Whats on the workbench in June?

Turned this one today;

call556.jpg

Acrylic stabilized, spalted maple.

Nice work guys.

Got nothing on the workbench. How about my June project getting my workshop installed in an old cabin from a logging camp? Got some of my woodwork tools into the "new" shop. An previous owner had used it for some sort of shop, I must have removed about 20 lbs of nails from the walls where he drove a nail every time he wanted to hang something up. Now to get the walls painted something other than lime green. Old tongue and grove doug fir flooring, any recommendations for floor coverings, if any? This floor has a number of holes drilled in it and some areas that have had oil spills. I want something easy to clean and comfortable to stand on. Been thinking of going as is or covering it with a layer of plywood.

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

Tom,
In a way I think those of us without "schools" of carving are both lucky and unlucky at the same time. We have the freedom to do what we want with out work. However I do wish I had some local aspects to incorporate into my carvings. I do spend quite a bit of time thinking about my local hunting conditions and those considerations are finding there way into my work.

Bob, Those stick ups are really cool. Those and the frond decoys really stand out as original works of yours. Please keep posting the shop photos I love them.

Jeff, those sleepers are really cool. Can't want to see them in the paint.

Pat, You are really cranking them out how many new ones are you adding to your rig this season?

Jim, I mean this in a positive way, that is one ugly call. I would love to have that one. Very cool character in that one.

Brad, I love the shop. Wood floors are the best in my mind, drop a tool and no damage.

Last edited:
Thanks Brandon. I sure hope he will. Now once I make all these through the years I just have to hope he hunts! If not, Im sure I can put them to good use. Ive decided not to put the keels on any of them. Thats something we can do together later before he uses them, or he can do should he get into carving.

Brandon - My plan for adding decoys to my rig at this point are...

6 - Cork bluebills for my layout rig
6 - Cork widgeon for my Mud Lake (puddle duck) Rig
6 - Cedar BWT for my teal rig
6 - Hollow white pine bluebills for my Mud Lake Rig (supplemental divers)
6 - Cork canvasbacks for my layout rig

Then, it's time to hunt... :)

Locke,
I like that pin he has some style to him.

Geoff,
I can't believe your really went and slummed it with cork next thing we know you will be sewing your decoys. All kidding aside they are really nice I love the clean heads I can't even tell they are scratch painted.

Pat,
You make me feel like a slacker with only 17 decoys currently on the bench. Your a machine.

I finally have something to put on this thread! A Hooded Merg made out of cork and Basswood. Painted with acrylics.

2012-06-02_10-08-55_136.jpg
http://[/img]

Geoff,
I can't believe your really went and slummed it with cork next thing we know you will be sewing your decoys.

We all know Geoff would NEVER stoop that low...or would he...

Seriously though...that hen is sexy! Glad your OCD didn't force you to sand off all the cork charactor.

Best
Chuck

Geoff,
I can't believe your really went and slummed it with cork next thing we know you will be sewing your decoys.

Seriously though...that hen is sexy! Glad your OCD didn't force you to sand off all the cork charactor.

Best
Chuck

knowing geoff's work, he probably sanded it so smoothe that he had to add the cork divots back in

Geoff,

Best
Chuck

knowing geoff's work, he probably sanded it so smoothe that he had to add the cork divots back in

You know the worst part is there is a little truth to that statement.

Back