What does your duck dog do during the off season?

Al Hansen

I know it doesn't taste like duck feathers however I am thinking that Chip doesn't mind. He sure had fun but then, so did I!
Al

_MG_0004_zpshgrhffff.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_0026_zpshmzya06i.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_0030_zps4oirgmkd.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_0073_zpsnvgbxj7g.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_0075_zpscxlsrlia.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_0091_zpshbqdqsik.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_0095_zpski0wasem.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_0096_zpstk8vgs6d.jpg
[/URL]

We do this often and whenever possible if there is enough water in the Rio Grande, we go there, too! After all it is only 1 1/2 miles away.

I don't live in a good area for it but I would be teaching my dog to shed hunt.
You can have him quarter back and forth like upland hunting. A fun way to work the dog in the off season. "Find the bone"
My dog gets dry land bumper training maybe 4-5 days a week.
He does not get enough water in the off season.
Stern

Cap is presently recovering from ACL surgery, for a tear in January. Nothing like a young dog with lots of energy--He is doing rehab, and should be just fine for next season. We are presently doing a ton of walking on a leash, reviewing the basics. Probably this july we will be back to doing water stuff, along with marked retrieves with the retriever trainer. Bugger loves to run!

Last edited:
There is no question that Chip looks happy.

We go between no rules frisbee and serious retrieving. The frisbee is a great way to burn off his energy but I now have tendonitis in my elbow so that might be slowing down some. Later on he will do more swimming.

I was testing out a camera for this next hunting season and took some video of Deuce playing in the back yard. The intro is a little long. :)
Deuce playing frisbee

Tim

All we need is a tennis ball. Or what I mean is that is all HE needs. (and a brother to whup on every now and then)

TimJ
What kind of Frisbee is that?
Now that Jet is 2 and understands the bird game I would like to introduce the Frisbee. Looks like a good one.

TimJ
What kind of Frisbee is that?
Now that Jet is 2 and understands the bird game I would like to introduce the Frisbee. Looks like a good one.

It's a Nerf Dog Flyer. I can't seem to find this one online. It is shaped like a tire and I found it at Walmart. The flat propeller ones they have are tough too but they always veer badly to the side. This one goes fairly straight.
He's had it for a month and a half and seem to be taking all the punishment he can inflict. I don't let him have it unless we are playing though.
http://www.nerfpet.com/products.html

I was thinking the same way as you. Now that he is 2 and been on many birds he can tell the difference between work and play.

Tim

I like that shot of KC, Dave. Smart dog. More than anything I found myself staring at all that water. Have a great spring and summer.
Al

David, we have quite a few people in this area that have trained their dogs to find sheds. Good to know that you are working with your dog. I find it relaxing to work with Chip and Habi. By the way the Rio Grande has been running pretty good so far this year even with all the agricultural use it gets so I will be taking my dogs there, also.
Al

Best of luck to Cap and his recovery, George. Good to hear of your program with more training/reviews. That is something I need to do, also.
Al

Tim, there is no doubt about his love for retrieving and also having fun with the frisbee. You have done wonders with him. Congratulations on that hard work. I'll look forward to your pheasant season this year and seeing some more shots.
Al

I agree about the tennis ball, Tom. In fact I put one out so that when we are on a walkabout , Chip can give chase to it. Thanks for the reminder.
Al

Al, this is some of my "skinny water" in Breton Bay.....which connects to the Potomac......which connects to the Chesapeake.......then on to the Atlantic. Big water is easy to find around here. And KC loves a good boat ride. Hope all is well with you, the wife, and pups!

Dave

Back