bay style design boat to build himself and using an old Barnegat style boat kept beside the shop decided to design the Aero-Marine 1-man boat. The first production model was presented at a local LI Decoy show in 1969-1970 at the time this was just a look for interest to judge if anyone would be interested in purchasing such boat for the sport of waterfowling.

The boat was a great hit and Tom instantly knew he was onto something, he decided to build a few for close friends and as mentioned above the rest was history! Truly an amazing story, John was able to explain to me a bit from what he remembers about the boat's producton. Unfortunately in 2012 Hurricane Sandy destroyed many valueable documents related to the Aero-Marine boats but John and his mom (92) were able to dig up some documentation and photos posted below that they have currently.

The photos depict the testing stages of the Model II (Two-Man) design early 80's testing. The boat pictured was the first design-mold that was used for testing and manipulating to make the hull the best it could be. The "test pool" was a simple swiming pool that the boat was weighed & lowered into. The pool having been located next to the shop allowed the perfect environment to analyize and change the design as needed. Once the boat was up to the specs, it was then replicated into what we see in today's Aero-Marine models.

A simple layout however these boats were tested with a variety of conditions, adding weight, various motor configurations and layouts. The advertising of the boat was simple as there was a brochure that has yet to be found and the main advertising AD posted below. (This one has the lower bottom listing Aero-Marine).

My plan is to check out the workshop of the Aero-Marine facility in January 2024. I hope to find more documentation and preserve some interviews for these boats as well, definitely an interesting story of a great family business local to me here on Long Island, NY and brings about even more interest in my own restoration of the 2-man model.

As always, will keep you all updated on my research as it continues!

-A
IMG_8431.jpeg

IMG_8432.jpeg

IMG_8433.jpeg

IMG_8434.jpeg

Last edited:
Anthony

Great job on exploring the history of your boats manufacturer. Keep it up and you'll end of being a duckboat historian.

Eric

Great find, Anthony! Anxious to see how you guys set it up. I'm already brainstorming offseason improvements.

Happy New Year Everyone! 2024 This past weekend fellow buddy & DuckBoats.Net member Dave Kampa and I went out to The Marshland's of The Great South Bay, NY with our Aero Marine Boats! Had the usual spring like winter weather but we managed to see a few birds and make the most of it, once again very impressed with how these boats handle with Dave's being a 1982 and mine a 1984 there were a few noticeable design differences but nothing major, both running 15 outboards the trips to the marsh were quick and both handled very well maneuvering in those thin creeks. It's been a difficult season to say the least hopefully our temperatures cool down and we get a nice push for the second split!

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.14.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.14.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.16.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.17.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.19.57 AM.png

Georgie and I had a great time linking up. Thank you again for all of the amazing photos. Looking forward to getting out again soon.

Hey All,

So it's been a while since my last post but it's definitely been a productive few weeks! In this time I was able to track down John Pryor the owner of the current Aero Marine Marina based out of Island Park, NY and he informed me of some confirmation of the information I provided above. He mentioned back in the early 1950's his father Tom a WW2 P-51 Mustang Fighter Pilot came to LI, NY and settled down nearby the current marina. He transitioned his pilot skills to a Sea-Plane transportation business where he would keep the plane out back behind the marina. This was a transporter used for various goods up / down the northeast! Eventually with the creation of JFK airport and different flying regulations / routes he decided to transition the business to a full-service marina. During the Mid 1960's Tom an experienced Duck Hunter decided he wanted a more-stable Barnegat bay style design boat to build himself and using an old Barnegat style boat kept beside the shop decided to design the Aero-Marine 1-man boat. The first production model was presented at a local LI Decoy show in 1969-1970 at the time this was just a look for interest to judge if anyone would be interested in purchasing such boat for the sport of waterfowling.

The boat was a great hit and Tom instantly knew he was onto something, he decided to build a few for close friends and as mentioned above the rest was history! Truly an amazing story, John was able to explain to me a bit from what he remembers about the boat's producton. Unfortunately in 2012 Hurricane Sandy destroyed many valueable documents related to the Aero-Marine boats but John and his mom (92) were able to dig up some documentation and photos posted below that they have currently.

The photos depict the testing stages of the Model II (Two-Man) design early 80's testing. The boat pictured was the first design-mold that was used for testing and manipulating to make the hull the best it could be. The "test pool" was a simple swiming pool that the boat was weighed & lowered into. The pool having been located next to the shop allowed the perfect environment to analyize and change the design as needed. Once the boat was up to the specs, it was then replicated into what we see in today's Aero-Marine models.

A simple layout however these boats were tested with a variety of conditions, adding weight, various motor configurations and layouts. The advertising of the boat was simple as there was a brochure that has yet to be found and the main advertising AD posted below. (This one has the lower bottom listing Aero-Marine).

My plan is to check out the workshop of the Aero-Marine facility in January 2024. I hope to find more documentation and preserve some interviews for these boats as well, definitely an interesting story of a great family business local to me here on Long Island, NY and brings about even more interest in my own restoration of the 2-man model.

As always, will keep you all updated on my research as it continues!

-A
View attachment 52279

View attachment 52280

View attachment 52281

View attachment 52282
Good Afternoon,

Tom Pryor is my grandfather. John Pryor is my dad. If you need assistance gathering information please reach out.

Good Afternoon,

Tom Pryor is my grandfather. John Pryor is my dad. If you need assistance gathering information please reach out.
Hey! Yes, I would like to schedule an interview at the shop with your dad I actually spoke to him last month, I will call him this week to try and set up a time / date!

Back