Trailer hitch cargo carriers?

Scott Bell

Have any of you used something like this? We have a couple of big dogs, and a small SUV that we typically use when travelling, so when we're hauling stuff, it's always an adventure getting everything to fit in the back of the vehicle, leave room for the dogs and not have it all topple over at some point during the trip. I have a trailer and don't mind using it, but typically the volume of stuff isn't nearly that large. Anybody use these hitch mounted cargo carriers? Seems like a great place to stash decoys after the hunt as well. Thanks, and happy new year!!

Scott

Scott,

I looked at most of the commercially built ones and they to me just seemed to flimsy so I built my own. I used it behind both my jeep to move cross country and on my fj cruiser for stuff around town. I really liked and used it a lot and the only problem I had was when I left it on my jeep for too long and it rusted in the receiver. Just hooked it up to the truck and pulled it off. I finally got rid of it when I moved up to a truck. I would think you could find a welder or fabrication shop in your area and have it built for just a little more then buying one outright.

Neil

Hi Scott,
I have one and use it on a regular basis. I first bought it when loading stuff up for the World Show in Ocean City about 12 years ago or so. I couldn't fit our "Mud Box" into the van with everything else so I bought a "back porch" for my van. Fits in the hitch well and is very handy. You just need to remember it's back there when you are backing up. ;)
Lou

I have used a Hitch/Haul from Cabela's for many years. I have carried as many as 3 deer home from deer camp on it at one time. I do have some issues with it. I don't like that it is two pieces bolted together instead of a solid frame. Also eventually the welds where the mesh are attached to the frame will rust out and the mesh will break loose.

I own a jeep wrangler so getting some extra cargo capacity was a must. A good cargo container or a truck tool box bolted on to it gave me lots of lockable storage space when I had the roof off in the summer. I bought my first one in 2003 and owned it for about 7 years then bought a new one. I probably would still have the first if someone hadn't rear ended it. (another plus, no damage to my jeep)

Back