Tracker Grizz Quality?

Tom Roberts

I've got a 16ft Tracker Griz that I've had for almost 3yrs. Well recently I started to take on more water than normal and discovered I had 3 hairline cracks on the bottom towards the front 1/3 of the boat. I did encounter some rough water and figured that was the cause though not a good one. I had them welded and was off and running again. 3 hunts later, same thing began happening. My welder said he saw the same pattern before with a tracker griz only bigger. I took the floor out and discovered multiple weld failures that was causing hull flexing which in turn led to my hairline cracks. My welder said he saw the same thing on the other bigger tracker griz as well. Anyway, I'm in the process (and expense) of redoing the welds and putting in additional support to hopefully solve my problem(s). Has anyone else had similar experiences with this brand of boat? I'm still under warranty but was told it would have to be sent back to the factory and who knows how long that will take and if they will truly fix the problem. It's the beginning of duck season and I don't want to be without a boat and I want piece of mind that the job will be done right.

Contact the Manufacturer. Most times they will fix or replace at no cost to you and it also helps improve their processes to keep someone else from experiencing what you have.

A good friend of mine bought a Tracker Grizzly 2072. He used it sparingly. After a couple years of not having enough time to use it, he sold it to a nice kid who had the time to enjoy it. The new owner used that boat and within a year he had multiple weld failures. Tracker did NOTHING for him. Because he was not the original owner, there was no warranty. In the next year he had 75% of the welds redone at his expense. I am in no way trying to disparage your boat, but the Tracker 2072 I am talking about was junk. In addition to the welds, the flotation became so heavily waterlogged that it was impossible to lift the tongue. This was about 5 years ago. I am very sorry to hear that you are having similar problems. I hope they do right by you.

I've been scouting for a fishing boat for some time, and as I live in northwest Arkansas, I figured that a Tracker might be an easy buy. There are a lot of them for sale, and being so close to the factory, I figured I could pick one up and save shipping.

Then I started to do research on the hulls, and there is a wealth of consumer-type complaints against Tracker Marine both for the quality of construction and for customer service on warranty. Some people have had good luck with their boats, but many have had terrible luck, and the factory basically did little to honor its warranty obligations.

Poor welding is just one of the complaints, but it is common in the lists I've seen.

Needless to say, I am not going to buy a Tracker or one of the company's other brands.

That's not to say that it hasn't cleaned up its act and is now going to work with folks who have problems. I'd try sending it back to the factory or arranging to trailer it back. You might be one of the lucky ones.

I thought about sending it back but I figured I would get caught up in a long drawn out process that could take weeks or months. I don't want to potentially go a whole duck season without a boat. So I decided to bite the bullet and get it fixed myself. I'm also having additional supports put in to make it even stronger than new. Hope it works!

Tom, we have a local bass pro/tracker dealer here in town so there is quite a few grizzlys around. ive heard many stories similar to yours with structural issues in these boats so your not alone. good luck, mark

When I started looking I first checked Lowe but they don't offer what I was looking for. Then I was leaning toward a grizz but after reading the hate mail I ended up at Cabelas and bought an Alumacraft. So far so good.

we have a 14ft one at the fisheries. we were doing creel surveys with her and it almost sank it took on so much water. they finally scrapped it this fall after fixing the welds repeatedly

it did rip with a 25 yammie though

Where were you guys a month ago??? I just bought one. A 1754.

I searched around and didn't hear or read anything out of the norm for these boats. A good friend of mine has owned two and loved them both.

I will say though, I have a 2013 model. It has added structural support under the newly added floor, AND they dropped the motor capacity from 50 HP to 30 HP. that must be why.

As usual, a day late and a dollar short.

I'll keep ya posted...

Jon

Wow! First I've ever heard of all these weld issues. I have a 2006 Grizzly 1648. So far I'm not aware of these issues on mine. I run a 50HP pump so maybe less torque is the answer.
I'll have to keep an eye on it. It wouldn't take much shop welding to surpass the value of that boat.

I also have a 2006 ,16. Its been a real workhorse. Was not aware of these issues either. One thing I do have is a full floor in it riveted every 6". Witch may have tighten any flex. Good to know though. Something to keep a eye out on though.

I have a 2004 Grizzly 1860 and have yet to have any issues with the welded. I have it in the water from the spring thaw to the winter freeze every year and no issues.

Tim

I didn't have any issues either until recent. I traveled over some rough water where the hull was slamming against waves and I guess it was the straw that broke the camels back. Thinking back upon on the sequence of observed events, I first noticed some floor rivets had popped, and then the extra water in the bilge area. I'm guessing the welds starting breaking, then the hull started flexing, the rivets started popping, and then stress breaks. I've since got my boat back from my welder. He went through and redid all the factory welds plus added some in between. Also, added more support cross pieces. Should be better than new.

My family has owned 3 grizzly boats. First was a 17 early model had it for 3 years or so no issues at all. Next was a 20' bought out of bass pro had lots of issues with the rivets breaking and paint wear, contacted the manufacturer and was told they would be willing to fix the issues but due to the distance to a dealer it would cost more then it was worth. We currently have a 2012 2072 with the new "grizzly grip"armor coating. Boat is a beast in rough seas vey wide however after a few months again the rivets started to break on the floor this time due to flexing and we also noticed some hairline cracks we contacted bass pro and it sounds like this is a common problem. Seems like the structure is ok just these rivet issues. Boat is otherwise fine. I would highly recommend these boats overall like anything else it's going to have its small flaws..

Ive had Lowe and Tracker boats since I was 12 running around the bay and seaside marshes here on the shore. After a couple years all of them ended up just as much marine tex as they were metal. Nothing new when you take an aluminum boat, load it (if you add it all up probably over loaded) with blinds, men, and gear while plowing through chop. Salt water doesnt do them any favors either.

Back