Very lucky day for me

Jay K

It has been a pretty challenging season here in NJ for myself and a lot of folks. Lack of weather up north has lead to basically stale birds, the ones here seem to be pretty fat and happy, very content with their safe food sources. The running theme of the season seems to be "just 2 black ducks."

I had off Monday so the plan was to try a new spot. Day started off not so lucky in that I dropped my headlamp in the water at the ramp. The first luck of the day was it turned on, and I left it on, for the entire trek through the very dark bay at 5am. I set up in a nice little pocket off a bigger body of water I had been eyeing on Google maps. It was slow at first legal and then I ended up wounding a black duck. After a pretty long and disappointing search, I set back up. Didn't take much longer for the ever-faithful next black duck to show up. This one did it perfect and I downed in one shot. As I picked the bird up, I saw it. It was banded. After 10 years of duck hunting, I finally shot a band. I was in disbelief. I remember saying to myself "You just shot a band..." over and over. To say I was over the moon happy is an understatement.

Rest of the early morning was uneventful. I wasn't going to shoot another black duck because I had one unrecovered. I had broadbill decoys with me and after watching a small raft across the river all morning, I went over and switched it up. I set a small 14 decoy line of broadbills. Only had a group of 4 buzz by but not close enough. I decided to call it for the day with a nice banded bird in hand. As I stood up, about 50 yds down river in a pocket in the marsh, something caught my eye. I saw a head pop up and a wing tip flutter. I walked down and it was a wounded black duck. I dispatched it quickly. It was the right thing to do and I wondered was it the one I shot? Sure enough, later on that night after breasting it out, Boss #4 copper plated bismuth was removed from the bird (another advantage to shooting Boss). It was the one I shot. 300-400 yds from where I shot it, the complete opposite side of the river, 3 hours later.

It was just a lucky day all around. The banded bird was pretty special. The band took a solid hour and half of acid etching. Everyone was guessing it was quite old. Muriatic acid for 3 minutes, rinse, examine, repeat. Finally, I was able to get the last 2 numbers. When I reported it, I realized how special it was. It was a 10 year old bird, hatched the year I started waterfowl hunting. It was born in NJ, likely lived here it's whole life, was shot and killed right across the bay by a hunter who also lived in NJ his whole life. As you can see it was also shot in a storied duck hunting marsh here.

The plan is to honor the trophy by having a special decoy carved proudly displaying the band.

I might pause before I say "just black ducks" when someone asks me how my hunt went, going forward. After 10 years I was starting to take them for granted and I don't believe I will going forward.

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

A big old bird like that around here would get all my hunting partners talking about "Canadian Red Legs". Now I've got proof that at least some of those big old late season birds are local. (Not that any Maine hunter would actually accept an argument made with New Jersey evidence . . . LOL!)

A big old bird like that around here would get all my hunting partners talking about "Canadian Red Legs". Now I've got proof that at least some of those big old late season birds are local. (Not that any Maine hunter would actually accept an argument made with New Jersey evidence . . . LOL!)

Yes, I have heard "Nova Scotia Red Leggers" but have heard Maine as well. I thought for sure the band report would be from Nova Scotia. Was very surprised and actually pretty happy it ended up being a local bird.

Congrats on the banded black duck. That would make a season for just about anyone I know. Appreciate you taking time to share your hunt with us.

It has been a pretty challenging season here in NJ for myself and a lot of folks. Lack of weather up north has lead to basically stale birds, the ones here seem to be pretty fat and happy, very content with their safe food sources. The running theme of the season seems to be "just 2 black ducks."

I had off Monday so the plan was to try a new spot. Day started off not so lucky in that I dropped my headlamp in the water at the ramp. The first luck of the day was it turned on, and I left it on, for the entire trek through the very dark bay at 5am. I set up in a nice little pocket off a bigger body of water I had been eyeing on Google maps. It was slow at first legal and then I ended up wounding a black duck. After a pretty long and disappointing search, I set back up. Didn't take much longer for the ever-faithful next black duck to show up. This one did it perfect and I downed in one shot. As I picked the bird up, I saw it. It was banded. After 10 years of duck hunting, I finally shot a band. I was in disbelief. I remember saying to myself "You just shot a band..." over and over. To say I was over the moon happy is an understatement.

