What's the best oil for makin' donuts?

Yukon Mike

Me and Meg want to make some cake donuts for hunting trips, but we've never made a donut before. We have a good recipe, but it doesn't say if we should use lard or oil.

Mike

Bear fat if you can get a hold of some. I have a buddy who takes bear fat and boils it down. Makes the best donuts in the world. Lard is what we use if we have no bear fat.

OK lard it is. If I see a chubby bear this weekend I'll shoot him, but barring that, we'll go with the lard. Thanks guys.

Mike

You dont have any bear grease in the pantry?
I'm shocked!

Seriously, if you dont care for the artery clogging characteristics of lard, canola oil should be good. In my experiece, when frying, unless using very high temps, the correct temp and maintaining stable temp is more important that the grease you use.
If using high heat (over 375) peanut oil is the best. I would think for donuts you will be using lower temps, though.

Mike reading your thread is the best laugh I have all week perhaps if you see yogi-bear you could ask him if he
would donate some bear fat for your doenuts.

I'd be camped on your door step. I haven't had homemade donuts in 30 years. I just might have to find a recipe myself.

Seriously, if you dont care for the artery clogging characteristics of lard, canola oil should be good.
No offence, but I doubt Mike is really looking for a 'healthy alternative' by making homemade donuts. I can't be much help other than to say "Mmmm, donuts"
600px-Lard_Lad.png

Last edited:
Crisco. The wife and I just made "Funnel cake" a week or so ago and it tasted just like the donuts my mom and sisters used to make.I ate a squatload of it before taking some the the garbage disposal known as "The Yard". A heaping plate of it lasted about 30 seconds. There was recipe's on the website for donuts and waffles too. We just used vegetable oil but mom always used Crisco in a big pot. You really need a donut shooter to make them.

Back