This summers prodject boat

Shermie

A fella near by put up this offer of a free boat and trailer ..........I was the first to respond.....the only condition was that it was to be repaired with your younging for to hunt out of and pass along the tradition....Yup!yes sir...
So we got her home and started on it...there was a hole right clean thru the bottom near the bow and there was holes around the flotation foam imbeded in the floor /bottom...one of the rear handles leaked around the bolts and needed some mending too...So Makayla helped me sand and sand and sand inbetween fiberglassing coats then again between 3 coats of paint..
this weekend past she got her chance to learn to captain her own boat ,after we installed the oar locks she was out in the lake at my ma`s and pa`s learning to row 101......and just as i go to take a pic no camera to be found home on the table.....eeerrrrrrr.
so we bring it home and she helps me hold the boards to build the boat blind which is changed from the clam shell style it had been before to a more traditional layout style for open water or cover it with grass ,or a white sheet for hunting the ice flows....
Its in the begining stages of design im not sure what or where it will take me in style as im bieng influenced by a boat i had seen at the local musem....which they used to sneak up on geese and ducks in open water a 100 years ago....during the market days....

it will be a pull pin design so it doesnt have to be on all the time ..im thinking it maybe able to leave on in winter to keep the snow and ice out....????not sure yet...
heres some pics...
first is what she looked like to start.
sorry guys comp crapped out on me when i was swapping the links
Mickiesduckboat001.jpg

Mickiesduckboat004.jpg

Mickiesduckboat005.jpg

here the bottom is done
Mickiesduckboat006.jpg

here we are sizing it for her to sit and still be able to see
Mickiesduckboat007.jpg

it sure was a great idea and we had fun and more to come in the years i figure ,,,now we have a his and hers....lol
shermie...

Last edited:
Greatl story Shermie! Look forward to the finished project and some hunting pictures this fall.
wis boz

Well it is easy to see that Makayla is ready to go hunting now that she has put in her fair share of the work on this boat. You guys sure cleaned it up. Looks great, Shermie. You know I will be looking forward to some hunting pics this fall.
Al

Thanks fellas , It means alot to me coming from seasoned duckers like yourselves .Ill show Mickey the comments when im home in the daylight hours....

I had a new experiance and learned how to de shine the paint on the topside quite by an act of mother nature...

Im using polyurathane alkalyd high gloss enamel paint in mist grey....

So on the day we finished the final sanding on the topside i decide im going to paint after supper...

I whip out a fine paint brush and comence painting ,well it had been close to 95F that day and i had put on a nice thick coat of paint and it truely looked very very shiney....like a new truck.... i thought well ill run the sander over it in a couple days after it fully drys....

woke up around 2 am for a leak and was worrying about the boat went out and a heavy dew came on and the temp dropped about 20 deg,, i looked at our boat and it was all wrinkled up like and an old ladys face.....it was not dry and since it got cold ,on the surface was dry and the paint shrank and wrinkled ....

well what an effect it has on the high gloss paint it sends light off in all directions due to the wrinkles and it dullls it like real water at least thats what i think anyway ,im going to leave it that way for now .its prety cool....

it reminds me of the way you guys put the wrinkles on your decoys ~~~~~~~~~~~~

I need to get a new card for my camera and i try to capture the effect....

Learn something everyday ....sometimes a mistake works out ok...
shermie...

Last edited:
Back