Winchester model 50. 20 gauge

john ford

I was able to pick up a near mint model 50 in 20 gauge deluxe with 28 full choke. Thinking about having Thin walled choke tubes installed. My next duck blind gun. I have realized that the older one gets the smaller the shotgun gauge becomes! Has anyone had any luck with the thin walled chokes? Thank you.

John,

Try Mike Orlen in Amherst, MA. It is his specialty and he can advise you. My experience with him has been prompt and excellent.

Good luck,

Matt

John~

I have no experience with choke tubes - but my Dad shot his Model 50 (12 gauge - 30-inch full) from when it was built (1954?) until his last double on Brant in January 2011. He was 85 at the time - and almost as reliable as his Winchester.

His Model 50 was Field Grade - and brought thousands of birds home over the years:

1992%20-%20TMS_near_Thatch_Island_zps6tiste7y.jpg

I still use it on some of my "Atlantic Tidewater" hunts - and for Longbeards in the Spring.

All the best,

SJS

Another option is to have factory choke opened to mod. or imp. mod. Thats about as open as you,ll be able to shoot steel thru and get consistent killing patterns out to 35yds. or so. Now you shoot some hdensity shells thru that same constriction and you,ll be amazed how far that little 20 will dropem!

I second just having it opened up and not messing with choke tubes. I'd probably go a little more open(Light Mod maybe) because steel, and some of the other non-tox, generally shoots tighter and some of the new wads are keeping tighter patterns. It's not going to be a very long range gun since it is only 2 3/4".

I've always thought a 20ga M50 would make an excellent dove gun. Love the feel of them. I've shot a M50 12 ga for years.

Tim

Tim....Tim....Tim......

"
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]It's not going to be a very long range gun since it is only 2 3/4". ?????? You are forgetting this is a Winchester!

I shoot nothing but 2-3/4 guns - my 1925 Model 12 and my Dad's 1954 Model 50. Both are 30-inch full and both have regularly made jaws drop over the years when the barrels were stretched a bit.

In 2011 - the December after my Dad passed away, I dropped a Canada on - actually across - a local river. I was gunning with 3 friends, each with about 50 duck seasons under their belts at the time. To a man - after they recovered their composures - each uttered something like: "That was the longest shot I've ever seen." Thanks to Google Earth, we could "measure" the distance - bank to bank - at 75 yards.

I'm no fan of skybusting - we typically take our birds over the rig. (This goose was an escapee that had stooled right in to the lap of a partner but decided to get the heck out of Dodge after being greeted with an errant fusillade of pellets.) But, there are times when longish shots are called for and these Winchesters have proven that they and some steel (3s for ducks, BBs for geese) are up to the task.

BTW: I am certainly no gun expert - but I like my full chokes for their long-range performance. I recognize that I pay the price a couple of times a season on close-in shots with the exceptionally tight patterns. If I had this 20, I might gun it for a season and then decide if I needed a more open bore or tubes.

All the best,

SJS

[/font]

Great Find !!!!
I'm a old Remington only shooter but that Winchester Model 50 is one of the best pointing gun I've ever had in my hands.

I agree with Mr. Sanford, about how old Winchesters pattern and what they are capable of in proper hands. Only old Browning A5's are in the same class, and no screw in chokes come close in my opinion.

Thank you. I will leave it as made.
Step one should be in any case to pattern the gun at 25 and 40 yd. with intended lds. to find out just whats happening.If yoo opt to leave it full and barrel actually mikes up as full don,t go any larger than # 3 steel pellets as those bigger steel pellets can cause barrel bulges in some instances when fired thru an old school lead full choke.

Steve belive me I know. Until last season I'd never shot anything in a 12ga except 2 3/4" shells. I've had my fair share of "probably shouldn't have shot but dropped 'em dead" type of shots with the M50. It does shoot a very tight pattern. In 12ga I really believe that the 2 3/4 will kill just fine at the ranges most people can consistently hit a target at. I only went to 3" last season because I was using an open choke in my new gun and wanted more shot to fill in the pattern.

The only thing that made me say it wasn't a long range gun was the fact that it's a 20ga. As much as I love the 20 in 2 3/4" it just doesn't hold much shot. I've shot some ducks and a goose or two with my 20ga M12 but I wouldn't feel comfortable taking it as a dedicated waterfowl gun if I wasn't expecting plenty of sub 35 yard shots. If I could afford to shoot the better shot then I'd likely change my mind.

Tim

Back