Rest of the early morning was uneventful. I wasn't going to shoot another black duck because I had one unrecovered. I had broadbill decoys with me and after watching a small raft across the river all morning, I went over and switched it up. I set a small 14 decoy line of broadbills. Only had a group of 4 buzz by but not close enough. I decided to call it for the day with a nice banded bird in hand. As I stood up, about 50 yds down river in a pocket in the marsh, something caught my eye. I saw a head pop up and a wing tip flutter. I walked down and it was a wounded black duck. I dispatched it quickly. It was the right thing to do and I wondered was it the one I shot? Sure enough, later on that night after breasting it out, Boss #4 copper plated bismuth was removed from the bird (another advantage to shooting Boss). It was the one I shot. 300-400 yds from where I shot it, the complete opposite side of the river, 3 hours later.

It was just a lucky day all around. The banded bird was pretty special. The band took a solid hour and half of acid etching. Everyone was guessing it was quite old. Muriatic acid for 3 minutes, rinse, examine, repeat. Finally, I was able to get the last 2 numbers. When I reported it, I realized how special it was. It was a 10 year old bird, hatched the year I started waterfowl hunting. It was born in NJ, likely lived here it's whole life, was shot and killed right across the bay by a hunter who also lived in NJ his whole life. As you can see it was also shot in a storied duck hunting marsh here.

The plan is to honor the trophy by having a special decoy carved proudly displaying the band.

I might pause before I say "just black ducks" when someone asks me how my hunt went, going forward. After 10 years I was starting to take them for granted and I don't believe I will going forward.

View attachment 53910

View attachment 53911

View attachment 53912
That's awesome. A great way to cap off the season

Fantastic Jay!
we're tied at one band a piece!
Ah, the old "northern red-leg" debate, we haven't had that in a long time. I've got a prime spoonie with bright orange legs mounted, does that count? He obviously came from up north!

Fantastic Jay!
we're tied at one band a piece!
Ah, the old "northern red-leg" debate, we haven't had that in a long time. I've got a prime spoonie with bright orange legs mounted, does that count? He obviously came from up north!

I'd for sure like to know what possibly causes it but I think the geographical debate could be put to rest.

My theory? Water temperature. As the season gets colder, the ducks need more blood flow to their legs while roosting in the water. Seems like all the red/bright leg specimens I shot were late in the season.

What Brad said.
Its all hormone levels.
Older drakes prime up first, so their hormones levels elevate sooner than young males.
And so big fat older drakes get the brighter legs sooner.
Hours of sunlight drive hormone levels.

What a special day, and that's a beautiful old warrior of a bird. Imagine how many gunners he has dodged over the years. Congratulations on a memorable outing.

It's hormones. I don't mean to start the debate over but it is part of their annual cycle like getting all dressed up in breeding plumage.

No argument from me! Seems like a very logical explanation.

What Brad said.
Its all hormone levels.
Older drakes prime up first, so their hormones levels elevate sooner than young males.
And so big fat older drakes get the brighter legs sooner.
Hours of sunlight drive hormone levels.

Also seems to be consistent with what I've seen as well.

No argument from me! Seems like a very logical explanation.

Also seems to be consistent with what I've seen as well.
Jay, I neglected to say what a great story and brace of black ducks. Congratulations on the birds and the band.

View attachment 53910

View attachment 53911

View attachment 53912
Enjoyed the story. Good for you on getting not only a band but your cripple as well.

Great story!!! Never say "just Black Ducks". They are wary birds, tough to decoy, especially when they are local birds that have been shot at for months. If you're decoying Black Ducks you're doing something right!!!

Great story!!! Never say "just Black Ducks". They are wary birds, tough to decoy, especially when they are local birds that have been shot at for months. If you're decoying Black Ducks you're doing something right!!!

This bird actually decoyed very well. I'm used to their normal antics: getting up over top and flaring, coming in hot and then putting the brakes on, and of course their signature landing just out of range outside the decoys. The ones I have had the most luck with are those that come in hot, low, right over the sedge. At that shallow angle I tend to blend in very well. This bird had every intention of landing in the decoys which I actually had very close to the boat that day. I feel very fortunate.

Back