Thought on Opening Day.

David Stern

I have never hunted opening day on public marshes. To some degree, I am very excited about the prospect. The cynic is me knows that there might be a lot of company out there on the marsh and not all well behaved. I am talking about Long Island here. Do I skip the opening weekend and let the sky busting yahoos have it all to themselves or do I seek out a small corner of the marsh to try and claim for a peaceful hunt with my new pup, Jet.
I am curious to hear what the folks at Duck Boats do.

Stern

Hmmm..... I don't know much about Long Island at all; however, a new pup, sky busting, and a bunch of yahoos spells out a recipe for a disastrous day afield.

Can you not find a small pot hole, pond, or creek to set beside ?

It is a big enough marsh to find a decent spot to hunt. My fear is that there will be so much gunfire from every direction that the birds will just fly away to some safe location and stay.
Stern

Can you not find a small pot hole, pond, or creek to sit beside ?

X2 I think what is meant, is to seek out a location well away from the public marsh. Seek out some private land and ask permission to hunt. This may have to be done well in advance of opening day.

It is a big enough marsh to find a decent spot to hunt. My fear is that there will be so much gunfire from every direction that the birds will just fly away to some safe location and stay.
Stern

An "unsuccessful" hunt is one of the BEST teaching tools a hunter/trainer can have when forming a pup's blind manners, attention, etc...

Can you not find a small pot hole, pond, or creek to sit beside ?

X2 I think what is meant, is to seek out a location well away from the public marsh. Seek out some private land and ask permission to hunt. This may have to be done well in advance of opening day.

Yes, I should have been more clear in my original answer.

I would try to find private land to hunt or a creek running through private land to hunt.....

Thanks for clarifying what I meant to say Dave.

As a fellow avid hunter from the southshore I can say that opening day is not as crazy as you think, a lot of guys are deer hunting that weekend. Christmas week seems to always be the busiest in my area. There will be a rising tide all morning on the opener in my area so I will just to a pothole shoot in the morning, a limit of blacks and a chance at a teal or two is a successful opener for me and my brother.

sometimes its just about being out there and enjoying the outdoors and i know its hard on long island if you dont have your own fields to hunt all the sky busters will start to fade out once the cold and ice starts to set in so dont let anyone ruin your hunt

My biggest concern would be the reactions of Jet. You never know what might happen. Will he be right at your side and not break? If it was me, I would be out there when most our working, so I guess that would be on a Monday. It seems to me that for this opening weekend there are too many "What Ifs".
Al

Back