Traditional Spray Dodger Plus or Minus

Steve O

I'm hoping to add a traditional spray dodger to my boat. Is anybody willing to share their experiences (plus and/or minus) with such things? If so, thanks for your kindness in doing so.

I tend to like the bimini type on a frame better then the traditional bbsb triangle style for a few reasons. I feel you can get better coverage and hide better when laying down. I also think the bimini type will protect you from snow,wind, and rain. Also you can have room for a dog to sit behind you under the dodger. The main reason for me is the coverage it will cover you head. I feel you get more out of this type then the traditional bbsb triangle style. It seems more and more people are moving to the bimini type my guess is for all the reasons above and more reasons that other people have. If you still want the traditional type check out bagsbydiane.com and wait and wait she has a good priced one good luck hope this helps

I am going to go with the bimini style. I stopped and got a quote on a custom job for it today as a matter of fact. I am thinking I want to try to replicate one like Dave Clark makes for my BBIII.

I went with a full dodger like David Clark has on his Estuary's. I did the project myself as they can be quite expensive to have done. Looking back I have been extremely pleased and would do it all again if had the choice. The dodger covers from the front of the cockpit to the motor, it zips up like a kayak. It is made out of codura 1000, 1/2' aluminum and Bimini ends. My dog and my daughter have hunted it it with me and it has kept us warm dry and kozy, even put a small mr buddy heater in there and it will sweat you out in the dead of winter. Good luck!

solancofair08033.jpg

View attachment GenesBoatPartoftheLandscape.jpg

Last edited:
I got my first sneak box last year and it came with a traditional style dodger. I like the lower bulk look of the traditional style but I think I may go to a bimini style because of the greater coverage and protection from wind and rain. Let me know if you want pics I can send you some. Luke

I would go with full dodger might as well enjoy it out there hunting and not have rain running down you face. And when it snows...........oh my does the full dodger hide. Here's mine its more Chuff huff style but bigger as to D.Clarks style. And I have pockets and stuff sewn in it inside to hold stuff to out of weather, yet accessible.
camo'd
018.jpg

not camo'd

spraydodger008.jpg

fitting for dog
spraydodger007.jpg

Other Gene, nice work on yours and boat!

Gene R.

Hey Gene & Gene -- Did you guys have any experience with canvas before building your dodgers. I have thought about doing one myself but am a little intimidated by it. I guess if a fella can figure out how to build a boat he could probably work that part out as well. How did you go about making your dodger and what if any specialized tools did you need to do it. I am thinking it might be a little more than the wife's sewing machine could handle. Gene was right, it will be expensive to have one made.

Thanks,

DW

I've made and used a couple of the traditional type dodgers, got the instructions and info from Taylor's "Successful Waterfowling".
Pretty easy to make and they do work pretty good. I have right now a semi-traditional one hoop dodger that does provide a little more coverage, still pretty easy to make and install, but you'll need the Bimini sockets, and you may have to install them with wedges depending on the slope of your deck.

I can see that the full blown Bimini styles will give you a lot of coverage, you'll also have a lot more wind sail on the boat.

First off, thanks to all for sharing your thoughts. This is interesting. May as well get a price on both styles, but it seems pretty clear the Bimini style is likely to be more expensive. Yet from the response they also appear more useful in most respects.

I was also wondering about logistics (especially in light of George S's note concering the increased wind exposure surface). Specificallly:

Do you folks trailer your boat with the dodger erected, or is it necessary (and smart) to trailer with the dodger stowed/secured in some manner?

Can either or both styles take a small amount of a wave's top (maybe about 4 inches) over the bow without collapsing or being damaged?

How much wind can they handle without being damaged or endangering the boat or occupants?

How easily are these put up and down?

Thanks for any further input. Like anything boat related, it seems there is a lot to consider before deciding whether to act and, if so, in what direction to go.

Last edited:
First off, thanks to all for sharing your thoughts. This is interesting. May as well get a price on both styles, but it seems pretty clear the Bimini style is likely to be more expensive. Yet from the response they also appear more useful in most respects.

I was also wondering about logistics (especially in light of George S's note concering the increased wind exposure surface). Specificallly:
Do you folks trailer your boat with the dodger erected, or is it necessary (and smart) to trailer with the dodger stowed/secured in some manner?
Can either or both styles take a small amount of a wave's top (maybe about 4 inches) over the bow without collapsing or being damaged?

