Who hunts deer?

After a little over three weeks of getting up at 5:00AM and being prone by 8:30PM, along with a lot of staring at tree trunks for movement or a horizontal profile that was out of place, luck rolled my way in black powder season.

He was bedded on a high spot on the edge of a series of three beaver floodings at the base of a "finger" that dropped down from a series of near-parallel drumlins that extended down to the southeast from a big red oak flat. He came in to an estrus bleat call...the Big Can, on my third calling sequence about 9:00AM. The downside? Due to terrain and property boundaries, I had to process him in the field and haul the meat out via a series of hikes. My new knee held up well, my old back did not.

RL Very nice Buck there! Surprised to see a pic from up your way with no snow!

Our Black powder starts Saturday and I cant wait.

I am Breaking out the old Doc White .451 Cal for this season. Shot it at the range yesterday and its touching holes at 75 yards with big 460 grain conicals. Nothing like the big boomers.

Many days I do both. Mornings duck hunting, back to camp for lunch and then afternoon watch for deer.
New York's deer season is very long, Oct 1st -December 19th, so you can hunt them during the split

IMG_3479_zpsbb94aee1.jpg
[/URL]

100_0920_zpse7e2406e.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_5737.jpg
[/URL]

Use too hunt Deer a little when I live in Iowa, a lot more fun there than here in Kansas, now its mainly Ducks.

Last edited:
Jode, yes, last year about a week before the November 15th gun open a snowstorm dumped between two and nearly four feet of snow across the U.P. of Michigan-actually closed large numbers of woods roads and halted access to camps and hunting areas, as well as triggering deer migration to Winter Habitat Complexes(up here, the "magic" snow dept is 15" for migration trigger) on the south side of the peninsula. Many disgruntled deer hunters.

The humorous part of my deer pursuits: I have been after this buck...

Finally, after near-constant ATV traffic on the woods roads (illegal during shooting hours unless being used to retrieve a deer); blinds, bait piles and cameras placed to "hunt" and shoot down these seasonal roads, and general silliness, I switched to a different area.

Back