Well... I did it... DOG LAYOUT

Phil Nowack

Full day today. I purchased the foam for Kodi's layout. Then I made a road trip to the Filson store in Minneapolis. I made the leap and purchased a Filson Shelter Waterfowler coat. I really like it... SO FAR.

Last edited:
sounds like a productive day to me! Hope you were able to fit a beer or two into that schedule :).

48 degrees and moist out. I was amazed how warm I got in this with a wool sweater on under!!! Just 3 trips across the yard... I was amazed by how warm I was getting!

Good thing this is a mostly male site... as the model looks to be terribly sexy!

Interested in your dog layout. Have you determined how water will drain away from cockpit after dog makes a retreive ?

As I intend for this to be tethered to my layout, and it will be in 3-4 feet of water.. there will be a 3/4" rubber mat on the bottom, and I will use a hand bilge pump to drain the water.... Experience may cause me to alter that plan.

Phil, the coat looks like the standard camo that everyone wore in the 40s and 50s. I was hoping you also had a Jones hat.
Al

and 1 hours of work on Kodi's layout

If you think the bottom might be near waterline or above, you might want to think about making it self bailing. Water in - water out.

Phil, years ago we designed a dog layout. If you raise the cockpit area 4 inches you can put a drain hole in the bottom of the boat. If you want to get real creative once you have shaped the boat and if you have water access you can figure out the water line by placing weights on the top of the boat and mimicking the weight of your dog when he is wet. then mark the foam inside along the edge while its in the water to achieve the water line. Then simply raise the floor a inch higher and install a drain in the floor. We created a channel with a drain in the middle and had the floor slightly angles to allow all the water to drain properly. This was a must for a dog layout due to cold water and freezing. We also created steps into the actual deck much like our UFO for ease of climbing into the boat.
With that said make sure your boats long enough and able to allow the dog to climb aboard without him flipping or a non stable platform to climb up on. Its a tricky design to get it right but it can be done and with you using it tethered that will help too.

Phil
If I were you I would read and reread Toni's post to you. I've been a lifeguard for many years but I'll be damned if I have to retrieve Kodi if he tips over :)
wis boz

If I have made any mistakes... I guarantee Kodi will not die because of it... Kodi has chased cripes for over a 1/4 mile on the river.. . in the event that foam that is mathematically supposed to support 600# flips... I am sure that he can swim... To save me even...

WHEW....BE STILL MY BEATING HEART PHIL!!! Nice jacket indeed....

How big is Kodi's layout or did I miss that? Reason I ask is because it reminds me a lot of the float tube that I used with Drake and Mike for a dog platform. and I found out the hard way that if there wasn't some way to keep it from flipping, Drake would keep trying to get up on it and it would continue to flip over on him....but using two or three stake out poles through the handles fixed that problem. And do you plan on having a step or something like that to make it easier on Kodi to get in or did I miss that part too? Again, just my experience with the float tube is that if Drake couldn't reach the bottom with his back legs, getting onto the float tube required a little extra help from me. Since I was standing next to it, it wasn't a big deal but if you're in a layout and he's in his own layout that might make it a little more problematic.....

Last edited:
Dani, I was aferd that you would get you heart in a flutter over those pics....

The size of Kodi's layout is 4x5. There will be steps on it. It will also be tethered to mine. The 4x10' layout is not even slightly unstable for a 200# man to climb in to it out of 4' of water. I am speculating the sa me to be true for Kodi. we will test it this summer.

Oh Phil how could I not? I better not look at them at work....won't do to be all flustered....

good to hear that there will be steps...that sure would make the float tube easier for the dogs to get up on (and me less wet)

Geez louise Phil/Dani,,,,,,,,,, get a room! :>) :>) (good thing everybody here on this board owns a pair of chest waders)

Back