How much wind can they handle without being damaged or endangering the boat or occupants?

How easily are these put up and down?

Thanks for any further input. Like anything boat related, it seems there is a lot to consider before deciding whether to act and, if so, in what direction to go.
I'm anchored or beached It doesn't seem to move. Under power to an fro no problem, setting dekes in wind, yes but drift through wind at back. its easy to handle.

Yes, 70mph plus no problem down interstate. Plus you don't have to piss with putting up and camo at launch or once at spot.

My full dodger holds up some pretty big splashes on Bays and keeps water out of boat. I used Gavnized 3/4 pipe. My chessie climbs over/ jumps off on top of mine, much to my disapproval.

Don't know.

Depends if you make it stronger to stay up all time or need to fold down. I leave mine up all season but i can pull pin and down it comes to lay flat. But
I only take off to wash and clean at end of season.

Gene

The ones I've made are pretty strong I'd say, they handle sloppy weather ok, that said, taking a solid hit from a breaking wave...well, I guess it depends., lol.
The ones I've made are still held up by the stick, just forward the cockpit, pull the stick and the dodger folds down.
You want to make sure the canvas is attached so it clears any cockpit hatch you may have.

If you can find or borrow Zack Taylors book, you will see some drawings of some, and the directions for making one. So easy a Bayman can do it. lol.

Thanks for the further input, folks. That's great news, Gene R, that you're able to trailer yours with the dodger up; must say it comes as a surprise.

Thanks for the further input, folks. That's great news, Gene R, that you're able to trailer yours with the dodger up; must say it comes as a surprise.

I have an estuary and I have no issue at all towing the boat at highway speeds with the dodger up. I'll also add that I really enjoy having a full dodger. I can sit closer to the end for a better field of view on calmer days and just slide back a bit for more cover on rain/wind/snow days. I lose some visibility when I'm back too far. While you have the sewing machine out, build yourself an accordion roll style hatch cover. The combination of cover and dodger will keep you dry and warm in just about any weather you would want to hunt in.

Ryan

Last edited:
Ryan, good point, forgot that. I fought with camo draped over cockpit for a couple years. Had local lady sew up a roll up cover put fiberglass elec. fence post rods cut to length in it. The dog can run right over it before launching into the h2o.

Gene

Steve,

I agree with Gene R., I trailer mine with the Dodger in place and zipped up and have had no problems. I travel with it from PA to The jersey shore, 1-3hrs on the interstate, depending on where I choose to hunt. When it is grassed up I place a tarp over it Just to keep the grass from blowing away.

As far as handling waves over the bow....Not a proud moment but I will share.... I have 1/2" aluminum for my bows, denier 1000, and it is snapped directly to the hull. This day I luckily had the complete fore and aft denier cover on and zipped up around me like a kayak. I have a 12' rig and got caught heading back in to the ramp too late, obviously, in 5-6'ers! Take a look at how low profile the nose on my BBSB is, it was completely under water going into each wave. The dodger never faultered or budged with direct hits from the waves which were breaking across it and over it, the rig took on no water. I was wearing a full face mask and still the The wind and rain from this day was like needles on my face and eyes and absolutely no issues from the dodger. I have also crawled over the dodger myself and had no issues with bending the aluminum.

Putting it up and down, I actually have what I called a 3 stage dodger. Fully up is complete wrap around dodger and zip up aft cover. This covers the front to the motor under the dodger( my lab lays under the rear cover on the aft part of the rig). I can take of the rear section and 3/4 of my rig is under cover. I can also fold it half way down and have just a spray shield( this is easier for teal as this gives the hunter an increased field of view). It only take 3-4 min to do either, though I usually leave it all up. Something to think of... You might want to use denier 500 as the 1000 shrinks when cold and gets very tight on and makes snapping and unsnapping difficult.

David Wheeler,

No I had no previous experience with canvas or sewing for that matter( my mother in law helped). You can use a standard sewing machine as my wifes was used in this project, just bought a heavier needle and take it slow. I used paper and packing tape on the erected frame to make a pattern and went from there. I will try to find pics of making the pattern if you like.

I would recommend using denier 500 as it will be easier to sew and does not shrink as much as the denier 1000.

Good Luck!

Yikes, Gene. Just reading that story gave me a light feeling in my stomach. Glad you made it home safely. Also have given me some food for thought. Thanks.

Back