What's on the bench? January 2024

View attachment 53939

I took an art workshop today. 1 day class. Bob Ross style with a Bob Ross instructed teacher. My first oil painting on a flat surface. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. Had some frustrations with one of the brushes but think I could have managed it with a different brush the instructor provided us but didn't end up using....should have thought of it myself. But it was fun and I learned a lot and had more fun there than at work 🤪

Clouds are TOUGH!
Very cool Dani, flatwork is a totally different beast. I like it!

Whipped up another baby rattle for one of my future great-grandkids. Going to make a baby rattle for each grandchild. Not actually for them, but for their future babies. (no pressure on the grandkids that are already married, but I keep reminding them I'm not getting any younger.)

I figure I better get the rattles made up while I am still able, hard telling just how many years it will be, before the youngest grandchild (presently 13 years old) blesses the family with more offspring.

Made from Red Oak with a pure beeswax finish.
20240120_113041.jpg

20240120_113002.jpg

This one is made from White Oak. The lower view is sanded and polished. The upper view is the same with beeswax added as a finish. The wax really brings out the richness of the wood grain.20240120_164159.jpg

Last edited:
Been a work in progress since September. Partly because I’ve been working too much; partly because I’m the world’s worst procrastinator ..

But finished just in time for a hunt with a good friend…. I saw a Eurasian over at his place just after season last year and told him now he has to put me on one.
Was hoping this would help tip the odds in my favor.. No Eurasians committed unfortunately but he did his job.

IMG_9045.jpeg
Still have some detail paint to add before I call done done

IMG_9137.jpeg
IMG_9170.jpeg
Next to mine and my mentors Cans that did their part

I think based on these results if any Euros had been in the area it would have worked

IMG_9142.jpeg

Last edited:
DMM's mighty fine Decoys with his style from then to now. His decoy style may vary but the gleam/life in the decoys eyes does not. That is the quality of very good Decoys the essence of life.

Keep On Keepin' On Decoy Monster Machine

Best regards
Vince

DMM's mighty fine Decoys with his style from then to now. His decoy style may vary but the gleam/life in the decoys eyes does not. That is the quality of very good Decoys the essence of life.

Keep On Keepin' On Decoy Monster Machine

Best regards
Vince
Vince these bad boys are hanging in the new shop

Last edited:
Vince these bad boys are hanging in the hew shop

Tim I just checked out yer King Diver. Made me smile that yer still creating very good working decoys. Brings back many fond memories of the wonderful and crazy times at Westlake. The friendships and bonds with other folks took place there lasted a lifetime (unless ya judged the pool, LOL).

As decoy carvers/makers it's always good to have old gunning decoys around. Helps to keep us inspired and in The Groove. Enjoy your new shop for many years to come. Salude!

Best regards
Vince

Finished up my Harli Drake. It was a good exercise in anatomy and color mixing for me.
IMG_20240124_145301232.jpg
IMG_20240124_144148420.jpg
Now our freezing temps have suddenly dis-appeared and the rain has been falling steadily. The River - which had dropped back down - is on the rise again and duck season is in 'til Sunday, followed by late goose into February.

Silvio Dante.jpg

Tim I just checked out yer King Diver. Made me smile that yer still creating very good working decoys. Brings back many fond memories of the wonderful and crazy times at Westlake. The friendships and bonds with other folks took place there lasted a lifetime (unless ya judged the pool, LOL).

As decoy carvers/makers it's always good to have old gunning decoys around. Helps to keep us inspired and in The Groove. Enjoy your new shop for many years to come. Salude!

Best regards
Vince
We are now on the NY and PQ borders in VT. Hoping to hit Clayton this summer you should think about coming up

We are now on the NY and PQ borders in VT. Hoping to hit Clayton this summer you should think about coming up

It would be good to see you, and the other dear friends we have made over the years in the decoy/waterfowling community. Have not been to the Clayton show since 2013 so we are overdue. Spoke with Paul Busick last week he mentioned coming to NY for a decoy show to see everyone that are still around/alive. We are all much older now but still have a strong bond that keeps us checking up on each other.

Best regards
Vince

Should be working on some Argentina birds, however i am attempting a pair of black ducks again. Wanting to try some new painting skills and want to minimize variables .

Also changing up how I carve . These birds are going to be carved with all hand tools (axe, spoke shave, chisels, grand dad’s draw knife and cape forge knife)

I usually carve with a foredom.. but it’s been aggravating me lately .. need to rebuild.. and also frustrated as even though I wear my respirator diligently.. I still always cough and hack a few days afterwards .

So far I’m pleased with the changes

And yes George these are still going to have some raised wings IMG_9329.jpeg

Spent some time working up some new patterns and gluing up cedar bottom boards & tailboards to body-blocks. Got 4 patterns in the works, two of which have been refined to my satisfaction.IMGP9865 (954 x 628).jpg

IMGP9880.JPG

Back