while this is not duck related I'm sure some will enjoy

greg setter

Sponsor
I had a beautiful oak tree in my front yard that I had to take down after 20 years of it slowly dying. It was a magnificent tree and I kept it going as long as I could so safely. At the time I took it down I decided to leave the stump around 6" tall because I wanted to do something unique with it. After thinking about it for a year I settled on a reproduction of an old lamp I had when I was a kid of Continental soldier. I live outside of Philadelphia where colonial themes are very strong. I do believe that I found the uniqueness I was looking for. I hope you all enjoy this.continental soldier.jpg

Greg,

That's pretty cool. Did you carve it yourself? All the better if you did. I've been wanting to take on a log/stump carving project for some time. We own a camp in Maine with a number of large carvings that are getting a little old. As big of a job as it is, it won't be the same place without carvings. In our case there are moose, a wolf, a couple of bears, an eagle and some Indian heads. All 5-7 feet tall or long.

Did you carve it yourself?

SJ Fairbank:

I had someone come in to do this. Working with wood is not my thing. What you have sounds like it really fits for your camp. What general area of Maine are you in?

Last edited:
Did you carve it yourself?

SJ Fairbank:

I had someone come in to do this. Working with wood is not my thing. What you have sounds like it really fits for your camp. What general area of Maine are you in?
The person who carved it has some talent. No room for error on a fixed piece like that. I wouldn't have the guts to try.

The camp is on Moosehead Lake, a couple miles north of Greenville. It's in the northwest part of the state. We bought it from a couple who had the carvings done in the 90's, recently we heard the carver is no longer active. I especially like Wolfie. He's about six feet long, he guards the lake view while howling at the moon.

Attachments

• 20180513_165913.jpg
    20180513_165913.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back