Why I Didnt Hunt This Morning

With duck season over bring on the heat. I want to get back to diving and blasting fish!

I went to a hike to check out some new shrooming spots. I was not disappointed....

Then had another monster party, I'm actually starting to make a dent in my death freezer.

The menu:
Chicken wings, coconut fried mahi mahi, black fish pie, venison chili, miatake/green bean casserole.

It's basically a very thick chowder with corn bread topping.

Cook a 1/2 lbs of chopped bacon rendering most of the fat

Throw in a chopped onion and heat till translucent.

Add in enough flour to soak up all the fat and brown it a little bit.

(I make my own fish stock and freeze it in 1 quart portions)
Add a quart of fish stock that's has been heated to almost boiling.

Bring to a boil, it should be pretty thick.

Add 4ish cups of potatoes and cook them in the stock
( you can smash some to thicken it too)

When the potatoes are done add the cubed fish, use as much as you want. Cook till just done otherwise it will fall apart.

Make a batch of corn bread break it up and mix with melted butter and old bay, put on top the fish

Put in oven at 350 until it browns and gets bubbly.

My stock has a lot of flavor in it, so I just season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.

Bon appetite!

sounds really good, thanks, I will have to try that this spring. I also make my own stock so I am going to have to wait until I catch a few. I made some chowder from striped bass this year which really turned out great, but had to be careful those suckers make some powerful stock.

No problem. I have always used black fish for stock and
Now That I spear I always have fresh and frozen fish on hand until winter.

I usually make 5gallon batches of stock, they freeze very well.

If I keep a striper it's just legal, (we can't shoot them in ct, but they are legal to spear in ri and ny) damn blue laws.

It actually holds up well and doesn't disintegrate like I thought it would

Went through a second round of tornado warnings & severe storms last night.
This morning the radar looks like this with one last line to the west a well:

[inline 01-22-17.jpg ]

Luckily, the front blow through later today and tomorrow is forecasted to be colder, sunny with a stiff north wind. I foresee a "wellness" day spent in the blind somewhere. Gotta get Bull on the water.

View attachment 01-22-17.jpg

Back