What a long strange trip it's been....

LI-Jack

It's been awhile since I've posted on this board, too long. Been lurking and enjoying the posts of so many hunts, and projects. I still see a lot of founding members active, so many years, Eric did a great job with this page- even before Facebook was popular.

I didn't hunt this season, well I got out once with some assistance. It's been a rough journey, took a big hit this year but I'm staying strong. In June, I was involved in a serious accident which took my lower left leg. I'm just getting back into the swing of things, and I can't wait till next season.

If there's a way to put on waders with a prosthetic I'll be practicing all spring-summer. I'm considering wader stocking with external shoes, but I'm not sure if they'll keep me warm.

If anyone has any experience with this please let me know, it's been a long strange trip so far, but I'm not giving up waterfowling!

Regards,
Jack

Wow, what a year you had. It's great to see the positive attitude you are moving forward with.
I hope you can keep getting out more and more.

Good luck and take care,
Tim

I have been using stocking foot waders for hunting for years now, and I wouldn't go back to boot foot waders unless I planned on standing in cold water for a long time. I have breathables for warmer weather and neoprene's for colder weather. I think with your situation they will work out well. I am assuming you have a prosthetic foot also to fill the wader and the boot. The thing I like about them the best is the flexibility. They are cut longer through the crotch than boot foot waders, and it makes it really easy to get in and out of the boat, twist around, kneel, all the stuff you do when hunting out of a sneak box.

I saw you post back in Dec and was hoping you were going to come back to us!

Sorry to hear about the leg! Medical problems sure can throw a wrench in things. I'd go someplace with a bunch of waders to try and give them all a try. With stocking foot waders the boots can be a pain to get on, get good ones.

Wow, Jack, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Sounds like you have a great attitude and that is priceless. Good luck.

Yes especially when you were healthy all your life an some fool on a phone runs a red light. However, I am lucky compared to some Vets I see at the doctors office getting fitted for prosthetics.

I did post in December on the hearing protection, that's when I started to get birdy-LOL.

Thanks for all the links and information guys, I've never tried the stocking foot waders but it looks like that's in my future. I've got to make a trip to cabelas.

Regards,
Jack

Good to see you posting again! Better to hear that you're getting back in the game.

Chance still around?

Bob

Hey Bob,
Thanks. Chance is still around, 100# of pure energy. When I got out of the hospital, which was 80 days too long, and he saw me he went crazy. Chance looks at my fake leg, and watching me limp around and I swear he limps around as sympathy. I say this because once he sees a squirrel he's almost knocks me down and is off to the races.

I'll have to resize some photos of my last hunt with him last season. He'll be well rested for next year, the pheasants and ducks won't know what hit them.

Regards,
Jack

I'm not sure what kind of prosthetic you have, but my Dad lost his Left leg above the knee in Viet Nam. He never wore wader, but always wore hip boots. His leg was like a full leg/foot made of fiberglass. He had someone make him a special long shoe horn to get it on. Getting it off was a process of someone else just tugging til it came off.

I'm sorry for the terrible year, and hope for a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions feel free to hit me up. My Dad was an amputee for 35+ years, he never let anything in the outdoors stop him. He may not of done it as fast, or as graceful, but he did it. I wish the best of luck

Lance

Glad to see your positive and look forward to your hunting experiences in 2017.

Regards,
Kristan

Hello Jack,
We have never met, however, I want to thank you for showing your strength and passion for our sport and LIFE! I am sorry for the timing and misfortune, I can not even begin to see your perspective and how it has changed! Happy to hear your still "standing" with us all here and in life. I will ask for you to keep us posted on your progress, Though not a boat build or decoy carved, your story is just as fascinating, complex, and so worth sharing. I wish you all the best in this new look at duck hunting and living your life. I am humble to see your bravado and willingness to share with all of us here on the site. Ever make it to or when ready to come to Jersey to shoot our coastline.. let me know!!

God Bless,
Randy

Hi Jack -

Another suggestion might be to call one of the major wader manufacturers and solicit their advice. I bet you are not the first to ask the questions you have. Maybe they would even ask you to be a part of their development team. Stranger things have happened.

Mark

Jack,

There are a bunch of guys on this sight that are really good with sewing machines, with enough time and some ingenuity I am sure there is an answer. Not at all the same, but I wore stocking foot waders with a broken leg on one cold year and just put the walking cast over the waders. I had no issues with keeping warm. The key is to make sure that you do not make anything so tight as to reduce the insulating factor.
Good luck, and keep posting I really look forward to your posts from the marsh.

Jack: I can tell you a lot about getting waders that fit over my reconstructed and fused ankle--car accident here, too.

I did have a fishing buddy who use to wear waders over a prosthetic foot. It was a long time ago and I can't remember what he used.

I have a friend who does a lot of work through Project Healing Waters, which works with veterans. I know he's got at least one participant who lost a leg in Vietnam and fishes with the group. I'll see if he has any thoughts.

As for keeping warm--you can definitely keep warm in stocking foot waders, if you have good layers and socks underneath.

Jack - I very much admire your fortitude and courage, and can only imagine your ordeal. I suggest talking to someone at LL Bean, Simms, Patagonia, or Orvis. They have the proper staff and knowledge to give you the best help and products available for your situation. If they cannot help they may know who can, but I'd bet that they can help you.

I wish you all the best, and if you want keep us posted.

Back