Tuckerton 2016 Photos - MORE

Steve Sanford

All~

I was busy with my camera when I could find the time this past weekend. I will begin with some of my 79 "keeper" images - boiled down from over 300 - and add more to this thread as I can. The whole weekend was truly memorable. I enjoyed meeting so many people - especially many whom I "knew" from this site but had never met in person. The streak continues: I have yet to meet anyone from this site who was not a pleasure to know and visit with.

And, I learned a lot from many builders, carvers and gunners.

Day 1 for me was Friday. I left the farm at 6:00 AM and made my way to Paul Dobrosky's house about an hour north of Tuckerton. The NYS Thruway and Garden State Parkway happily accepted both my trailer and my EZ Pass - but some adventure ensued thanks to an unforeseen Express Lane - which blew me right past Paul's exit - and then those famous NJ "jug handles". After a fine visit with Paul - seeing his boats, gear and exceptional decoys and carvings - I took my rig down to the Show to drop it off. A weekend-long pleasure of watching, meeting and working with the Parks staff and volunteers began at the gate - with a gracious welcome from the young lady with the all-important clipboard. I soon after met German Georgieff and more staff - all helpful, professional and friendly throughout.

I then drove a half-hour south to an old friend - for company and hospitality. We headed for his docked boat - and a 3-hour tour that shared some elements with Gilligan's famous outing. This 20-footer has a nice Garvey bottom - with a Suzuki 140.

F%2002_zpsxddm4hp4.jpg

F%2001%20A_zps9rpkzmy5.jpg

As a Long Island native, saltmarsh is an important part of me. The amazing expanses along the Jersey coast stir the soul.

F%2003_zps5xyib3gl.jpg

F%2005_zpsazpe3iz4.jpg

F%2006_zpsbrlbf392.jpg

F%2007_zpss98qaxln.jpg

It has been a while since I had visited with some of the plants: Spartina cynosuroides (Big Cordgrass) is always a favorite.

F%2008_zpsjtj4ytem.jpg

Spartina alterniflora is Smooth Cordgrass - the common saltmarsh grass in the intertidal zone.
F%2009_zpsq065qegx.jpg

But, too much interest in botany can be bad for your health - when the engine will not re-start and a mosquito-laden night is only a couple of hours away.....

With the boat's batteries unresponsive AND the cell phone's charge almost gone, there was just enough time to leave a couple of brief messages. Happily - after lining the vessel against the wind in knee-deep bank mud for not quite an hour - we were rescued by a colleague with a willing 20-horse.

F%2010_zpsp2r4dstb.jpg

He lashed his craft to ours and idled us homeward - as night crept inexorably toward us.

F%2011_zpsa63erpen.jpg

F%2012_zpsmnustgtw.jpg

F%2013_zpskvbm4chw.jpg

Although the batteries could not start the engine, they could power the running lights. We got back just as night enveloped us.

F%2014_zpswoeapeho.jpg

Day 2 was Saturday - the first day of the Ocean County Decoy & Gunning Show (aka Tuckerton). We were all greeted by an unanticipated drizzle that lasted into the early afternoon.

Raindrops_zps55kacixg.jpg

Neverthless, there was lots to see and learn - in the Land of the Wawa....

WAWA_zpsdy9taxui.jpg

Fareed and his family were among the many smiling faces of duckboats.net members that I met while gathered around RED-LEG. He spun tales of his youth - hunting waterfowl in Pakistan. I now know that "The Punjab" is the "land of five rivers".

SB%2001_zpswqxrr0ph.jpg

Here I m being grilled by the Judges. I think it was German who observed: "You talk more than most of the guys."

SB%2021%20-%20SJS%20by%20Scott%20Swain_zpssb6fzhkw.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Marty Kristiansen (but do not hold me to the spelling....)

Please correct me with any misspellings or misinformation.

