Travelling Decoys???

Carl,

This last St I got the pleasure of hunting over Drake while he was being handed over from Wendell to Dave. I've been planing on writing the hunt up but I'll share the crew shot now. Unfortunately it was a wicked slow day with only a couple of buffies to show for it.

View attachment GroupShot.JPG

Dave was to have him shipped out Monday. So either he's on the road or at his next location.

Scott

Drake arrived in Pennsylvania today he will be headed to new Jersey on Saturday I will send some updates then.

The forecast was for a severe winter storm to hit the Jersey coast on Saturday, so what better way to spend the day than taking Drake out for a swim in the marsh in Brigantine. The ride down was relatively calm, just a light snowfall most blowing off the road before settling down. We got to the ramp to find it clogged with construction vehicles and only enough room for three trucks with trailers. After launching the boat we had to borrow a little space from the BPOE next door, and we were on our way.

We headed into the marsh with a fine snow stinging my making it a slower go than normal. The tide was lower than I had anticipated so I spent a little time pushing the boat, and had to settle for a secondary location. Decoys were set out and the boat was set with the wind at our backs.
IMG_0175_zps6sf3ldfe.jpg

IMG_0192_zpsven69up2.jpg

The wind howled at our backs, but we had slow steady action from passing black ducks and a few little divers. My buddy Dan made a nice shot on the first black of the day and JD made a quick retrieve. I must have bent the barrel on my shotgun on the way out because I burned up half a box of shells before I brought own a big fat black duck of my own. We saw a few buffies, but I was able to scare them off with my ineptitude. A few snow geese gave us a look, but with only 3 shot in the boat they would not surrender. I think one said it tickled. The final bird of the day came as I was handing decoys over the blind and heard the familiar sound of Brant behind me. I retrieved my gun from inside the boat and with thick rubber gloves on shot it with both feet mired in the mud over my left shoulder. This leads me to believe I should be sitting backward in the boat so that all of my shots are off balance and contorted.
IMG_0182_zps5cahsylf.jpg
IMG_0178_01_zpspece1s5c.jpg
IMG_0199_zpst6pjatiq.jpg
IMG_0186_01_zpsyesmocbf.jpg

IMG_0189_zpsdwriilhf.jpg

Some, none duck hunters, would call us nuts for going out in these conditions, but we were safe, we had fun, and stories to share. That is a success any day foul or fair.
Not to say that having the right equipment can make the day more tolerable.

IMG_0193_01_zpsz7jevqy0.jpg

Nice shots Shawn. Saturday was definitely a real waterfowler's day in NJ. Having that roof on your blind must have been nice! I spent some time this morning shoveling my boat out from yesterday.

Made it back to the marsh today, what a difference from the last trip. Sunny, windy and 55 degrees. The birds really did not co-operate today at all. With a flood tide and the weather conditions we were held to a single bird. Unfortunately I don't think I am going to make it out again this week and drake is going back in the box on his way to his next stop on Monday. Hopefully next time I am blessed to get a traveler that pesky thing "work" will not get in the way.

Back