Waterfowling Thought for today - Logging your waterfowling...

Pat Gregory

Taking a page out of Jim Schmiedlin's playbook, Jim was big on logging one's waterfowling hunts. Jim was very detailed and had an amazing memory. He knew how many of each ducks were harvested, who attended the hunt, and, what were the conditions and, logged all this in his log book. Jim also made remarques on all the bottom of his decoys that were in the rig a particular year and the year they hunted. He also logged the weight of the decoy. His log book actually matched the bottom of his decoys. Jim logged all his hunts since 1974. Jim inspired me to start this practice so, I began a log book at the beginning of last season.

What practices do you do to log your hunts? Post them up!

Here's to you Jim!!!

View attachment jim.jpg

Last edited:
Years ago when I started my first job after college I began running with an older colleague. He had the same approach to running. He logged his miles, the day, the weather, distance, route, and who he ran with. He typically added a brief narrative. I found it inspirational as he had several log books and had enough miles to circle the earth 1.5x's around.

Since, I have kept a log of my days afield and training days with the pups along the way. This became even more important to me when my son, Tyler, began hunting with me. My log or journal started as a written entry in a leather bound book. As time has progressed it has moved to an electronic record. I record a narrative of the hunt, attendees, harvest, weather, wind, tide, and location. I track all of this on a Google Earth map with a pin on the map for every hunt. The pins have links to photographs from the hunt to remember the sunrise and the memories from that special day.

Chad A

Last edited:
Nice work Chad! Someday, Tyler will read through that and have great memories of his days hunting with his dad! I appreciate the time you spend afield with him. They are precious and, may God bless you with many... Pat

I hope you remember to put in a note about how Tyler saved our butts by making you buy him a $1.50 fire starter that we needed to light the heaters after they got soaked and would not start on there own.

Great point Shawn! As I recall, that was the last hunt of the Coastal Zone last year. You, Connor (as you seem to call him), Tyler and I. That is a brief story that Pat would love.

Pat- On one occasion Tyler and I had made a quick stop into the local Harbor Freight. While at the register, Tyler spotted one of their cheap fire-starters in the impulse section near the counter. I don't think Shawn is far off on the price. It was certainly less than $2. Being a young teenage boy, Tyler was convinced he had to have it and wanted to learn to start a fire with the "flint and steel" device. I gave in because what "boy" doesn't think it's cool to start a fire with a spark. Well, Tyler tossed the fire starter on the counter and that is the last I saw of it. Fast forward to the final hunt of the 2014-2015 season. Shawn, his son Connor, Tyler and I decided on a place to meet up. It was going to be a higher than normal tide, the wind was blowing pretty hard, and the rain was coming down cold and icy. We launched the boats and headed to our spot. Once the decoys were set and the boats were anchored up, we began to get the rest of our things ready in the boats. As our movement in the boats began to slow down, we turned to look with anticipation at the morning sky and sunrise. While we waited anxiously for wings and grey shadows to move in our direction the cold began to set in. First the hands, then the feet. We made the decision to give the little trusty portable propane heater a try. Shawn and Connor went to work on theirs, Tyler and I on ours. No luck. Prime the fuel, push the igniter, and nothing. Just a click. Upon closer look, there was no spark from the igniter. We continued to try to no avail. We could smell the propane, so we knew gas was flowing, but we couldn't convince a spark to come forth. The search began in both boats for a lighter, matches or something. Nothing. Tyler began to look over the blind into the marsh with a thought roiling in his brain. I asked him what he was looking for, to which he replied "rocks." I asked him why he was looking for rocks and he began to explain how maybe we could strike them together to create a spark and light the heater. As he was formulating his idea, a light bulb went off in his head and he quickly grabbed for another small "possibles" bag he had with him. His hand quickly reached into the bag and came out with the Made in China, $1.50, fires tarter, purchased and later forgotten, from Harbor Freight. He handed me the fire starter and asked if it would work. A couple of attempts later, we had a flame lit and the heater was drying itself off. As the flame burst forth, I was humorously reminded of Tom Hanks' line in Castaway, "I make fire!" I then moved over to Shawn's boat and we got his lit as well so he and Connor could also enjoy the warmth of their heater. At that moment, Shawn reminded me that know matter how many times I may get frustrated at Tyler when something doesn't go just right, he just bailed us out of what could have been a miserably cold day.

I figured, having met and hunted with Tyler before, and of course being a Boy Scout, you might enjoy the son coming through being prepared!

Chad A

Pat:
I have been logging & taking pictures from an early age.
I have alot of albums to reflect on when I sit by the fire,
We forget alot of the years, sometimes the best of hunts.

I use an Excel spread sheet. I record the date, location, weather, number of shells used and number & species of birds taken. And a column for notes.
Every know & then I look back at my logs from 1998-2004, to remind what the "good old days" were like here. Back when I hunted 25+ days a year and had to make tough choices like "do we want to kill another limit of gadwalls or change it up and go for teal or divers tomorrow?". 2004-05 was the last great year we had here, lots off gadwalls early in the season and then in January we got covered up with greater scaup, redheads and cans. It was amazing diver hunting that year.

I started logging my hunts in an excel spreadsheet after my brother told me he had been doing this for his steelhead fishing and helped his success tremendously. I think we have all had the dicussion with our hunting partner "Remember 2 years ago in November when we hammered them at such and such on a south wind. No that was December with a north wind blah blah." I did the excel for a few years and it was amazing how bad our memories were. The long discussions with us both being sure of what happened went down and our success went up. Then when Gmail came about and smart phones came into the picture I moved the spreadsheet over to a google doc now google drive and then made a form with drop downs to fill in the log so it could be searchable. That's what I get for being a Manufacturing Engineer and somewhat of a data junkie. I also shared it with my hunting partner so he could log his hunts without me into the same spreadsheet. With the google form I can easily log all of my data as soon as I get back to the truck after a hunt on my phone instead of waiting until I am at the PC with the spreadsheet on it. I would like to be able to link pictures to the particular hunt but haven't bothered to figure if you can in using the google forms. Instead I save all of my pictures by the season on my PC.

Pat,

I went on my first duck hunt in 1957. I wish I had begun my log at that time. We started a log book at our family duck camp in 1976 and have religiously kept it up. In 1979 I began recording my away-from-home hunts on various log sheets that were commercially available from Crossroads of Sport and Wild Wings. Somewhat recently I adapted the Wild Wings text and blanks that I print on nice paper, fill them out after each hunt, and at the end of the season, three hole punch them, and insert in a nice leather-bound notebook. The unusual feature of my system is that I leave room at the bottom for a photograph of each hunt. I have devised a way to insert the image at the right place in a WORD document, and then print it on the log sheet.

In fact I just returned from Manitoba where we had spectacular diver shooting, and earlier today I printed the photos from those shoots on the log sheets.

Jeff Churan

Back