SB%2003_zpscyld97cq.jpg

SB%2005_zps5wrto3te.jpg

SB%2002_zpsc3b4fv4o.jpg

SB%2006_zpssfa6yjxq.jpg

SB%2004_zpslxrlvskr.jpg

This gunning coffin is made by Ken (?) Barnett. He took my plans from the 1980s and developed some excellent improvements over the years.

SB%2007_zpsh5yjd0da.jpg

That is Bob Fricke standing at the stern of his fine 'box.

SB%2009_zpsy5pksnah.jpg

SB%2010_zpsv3cfpccf.jpg

SB%2015_zpsl7ijtqmy.jpg

SB%2014_zpsukjqijxe.jpg

SB%2008_zpsg3uekhfh.jpg

Bill Simonsen had several well-restored sneakboxes on hand. This one - built by Van Sant - will be coming up here to Washington County - for my gunning partner Jamie Woods.

VS%2002_zpsxnnekgft.jpg

VS%2001_zpskebqprdz.jpg

This is Dave Clark's Estuary. He gave me some very useful sewing pointers - and also sold me some sweet compartmented decoy bags.

SB%2011_zpsvuhnnv6a.jpg

This is one of Tony Homer's / Waterfowl Works new Sneakboxes. I believe this is the rowing model.

SB%2012_zpszcyyralo.jpg

And, I think this is the outboard-powered version.

SB%2013_zpsc4kieqix.jpg

Somehow, Dave Diefenderfer spirited this Long Island Scooter past the Ocean County Customs & Border Patrol....

O%2015_zpskbrwbfop.jpg

Dave taught Bill and Willie Simonsen all about Dodge & Krowl Scooters....

O%2013_zps3y8uquh6.jpg

SB%2019_zpsaxepq1er.jpg

SB%2018_zpsyh6st7w9.jpg

This tiny craft is either from the Youth Section of the catalog - or is more appropriately called a "ditch box". I never did learn the history.

SB%2016_zpsz27kvpcd.jpg

I am guessing - but certainly do not know - that this is a Gus Heinrich's 'box - or at least a knock-off. CORRECTION - Thanks to Tony Homer - this is a Higbee by Ray's Plastic - with non-stock cockpit cut into her foredeck.

SB%2017_zps14p3v26e.jpg

Stay tuned for the rest - after I get some rest....

Well, I've got a few hours sleep in me now, so.....

DECOY CONTEST

I did not spend much time here - or enter any birds - but Parks staff explained it to me Sunday morning. Most of the competition is for "indigenous" styles: Barnegat Bay and Delaware River. They also had a Contemporary Gunner class that seems open to "outsider" styles like my birds. Maybe next year......

The featured species this year was Brant - so the 6-bird rigs were floating right on the pond.

D%2001_zpsxku4xyin.jpg

A nice belt of Bulrush grew alongside the pond.

D%2010_zpsvigcnknn.jpg

In no particular order, here are some birds that caught my eye.....

D%2017_zpsre23bajl.jpg

D%2005_zpsaerwcw68.jpg

D%2016%20A_zpsbtvwnoqo.jpg

D%2004_zpsmuty2nif.jpg

D%2002_zpslyjogkpq.jpg

D%2003_zpsmme2ixzc.jpg

D%2015_zpsgbsfwkmj.jpg

D%2014_zps2d9z0xm2.jpg

D%2013_zpsxflh9p52.jpg

D%2012_zpsrylkg0m2.jpg

D%2011_zpsf7ufzu5k.jpg

D%2007_zpsfvojhn0j.jpg

D%2008_zpszwxmpywj.jpg

D%2006_zpssebkl2ri.jpg

D%2009_zpsmwsss35o.jpg

MORE BOATS

Here are some of the non-Sneakbox factory boats offered for sale.

B%2009_zpse5sp8fbz.jpg

My host took home a pair of these - for his son and himself.

B%2008_zps2ghoimgx.jpg

Best-Behaved Retrieving Dog.....

B%2007_zps7ulekma3.jpg

B%2006_zpseabayojd.jpg

B%2005_zpsbwivjb73.jpg

B%2004_zpspioryzey.jpg

B%2003_zps7v7e90fp.jpg

B%2002_zps1erexb9r.jpg

B%2001_zpselp8eow3.jpg

MORE VENDORS & FRIENDS

I brought home a nice chunk of 4-inch Atlantic White Cedar - to become a pair of Wigeon and a pair of Gadwalls for my own rig - maybe in the dead of winter ????

O%2002_zpssixdp0d1.jpg

I enjoyed meeting Russ Allen and George Strunk - set up right next to each other.

O%2003_zps5xxefsjd.jpg

I even got George to smile for the camera. I really admire his work.

O%2003%20A_zpszura05y9.jpg

O%2003%20B_zpsrsezv0si.jpg

O%2003%20D_zpspcegltyt.jpg

O%2003%20C_zpswdtpnoyn.jpg

Jode Hillman had some good leads for me - trying to track down the original builder of RED-LEG.

O%2020_zpsdn7zngjz.jpg

O%2008_zpsu0atvpt6.jpg

O%2008%20A_zpsm4ezsuu6.jpg

O%2005_zps6jfyvt3c.jpg

It seems like NASA landed this right amongst Tony Homer's display.....

O%2006_zpsswmemu0t.jpg

O%2001_zpszhqbfbzu.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Last edited:
WOW great stuff. the last photo in the truck is a late 1970s Higbee sneak box made by Ray plastics. Someone cut the deck open on that classic. I almost got to bring it to the shop to fix it.

Steve it was a pleasure meeting you and talking to you. Maybe we can do it again next year as well.

Steve, thanks for sharing. Tuckerton is on my bucket list and I really appreciate you taking the time to document and post your visit.

Best - Paul

Thanks for sharing Steve. Missed going this year due to chasing bluefin on Cape Cod, not the worst thing in the world!

Great pictures as always Steve, glad you got my dog in there he has been at the show every year for the past 10 or so years. When not there he discourages door to door salesmen at the house. Hope you can make it down again next year, give me some notice and I will make sure I am in the area if your host has more electrical issues on the water.....

Steve:

Great photos- thanks for posting. I wonder if there is a source for those decoy rack hook fastners shown in the closeup detail photo? The only type I've found are screw type.

Somehow, Dave Diefenderfer spirited this Long Island Scooter past the Ocean County Customs & Border Patrol....

O%2015_zpskbrwbfop.jpg

THAT SCOFFLAW!

Steve, thanks for posting all these photos. I'd love to say I'd go to the show some day, but I'm pretty sure those Ocean County Customs and Border Patrol Agents have my mug shot and would deny entrance. I'll have to get some pointers from Dave on how to sneak in...

Best
Chuck

Steve~

As a matter of fact, I asked Bob Frick the same thing. He gets them from Jamestown Distributors - one of my go-to vendors for marine stuff, especially fasteners. However, I just searched JD site for "hook and eye" and did not find these. I will try sending them a photo later on.

All the best,

SJS

Even though I only live an hour away it has been several years since I went to the Tuckerton show. But the absolute coolest boat I ever saw there-and this boat was not even practical, and I doubt it stayed the way it was built-was an inboard sneakbox. I don't remember who built it, though I do remember they were local, but it seemed like the person had built boats before, maybe boats quite a bit bigger. It was a cedar plank boat, built in the classic style. The problem was that the engine took up a good part of the cockpit, so like I said, it wasn't practical-but it was inventive, and was probably fun to run around. I am sure that the person that made it had a lot of fun doing it. Did anyone else ever see that boat? It was about 10 years ago.

Steve~

Searching for Cabin Door Hook - as in "Brass Cabin Door Hook" or "Stainless Steel Cabin Door Hook" in Google Images found lots of sources.

Actually, Jamestown Distributors has a good selection of both Brass and Stainless

All the best,

SJS

Greg..... I recall that boat. I believe you are correct on the timeframe as well, that was the last Tuckerton show I attended. Glad to see it has made a comeback from those days....

Back